Remake of cultic add-on started

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

LifeKILLED
Axe Zombie

Remake of cultic add-on started

Post by LifeKILLED »

Hello

All 3 years I did a single map Ghost Of Family Killer (it brings in New Alone In The Dark add-on). I learned a lot, greatly raised their level. There is no need for me tolerate lack of interactivity and lack of design. And I learned more most number of MAPEDIT tricks than ever before.

Now I'm going to look at the past and try to take out a single thing. This is add-on Sect War - cult because of the many additions to gameplay using sectors and switches. Basically all talking about this because of the level of the chase by cars. It was release forced mapmakers to add bosses, interesting puzzles and other unusual items.

History note (my works):

1. The Secta (fist release of this add-on, mapmaker's fist start in 2003)

2. Sect War (remake of The Secta, any maps i strongly updated, any added, it version you see, 2006 year)

3. Old Friend (remake of Charmed's Old Friend - 35 maps of his 75 s*** I tried to do better in terms of design, 2006)

4. New Alone In The Dark (last map "Ghost Of Family Killer" that i maked three years, 2010 year)

Sect War is add-on of my life! But it had a very bad disadvantage. Lack of design, disgusting maps, over-complexity. I decided to rectify the situation and issue a new add-on for Blood based on Sect War. The quality of it will be much higher, and I swear to do everything what i can and to make upper their level to level of map Ghost Of Family Killer.

TODO:

1. I will delete 11 maps and take only 9 - less well looking - and will continue to work on them. More special effects, better detail, a pleasant and interesting gameplay. I'll do it all.

2. Story was changed. Now S.E.C.T. a political party Safe Economic Campaign Tactics. Will highlight the crisis theme. I'll record the dialogues in English and will run the sound with message subtitles.

3. Some weapons and enemies will be added like in TC.

I hope add-on S.E.C.T. remove from my damnation of Old Friend and you'll love this.

I'll try to finish for 3 months to 6 months. The project will be called S.E.C.T. (Safe Economic Campaign Tactics). High quality products guaranteed!

:shooting:
zZaRDoZz
Acolyte

Post by zZaRDoZz »

That "ghost of family killer" should be nominated for some sort of award based on what little I've seen of it.
LifeKILLED
Axe Zombie

Post by LifeKILLED »

Last news. Maps in progress. Wait for any news, screenshots and videos.
Last edited by LifeKILLED on Sun Jul 11, 2010 09:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
zZaRDoZz
Acolyte

Post by zZaRDoZz »

Wow, this will be the second project that puts an axe into the hands of Caleb! Listen, if you want a throwable axe, we have the RTS script for it. I doubt it will work for build though. :(
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

A little warning LifeKILLED, due to recent unpleasantness the moderators of this forum will not allow threads about something which potentially breaches copyright. The most common example of this is projects which take Blood content and place it on other engines or technology, even those made by Monolith Productions. I am not sure if the opposite applies, taking content from other things and putting it on top of Blood, but I would be careful in what you post.

Good luck on your project.
zZaRDoZz
Acolyte

Post by zZaRDoZz »

Ugh, he's got a point. Kinda forgot about it working both ways. LIFEKILLED, are those props just stand-ins? Surely there's an open source project with an axe?
LifeKILLED
Axe Zombie

Post by LifeKILLED »

I don't extract models or textures from this games. I'm just make screenshots and copy pixels from this. I can't make screenshots? Screenshots - it's not content and placement of screenshots not breaks copyrights (
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

I don't want to be the killjoy of projects people want to share, but if I have to play moderator there are rules that I should follow. I don't have a full understanding of copyright law, IANAL, but I know it's hella restrictive.

I know, I know, It's only a couple of weapons and you could theoretically claim fair use and say it's part of "interactive video game commentary", but then you get stories like "Men-at-work, sued for using bars from an obscure song written in 1930" and you have to think..."maybe it's a bad idea"

Anyway, because certain parties would not stop bitching about who stole what from who, I've just painted the whole mess in a broad brush of "f***-it-all".

If it's not original content (stuff you created yourself), if it's not something that's clearly stated that you can use (GPL, Creative Commons, etc.) and it's not directly from Blood, it's probably best to just avoid using it.
Blood of Nightmares
Zealot

Post by Blood of Nightmares »

Last edited by Blood of Nightmares on Thu Jul 08, 2010 07:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zZaRDoZz
Acolyte

Post by zZaRDoZz »

This is no show-stopper LIFEKILLED. There are opensource resource packs out there: Cube, Cube2, thousands of quake 1, 2, 3, mods that give permission to reuse materials, Halflife mods, even doom and build communities have tons of quality material that you can use. This really isn't thread killer stuff. Just 2 pics to remove and replace in time. I hope chris will stay his hand for a few days at least.
LifeKILLED
Axe Zombie

Post by LifeKILLED »

I can remove this pictures, but you will not talk ih this topic anytime.......... How i can kill this topic? )

Opensources and free packs of content, licenses...You know what matters this words?
1. It free project and i can add any i want. It's not for sale.
2. It isn't content of this games or blood, it's just badly created screenshots.

Content is models or textures (normalmaps and any). If take this in source and paste to Quake3, yes it's a stolen. But if i make shots from youtube, what i can't paste this?
zZaRDoZz
Acolyte

Post by zZaRDoZz »

You are right to feel that this is an overly extreme measure- it is. Also try to keep in mind that they're not trying to protect Atari's, Monolith's or GoG game's rights. They're just trying to protect their own quit-claim license. That's really what they're fearful of. It's not a position I agree with personally but I do respect the reasoning behind it.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Oh, I'll agree it is extream, and I don't even like it. It's largely why I've not actually removed the topics. I don't mind that people know about the xenoBloods. Projects should be for the fun you get out of it.

But if I have to cut it black and white, and wear the Transfusion moderator hat... It's actually pretty easy if you follow the three rules stated previously.

Anyway, good luck with your project LifeKILLED. See if you can get some slightly different sprites that aren't converted screen-shots.
LifeKILLED
Axe Zombie

Post by LifeKILLED »

If bloodities don't like idea take guns from Monolith games, I better make all in 3ds max and render... I want to create 2 monsters skins with this metod (yes i can this, you can see girls in Old Friend). And weapons a was create like this. I've removed post with pictures and news, you want it?
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

You don't have to remove the images. It shows progression of your work, and a good example of how projects can adapt to maintain IP independence.

It'll be great if you can model up some original vWeps and then render the animations for sprites in Blood. I'd love to see your results! Just be sure to make them different enough to not be confused with the screen-shot rips, or base them off of a real world object. It's kind of hard for anyone to argue what you've done if you show them pictures of the actual fire axe you picked up at the local hardware store to model it on.