Blood source code

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

cruxdustrial
Cultist

Blood source code

Post by cruxdustrial »

While visiting George Broussard's formspring account, I found an interesting question.
Do you have a copy of the Blood source code? http://blood.wiki-site.com/index.php/Bl ... e_Campaign
No. Monolith, or the original developers would have it. The shame is that once retail publishers are involved like GT Interactive, or now that Warner Brothers owns Monolith, there's zero chance of the source ever being released.
source: http://www.formspring.me/GeorgeBroussard

People in the Blood fan communities keep asking for the source code, this pretty much shows that it absolutely is not going to be released.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

While interesting, I am afraid there is nothing new here friend. Except for maybe the fact that George Broussard may now potentially know about the existance of my Wiki. :o

That is unless Matt Saetler happens to "forget" it on a park bench or something... :ninja:
zZaRDoZz
Acolyte

Post by zZaRDoZz »

"You must release your mind from the prison Blood's source code."

"Only then will Blood itself be free."
cruxdustrial
Cultist

Post by cruxdustrial »

At least monolith isn't developing F.3.A.R.

They also can't develop another Captain Claw, as it is jointly owned by Takarajimasha, Inc.

They aren't developing Alien vs. Predator 4 (Rebellion is, the same developer of 1 and 3).

They can't develop another No One Lives Forever game, as that is owned by Sierra Entertainment.

They aren't developing another TRON game, as that is owned by Disney.

The games they could develop continuations for are:

Shogo, Sanity: Aiken's Artifact, Condemned, GRUNTZ, Get Medieval (???), and Contract J.A.C.K. (??????)

So out of those selections, I think I'd choose Shogo. Shogo 2 for the win?
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

cruxdustrial wrote:At least monolith isn't developing F.3.A.R.
The games they could develop continuations for are:

Shogo, Sanity: Aiken's Artifact, Condemned, GRUNTZ, Get Medieval (???), and Contract J.A.C.K. (??????)

So out of those selections, I think I'd choose Shogo. Shogo 2 for the win?
I would have thought that Contract J.A.C.K would be in the same state as the rest of the franchise? Not that I would have any of the details of course...

Shogo 2 for the win! ;)
cruxdustrial
Cultist

Post by cruxdustrial »

Tchernobog wrote:
I would have thought that Contract J.A.C.K would be in the same state as the rest of the franchise? Not that I would have any of the details of course...
That may very well be. The ones I was unsure about I put question marks after, as with Contract J.A.C.K. So the ones followed by question marks I don't know the status of.
joetraff
Rat

Post by joetraff »

Fully agree with you.
Keep on sharing.
zZaRDoZz
Acolyte

Post by zZaRDoZz »

So, it's like, these 2 bots walk into a bare right. And they see Stephen Hawking sitting across on the other side of the bar. So one bot walks up and says...
-ED
Cabal member

Re: Blood source code

Post by -ED »

Well, nobody seems to bother about small but-not-giving-up blood community...
I think the only ways we can see *some* moves in the blood realm are:
1) somebody BIG will occasionally purchase Blood franchise from Warner. You know, the way Randy Pitchfork brought back Duke to him and now we will finally play Duke Forever...
2) Forget all the ethics and do a little riot: take the sources of Blood alpha and try to do a windows/mac os/whatever port we can get. I think the binding to some legal promises is some freaky masochistic fatalistic way of torturing ourselves. Like a dark 16th age christian something: I'll torture myself and feel on the edge of some godly revelation instead of doing something real. That ill feeling that appears at such moments keep you from reaching something you really want yet give you the feeling you're poor and pity and someone need to take care of you. Oh please god turn your face on me!...
That is I DID'T INTEND to hurt christianity in any way, really. I just think we must forget all legal s*** at this point. Blood is like 7 years on abandonware sites (like on all I've seen so far) and nobody bothers a BIT. But here a bunch of blood lovers still obey some rule that actually seems to make sense to nobody except for them only! This is ridiculous! People, nobody except for you cares for these alpha source codes. NOBODY. Not warner, not monolith, not god himself. Take these and try to build upon it. if I had just about any knowledge of programming all of you already would be plaing something like duke3D polymer or at least a nice native port for modern systems with multy-player and hi-res!
I remember this question was discussed here like some YEARS ago and coming back from time to time. But always some ethic respect and fear that Transfusion permissions will be vanished stopped everybody like... "We'll finish Transfusion and..." And what? It's years, YEARS passing by! Some more years like these and will be all grandfathers meeting somewhere in quiet place, drinking warm milk and discussing what where the glory days of Blood. Yeah, discussing not playing. Come on, is this the way to ENJOY your FAVORITE GAME?!
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

The Blood Alpha is not source code ED, it is just an ancient binary. I doubt much can be done with it.

I do understand your frustration ED, but what you are asking does not seem to be being done because of legal reasons as far as I was aware.

And if you are really intersted in a reverse enginered port, why not take a look at the DarkXL project. They claim to already be attempting it.
-ED
Cabal member

Post by -ED »

Yeah, I know. But also I know that back in 200x years we were discussing it a lot with TF team members. I remember that they actually were looking how some of the things where done in alpha sources. Of course these are far from the final game code, but still from what I've heard it was possible to reap a lot of info from the alpha sources...
What I'm talking about is that alpha sources+reverse engineering+new code with testing might turn into modern port of Blood. And the only thing that stands against was mostly legal reasons. And frankly I doubt it is a good reason. That's my opinion. Legal reasons where a good excuse back in the years when TF was pumping on all cylinders, it was covered in press, it had a bigger following etc. Now I do not think it is really an issue with legal stuff... I mean it has some literal meaning, but not practical ones...

And I'm aware of DarkXL guys. I only doubt there'll be any real progress soon. And that is a pity...