Blood mod for Doom3 engine!

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Aleque

Blood mod for Doom3 engine!

Post by Aleque »

hey guys - what about making a Blood mod for Doom3?

read the topic here

http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/s ... PHPSESSID=
Kazashi
Shadow Warrior

Post by Kazashi »

Or, you could turn on realtime lighting in DarkPlaces and play Transfusion with fancy lighting already without the need to use Doom 3 ;)

I can't speak for the rest of the team, but it might not be easy to get them to help participate in a mod for another engine. We're overstretched as it is with a small team, and one of the goals of this project is to recreate the original game on a free platform, which Doom 3 won't be for another 5 years or more. That said, there's nothing much stopping anyone else from making such a mod, and there would be less in the way of legal obstacles if things like textures are recreated - which they might have to be to look good with normal/bumpmapping (these things can also be used in the DarkPlaces engine).

As I said, we're not going to stand in the way of making a Blood-themed mod for Doom 3. But if anyone wants to do some work there's an avenue they can already approach here, we've got lots of stuff that needs doing :)
Aleque

Re: Blood mod for Doom3 engine!

Post by Aleque »

to recreate the original game on a free platform, which Doom 3 won't be for another 5 years or more. <-- I don't realy understand. what is the difference on the rights of a free and nonfree platform - isn't it possible to edit/make custom models/maps/textures/sounds for nonfree platform? I mean what are the limitations and restrictions on a Doom3 engine...

And would it even be possible legally to edit the way that the Doom3 behaves - and what I mean by that is if it is possible to create Blood out of Doom3 engine as you've created it out of Quake1's?
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

Creating something using the Doom 3 engine would be great for an addon, a new episode or even a Blood 3. Full access to game code would not be required for that......

What Transfusion is trying to accomplish is re-creating Blood "exactly" as it was in the Build engine so that it can be played on newer computers because the original source for Blood will never be obtained. To do that, we need full access to game code of any engine we use to try to make everything behave the way it actually did in the original game.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Well, that all depends on how flexable the given engine is. To do it "right" with the Quake engine, yes we'd need the engine source. To do it right with the Doom3 engine, the default game tools may be the only thing that's needed.

That said, we still want to keep the game free and open if only not to be screwed over by legacy code that may or may not work on future machines, as we've found to be the case with Blood and Blood2.

On a personal note... I'll not have a box capable of runing Doom3 for quite a while. I'd actuly want something I can play and tinker with.
Kazashi
Shadow Warrior

Post by Kazashi »

By "free platform" I mean a game which doesn't require you to already own another game to run it. In the case of a Blood mod for Doom 3 you would need to own Doom 3. It's free access to the engine source as well as the game source that we aim for, so we can get as close a recreation as we possibly can.
Aleque

Re: Blood mod for Doom3 engine!

Post by Aleque »

so you dó want to recreate the glorious Blood in a Doom3 engine?

ok - I understand now: so CS i not free platform either because req
Aleque

Post by Aleque »

(I don't know what happened with a previous post... anyway - let's try again)

so you dó want to recreate the glorious Blood in a Doom3 engine? coz if you guys do, then check the link that I have posted in this topic (I have written some more ideas about the mod). Tell me everything you think about the idea and let me know

ok - I understand now: so CS i not free platform either because it requires HL. Well I personally don't think that people woudn't buy a particulat game to play a mod like D-Blood.
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

Well, let's put it in this way - recreation of Blood in Doom 3 engine would surely look awesome, but:

1) This engine allows maximum 4 players in multiplayer, and I guess there would be serious problems with changing this because otherwise id would do it in the first place, since many people complained about it far before the game was released.

2) This project has been running quite long as it is, and we still have a lot to do. We really can't change the engine, and almost everything else, each time a new game comes out. We would like to finish it as soon as we can, and then other things will be possible. I have a fiew ideas myslef, but let's get everything basic done first.
gencha

Post by gencha »

surely a remake in doom3 engine would look good, but a lot of the blood-feeling would be lost too.

a blood *mod* for doom3 on the other hand may be great.

but still, i would like to see more people putting their talent into transfusion before starting another blood project ;)
Aleque

Post by Aleque »

but a lot of the blood-feeling would be lost too <-- don't you think that it is possible to make the same bloody experience?

btw - what is Transfusion working on right now?

and guys - if you want to begin learning the Doom3 editor. I have posted a good link with text and video tutorials (the latest topic in the bottom)
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

btw - what is Transfusion working on right now?
DarkPlaces has given us more flexability than standard Quake. We are now trying to capitalize on that flexability.

There is a ton of stuff that needs to be done yet, but right now we are focusing on getting new MD3.s made and skinned to represent the various items found in Blood. We'd like to get all the Blood world items for "The Way of All Flesh" (Episode 1) recreated as MD3.s.

Our MD3 v_weps are done for the most part, we need to add texture animations for some of them. Most of the pickup items also have skins, though they are in various forms of compleation.

We also need have the new map features added to our current maps. These are rotating sections/doors and hidden exploders and a few other things I'm can't remember just now.

We also want to get crouching to work. LordHavoc (the DarkPlaces programmer) has stated that he thinks that he can get it working "properly" for the Quake1 map types. However DarkPlaces also supports Quake3 maps wich would also allow for crouching, so we've been having a running debate about switching map types.
Last edited by DustyStyx on Tue Aug 24, 2004 02:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post by Guest »

I am sorry but I can't understand the abbreviations that you are using...

DP? MD3?

What program are you using to skin/model and so on? And how many people are there in Transfusion?
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Sorry I was editing that post when you responded.

DP is DarkPlaces, an advanced Quake1 engine. It allows for all the Quake1 features as well as some features from HalfLife and Quake3.

MD3.s are the models used in Quake3. They are alot easier to work with than the old Quake1 model type. They also allow for alot more detail.

Kazashi uses Maya to make the models and I've been useing a combination of PaintShop Pro and the Java MD3 viewer to skin them.

You can see other team members here. Predator, -ED, Slink, and Daedalon have also contributed their skills to the project. (Sorry if I've missed anyone else.)

Post by Guest »

so it is QBlood you are making, but just in Q3 engine?

is it like you need some more members in your crew? and if yes, which role are you searching members in?