NOLF as a BLOOD Mod?

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

BEAST
Zealot

NOLF as a BLOOD Mod?

Post by BEAST »

Although I never owned the game, I have been fascinated by No One Lives Forever, and am amazed by how far Monolith Productions went in terms of programming and design to create that game. From developing CLAW, BLOOD, SHOGO, and BLOOD 2, they had really pushed the LithTech engine and their own nutty sense of humor to create an excellent game (though I prefer the less sensitive DEUS EX AI to the ultra-sensitive AI of NOLF).

I was thinking that it would be an interesting concept to create an alternate NOLF as a mod for BLOOD. Because both those games have their own individual personalities, though with a similar if not identical vein of humor (one is bloodier and horrific, while the other is extremely dry), I think NOLF's concept and BLOOD's version of the BUILD engine would work perfectly together.

The boss fights of NOLF would come off as better in the BLOOD mod. I would think that the boss fights from BLOOD, would a little improvement, could do well as a template for the NOLF bosses. For example: the Scottsman could be modeled off of Cheogh, the German opera singer off of Shial, Volkov as Cerberus, the main villainess as Tchernobog (or something similar to Shub-Niggurath from Quake), and the evil Bond boss off of the Beast. To make them more interesting, the chemical HARM had been producing could turn the boss characters into grotesque nasties, or they could be fortified with classic Bond machinery.

How stealth could be incorporated, I don't know. The Cabal cultists would do nicely as HARM's soldiers, and they're would be tons of ways to make their deaths hilarious. Some of the level designs from Duke3D could provide inspiration, as well as from Bond and Austin Powers (or implement more of a BLOOD level design). Cate Archer could be given a new look, and lots of humorous lines whenever her enemies are blasted in a humorous fashion.

For the game poster, I was thinking along the lines of the BLOOD cover with white dripping lettering instead of read, and with a white lipstick kiss above the lettering in place of the bloody hand print.

Would this be a good idea or not a good idea?
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

I have never played NOLF, so I can not really give an opinion on this. However, I should warn you that due to some unpleasantness over arguments over certain modifications and fan games being legal or not, one can not talk about any ideas here which might potentially break copyright. I am afraid this idea might qualify. If you want more information about this I am sure Dusty can explain it better than me.
Corbin
Zealot

Post by Corbin »

At the very least, we can't get in trouble for saying, "It sounds like a pretty good concept". :D
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Just do it with original (if inspired) materials and you can do whatever you want. :D