Good old Games, gets a little... Bloody!

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Shouldn't one be able to burn the MP3's to a CD (in appropriate order) as CD Audio tracks? That should get it to work nicely.

Blood would play the audio on any CD. I know, because I used to have Rage Against The Machine CD in sometimes when I would play. lol
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

I couldn't get it to work right through DOSBox before. And the midi was also very quiet, so the ogg solution seems great.

Update: I found out a bit more about it. Apparently it's a CUE sheet that you can tell DOSBox to mount as an image

http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Cuesheet
buildgames
Axe Zombie

Post by buildgames »

So the rights were under Atari. Maybe gog can convince them to release the source code.
Willis

Master of the Mask
Lead Programmer

Post by Willis »

buildgames wrote:So the rights were under Atari. Maybe gog can convince them to release the source code.
It has never been in question, it has always been known the distribution and resale rights followed the path of GT Interactive -> Infogrames -> Atari.

Rights to distribute and resell are not the same as full IP control, and that is something in a per-contract decision, each game being different, usually not made overly public. I'm not saying Atari doesn't have the ability/rights to do a source release, I'm saying there is a possibility they don't despite being able to sell the game itself.

Keep in mind, to the best of my knowledge, Eidos still has the rights to sell Blood in Europe (Or was the only one approved in the past, I have no idea what contract limits were), but that certainly doesn't necessarily give them the ability to release the source code either.
buildgames
Axe Zombie

Post by buildgames »

Willis wrote:
buildgames wrote:So the rights were under Atari. Maybe gog can convince them to release the source code.
It has never been in question, it has always been known the distribution and resale rights followed the path of GT Interactive -> Infogrames -> Atari.

Rights to distribute and resell are not the same as full IP control, and that is something in a per-contract decision, each game being different, usually not made overly public. I'm not saying Atari doesn't have the ability/rights to do a source release, I'm saying there is a possibility they don't despite being able to sell the game itself.

Keep in mind, to the best of my knowledge, Eidos still has the rights to sell Blood in Europe (Or was the only one approved in the past, I have no idea what contract limits were), but that certainly doesn't necessarily give them the ability to release the source code either.
Well, either of them Eidos or Atari should know something, I'm betting Atari knows more since they received the rights from Infogrames and GT Interactive.
Willis

Master of the Mask
Lead Programmer

Post by Willis »

buildgames wrote:Well, either of them Eidos or Atari should know something, I'm betting Atari knows more since they received the rights from Infogrames and GT Interactive.
While that is true, it was not as if Infogrames was specifically out to get Blood from GT Interactive, they bought the entire company in a fire-sale. Infogrames/Atari has NEVER even redistributed the original Blood until now on GOG.com, so that should indicate a little about of how much time they've spent investigating it's history. The only game they did redistribute in the Blood series was Blood 2, and that was only in Europe.

Once again, I'm not saying they don't have the rights, or they are unwilling to do anything about the situation, but there have been various attempts in the past to do similar things, and it rarely even ended in the most basic of responses.
McTecman
Rat

Post by McTecman »

I'm not sure what good it will do posting this HERE since why preach to the choir (you guys probably have all of this already), but in an effort to:

1) make a loader that I can link to in Steam and RocketDock
2) add as much content to the loader as possible in terms of maps and mods so I can easily access content
3) (after people on Something Awful expressed interest in it) distribute it in an easy format that essentially upgrades the gog.com (or any OWUB copy, but works best on the gog.com version because of their virtual cd system that houses the cutscenes) copy for people new to Blood into a collection of a helluvalot Blood (pre-configured to modern control schemes, WSAD, e opens, space jumps, mouseclicks are fire and alt-fire)...

I essentially made this: http://blood.nanoaugur.net/

edit: Don't forget to download the 0.9.4 and 0.9.5 patches too!

Image Image
Image Image

Doesn't come with the multiplayer functionality that Skulldog's also excellent launcher (I included it under /Tools, I hope he doesn't mind) has since I'm relying on Yang for that, and the gog.com host/join links for local network games.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

I found these while searching through Google:
http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?story=63437
http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?story=63557

Nice to see Blood getting some media coverage again.