Blood, DosBox, Mac OS X

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

-ED
Cabal member

Blood, DosBox, Mac OS X

Post by -ED »

Just so you know. I've found a pretty neat package on the russian torrent site. It has OUWBlood package wrapped in it's own little dosbox shell, port for mac OS X. In the end one gets a simple app (like any on mac OS X) that launches by double click and runs very good on any more or less modern Mac. No setup hussle, no launching problems. I'm not sure the same package can easily be done on Win, but anyway. I've never succeeded in descent running Blood on DB on Win, let alone it wasn't launching correctly all the time...
Anyway. Probably it can be unpacked etc. for Win. But if anybody has a Mac - it's a very good solution...
Ah, and I know about launching Blood on WinXP with different vesa and audio - it worked very good for me BTW, with full resolutions and sound and everything...
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Maybe with the Shareware.
As cool as it would be, we can't just give away the whole thing.

If it works with the shareware, the folks that have the full version can just copy the full thing over top the shareware directory, keeping the CFG file.

what were the system specs you tried running it under windows?
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Re: Blood, DosBox, Mac OS X

Post by Tchernobog »

-ED wrote: No setup hussle, no launching problems. I'm not sure the same package can easily be done on Win, but anyway. I've never succeeded in descent running Blood on DB on Win, let alone it wasn't launching correctly all the time...
Hmm.. really?

No idea about setting up Dosbox in Windows, but on Linux I have never had any launching problems. The only problem I have ever had is it not allocating itself enough memory, but that has not been a problem since I upgraded my memory to 4 gig and installed Fedora 12.

Still, an interesting idea (kind of reminds me of how Fedora packages ScumVM). although as Dusty said the legality might be in question...

PS: Sorry I have not been checking up on here everyone, I know TF needs all the members it can get...
-ED
Cabal member

Post by -ED »

That one was not legal. However, there's plenty of Blood on abandonware sites. So i doubt there is a big problem. Transfusion is way another thing because technically it is a *new* and *another* project. Like you do not have to pay royalties to, say, Isaak Asimov's older writings, but you cannot claim you've done it yourself. Transfusion technically is other game, not Blood. So there must be a statement it uses content from another game and then there is permission to use GFX for Transfusion team. But if I'd decide to create another game (say iPhone version jRPG style) - I cannot use Blood's content even if it is abandonwared... BTW I do not think somebody would sue me if i really make an iPhone game with the same content. Yeah, i know it's not fare, just houghts...

Linux is waaaaaay closer to mac OS than both to Win. And The package was done already, so there was no setup nothing like that. And no memory troubles (config below)...

My config is the same for win and mac os: 2.66 gHz core2duo, 2 gigs of RAM, geforce 8800. I know dos box should work OK but I never managed to find the right config. The easier way was to launch into Mac OS X or (as I mentioned above) replace windows' svga (or vga?) default driver, install alternative wdm driver and patch blood. Worked without a hitch. So, in some way dosbox sucks for that... On the other side, I do not know if replacing the driver will work in vista or win 7...
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

Abandonware doesn't exist.

Abandonware sites are warez sites that are illegal that tries to pass the 'good preserving faith' as an excuse which is ironic since the games come cracked, obscene high scores, saved games, stuff broken, ripped out, etc.

Blood is not "abandonware"; REAL software that qualifies as 'abandonware' are 1995-2002 freeware games.

Trixter's pretty p*** to see how the term 'abandonware' he invented has come twisted into 'no one carez warez' thanks to Generation Y.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

QFT ^