"New Alone In The Dark" Addon Released

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderators: Slink, General Discussion Moderators

No One
Axe Zombie

"New Alone In The Dark" Addon Released

Postby No One » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:53 am

New Alone In The Dark
After one and a half years of work we are ready to officially introduce you this addon. For a long time we've been thinking of how to preserve the atmosphere of this game loved by all of us, but at the same time to extend the existing limits, bring up new gameplay and experience.
This time we've gone far beyond simple fan map-making and are going to prove to you that Blood is not this hopeless even without source code.
From the beginning BAITD was aimed at expanding gameplay, it can't be limited by common gameplay borders, so here you're going to see a lot of new features. This is new BAITD, so don't compare it to the previous versions and, more importantly, to other people's addons.

New weapons:
There are four new weapons at your disposal. Almost all of them have changed features and none of them replaces existing .art files since they're made using QAV animation.
ImageImageImageImage

Nonlinearity:
BAITD got even more freedom: the most of the locations have free exits and it's up to you to decide when to end the game. You have 5 ways to finish the game in total.

The new boss:
Even if he can't move he won't let you kill him so easily. More than 250 TX/RX values were used to trigger him. He has unbelievable intelligence and has the ability to foresee your actions, so you'd need strategic thinking to put him down.
ImageImageImageImage

Magic rituals:

It is difficult to present BAITD without magic rituals, after all it is one of bodies without which BAITD would not be basically. Now all is much easier: it is not necessary to run on a location any more and to collect books and other things, to begin ritual.

Image Image Image Image

Level design:
Every map has its unique gloomy style. You'll feel the mysterious atmosphere of abandoned places. Music, the surroundings, the story - all of this would keep you on the edge of the seat till the end. A lot of time was spent working on details. You'll find yourself in a new world which lives on its own and waits for you to explore it. You'll see ghosts. Encounter the unknown. Hear the darkness breathing with horror. All the levels are connected with each other as much as possible and will help you to learn the complicated story of BAITD.

ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

Launcher:

The program is made to work under DOS. We decided there's no point making a Windows launcher as everyone has DosBox set anyway. Mod makers can set it to work with their own addons. It currently supports: sprites with transparency, backgrounds, fonts and palette, infinite menu options, writings, scripts which are supposed to help you launch Blood with more options. All resources can be stored in one folder as well as in a special archive to keep your beloved game pure. All settings(design, scripts) are stored in one .ini file. It's open source too.
ImageImage

RECOMMENDATIONS:

* - Search for useful subjects in book shelves.
* - It is recommended to raise volume of allocated memory in DosBox if you use 36 MB.
* - Before start it is recommended to move or remove *.DEM files.

DOWNLOAD:
Installer version:
Official Site
RGhost
Megaupload
Filefront

ZIP archive (recommended for x64 users and other OS):
Official Site
RGhost
Filefront
Last edited by No One on Tue Jun 15, 2010 01:20 am, edited 9 times in total.
Bloody
Axe Zombie

Postby Bloody » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:28 am

Damn...... this sounds and looks awesome... I'll check it out later this evening...

will it be possible to play it with vdm.-. VLP-shortcuts ? Dosbox is no solution due to its bad performance for me.... :-x
No One
Axe Zombie

Postby No One » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:18 pm

VLP should work, though we did not test BAITD in this plan.
Simply change in properties of the VLP link "BLOOD.EXE" on "blaunch.exe" and do not change more than any options.
It simply launcher and he does not demand additional options. Thus as I already have written above you should change simply name EXE of a file in yours VLP link.
Bloody
Axe Zombie

Postby Bloody » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:49 pm

I'll check this out. I got other BAITD's to work with pointing the exe files on the vlp shortcuts, so I think it should work :D !

great, can't wait for it !

To exchange the weapons I have to follow the youtube video iunstruction, or are the weapons changed from the start ?
No One
Axe Zombie

Postby No One » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:57 pm

By default we have decided not to change the weapon for atmosphere, you can change and combine the weapon as in video on youtube.
Bloody
Axe Zombie

Postby Bloody » Mon Jun 14, 2010 01:51 pm

ah okay, did I get it right ? I can use these weapons also for regular blood ? change them as seen in the video and then launch blood ?
No One
Axe Zombie

Postby No One » Mon Jun 14, 2010 02:22 pm

Yes, all of you have correctly understood. You can use the new weapon in BAITD and in BLOOD.
Bloody
Axe Zombie

Postby Bloody » Mon Jun 14, 2010 02:32 pm

Hehe, thats a great thing man. A last question.. do these weapons replace old ones ? Or can I use for example the claws and the pitchfork.. switching them by pressing the weapon key a second time ?
No One
Axe Zombie

Postby No One » Mon Jun 14, 2010 02:37 pm

Unfortunately this weapon replaces old as I could not find a way how to create new (I hope that it temporarily), but you can save game, install new weapon or return old, and then load game.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Postby DustyStyx » Mon Jun 14, 2010 03:20 pm

Hurray! You get a sticky.

Unfortunately, as I'm running Windows 7 (64-bit), I'm having a few problems getting your add-on installed properly. It appears to be crapping out when in invokes BARF.

Are there any particular CMD commands that I can manually execute when I fire up DOSBox to get BARF to incorporate your game media?

I love how BLaunch.exe was made for DOS by the way! Any chance you could write up a full DOS installer as well? This would make it possible for anyone running DOSBox to install it properly (think Mac and Linux users)

Thanks
Last edited by DustyStyx on Mon Jun 14, 2010 04:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No One
Axe Zombie

Postby No One » Mon Jun 14, 2010 03:46 pm

WOW! Many thanks, I hope you will play it and estimate all possibilities BAITD.
Really, we planned installation without installer and right now I will add this variant.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Postby DustyStyx » Mon Jun 14, 2010 04:23 pm

Looks like you cought me when I was editing my post.

Do you have the contents of BAISET.BAT to get it to install through DOS? BARF is crapping out on me because Windows7 doesn't like it much.
No One
Axe Zombie

Postby No One » Mon Jun 14, 2010 04:37 pm

DustyStyx wrote:Looks like you cought me when I was editing my post.

Do you have the contents of BAISET.BAT to get it to install through DOS? BARF is crapping out on me because Windows7 doesn't like it much.

While I prepare a variant for x64 (though I not so understand this type of systems) I can suggest to create to you BAT file with such text and to start it in DosBox:

Code: Select all

barf.exe blood.rff @vox.rfs
barf.exe blood.rff @add.rfs
barf.exe sounds.rff @snd.rfs
del BAISET\*.kvx
del BAISET\*.raw
del BAISET\*.pal
del add.rfs
del vox.rfs
del snd.rfs
rmdir BAISET
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Postby DustyStyx » Mon Jun 14, 2010 05:08 pm

hmmm... that's not really working either.

I finally got it working properly by installing it through WinXP in VMWare, and then copying the Blood folder back over to the native install of 7 where I have DOSBox.

I'll trying playing it a bit later, but I burned up my spare time getting it installed properly this morning.
zZaRDoZz
Acolyte

Postby zZaRDoZz » Mon Jun 14, 2010 05:18 pm

I'm starting to think that blood user maps and mods should only be released with a standardized freeware installer program, one that would be easy to upload maps into. This might involve a standard method of installing and running blood as well if you intended to use add ons and such. The posty peeps have been pretty sharp of late when it comes to getting blood to run, maybe they'll cook up something.

Return to “General Blood”