BLOOD 1 on a.... netbook?

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

snejk
Axe Zombie

BLOOD 1 on a.... netbook?

Post by snejk »

hello everybody

couple of months ago i bought an msi-u135 netbook (quite standard specs for theese type of computers - 1.6 Ghz, 2GB of RAM, integrated intel GMA 3150 video card and Windows 7 Starter). I'm quite pleased with the computer itself but.... i can't play my beloved BLOOD :( I guess I tried every single method to play but
1. my pc specs are to low to run dos box at playable speed
2. f*** windows 7 starter s*** won't allow me to maximize dos window so Blood won't run at all (xp method)
3.virtualized pc - on Windows ME i get a medicore performace (only 320x200 resolution) but i can't get sound working though (i mean FX because music is working)

and i just wonder is there any other method to run Blood properly and get the best of it on such a machine type?

Plz respond and help if u can
Last edited by snejk on Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Re: BLOOD 1 on a.... netbook?

Post by Tchernobog »

I am confused at this, I mean, my brother's old Dell Latitude D600 laptop seems to have less specs than that and he can run Blood on it, only real problem is its overheating problems. Though that guy is running Fedora 12 on it, though that probably does not make much of a difference in terms of Dosbox performance. So I do not see why you can not run it on you netbook. :?
snejk
Axe Zombie

Post by snejk »

still i'm asking what else can i do? i have about 1,3 GB of free RAM on windows 7 starter when it's idle so it's not the case of s*** system i guess (besides i can't use buildXP method as i mentioned before)
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Well, no promises, but if you have plenty of memory available I might have a trick for you.

First, try and find your dosbox configuration file, it should be called something like "dosbox-0.74.conf", though I honestly have no idea where it would be on Windows. Once you do find it, open it up with Notepad or something, and then search for the line "memsize=" and replace whatever number is in that line with "64", as that is the largest amount of memory dosbox is willing to take.

That may improve performance in Blood, though older programs might complain if you try using them with dosbox after that. So you may want to keep a backup of the old configuration file before you edit it.

Best of luck. :)
snejk
Axe Zombie

Post by snejk »

it works... kinda because i can't get a higher resoution than 320x240 or something (non vesa) to run at playable speed. still looking for help then

hmm... how about switching to window mode? I would be able to run it under W7 using buildXP trick i guess. How can i do so?
snejk
Axe Zombie

Post by snejk »

anybody?
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

I am sorry snejk, but I can only give you help based on my prior experience and I have never had the misfortune to have to battle with that particular problem. I can still wish you luck though.