Tchernobog: Different Expectations ?

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

BEAST
Zealot

Tchernobog: Different Expectations ?

Post by BEAST »

What were your expectations for Tchernobog before you played the game. I recall seeing what he looked like through the Monolith site Blood screamshots (eons ago) and through the BLOOD strategy guide. For some reason, I expected him more to be a giant skeletal humanoid version of the gargoyle, or rather like the Revenant from DOOM 2 with the turrets in his eyes. Keep in mind, these were all based on images I had seen ahead of time before playing the game. Tchernobog just appeared that way to me originally. After reading about Tchernobog's defeat in the strategy guide, I had hoped that the when the boss was defeated, he would just disappear, leaving a green smoky mist behind, rather than die and collapse first then disappear. It would have made his defeat stranger.

Others probably had a more grotesque and inspired image in mind.

On a point of the plot, would it have been more myserious and eerie (not to mention original) if Caleb was resurrected through means which were a mystery himself and to Tchernobog, rather than have Tchernobog intentionally resurrect Caleb after killing him just so he could receive a potently powerful sacrifice?

What did you expect for Tchernobog or the final boss while playing BLOOD to look like, and what did you expect from the final boss fight and the final level?
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Hmm, IDK. He did a pretty good job scaring the hell outta me when I was younger. Gotta say, just another enemy without much interesting AI, but the fact that he can set me on FIRE by STARING at me gave me the heeby jeebies.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Re: Tchernobog: Different Expectations ?

Post by Tchernobog »

Even though the memory is probably more fresh for me than for many other people here, I am not really sure what I expected Tchernobog to be. Based on the end level switches I did want something goaty, which is what we got in the end. :P

I am not alone in thinking that as a final boss old Tchernie is a bit of a pushover though. Compared to Cerberus he really is no competition at all, especially since in every single Monolith game I have played there is always one trick that makes defeating bosses incredibly easy (granted I have only played Blood, Blood II, and Shogo). Once you know that trick defeating them becomes laughable. The only true exception is in fact the one Cerberus in the Hall of Epiphany, who was quite difficult to defeat.
BEAST wrote:On a point of the plot, would it have been more myserious and eerie (not to mention original) if Caleb was resurrected through means which were a mystery himself and to Tchernobog, rather than have Tchernobog intentionally resurrect Caleb after killing him just so he could receive a potently powerful sacrifice?
While I can see the allure of this, the reason behind his resurrection is one of the key plot points of the game and I think I could see some people being annoyed if it was not properly explained.