Bloody Pulp Fiction Addon Released!!

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

wangho
Acolyte

Bloody Pulp Fiction Addon Released!!

Post by wangho »

The addon is released!! http://www.moddb.com/mods/bloody-pulp-fiction

This is a DosBox version only, which means it'll load the addon and DosBox at the same time and will not overwrite any files in your Blood directory. Hopefully soon, there will be a NON DosBox version.

Enjoy, and let us know what you think or if you have any questions...
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Hallelujah!
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

I'm running Vista with dosbox 0.72 already and it works fine, but when I run your exe I can get to the main screen, but when I start a game it crashes immediately. I can play other addons fine.

Is there a way to run it like a normal addon instead of using that exe?

UPDATE: Ok, it actually only crashes on the first episode, the 2nd and 3rd episodes seem to work ok. I would still like to run it like a normal addon if it's possible because the BPF config has different screen resolution and the keyboard config is different than what I am used to.
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

stay tuned. We're put up a non DosBox version very soon
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

http://www.moddb.com/mods/bloody-pulp-fiction

This is a slightly updated version which includes the Non DosBox version so that you can run the .exe native and without automatically loading DosBox. BARF.exe is also included since some have had a problem without it. If you are running win98 or VDMSound, this would be the preferred method. Go get it! The updated 1.1 version is on the page!

A few tips!

- Don't move around in the car rides or you will fall right out. The problem is that the sliding sectors are moving very fast and the player has the tendency to fall off of quick moving sectors. So just keep still!

- There is a nasty bug which can pop up from time to time in BPFE1M4 (Old Desert Town) which will crash the game. None of the playtesters had a problem with the particular map, so it may be my machine.

- Save OFTEN!
zZaRDoZz
Acolyte

Post by zZaRDoZz »

Wangho, is it okay if I put both versions up at filefront?
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

Thanks wangho!

I'll be playing it when I get home from work :D
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

that's fine Zardozz. Just wait for the 1.1 update since it has cleared alot of issues.
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

1.1 update available! http://www.moddb.com/mods/bloody-pulp-fiction

This update adds another .exe for those that do not wish to use DosBox with the addon and another .exe that will install the custom midis that are used in a few particular maps. In addition, some tweaks to a few of the maps were implemented. Barf.exe was also added and IS needed if you don't already have Barf.exe in your Blood directory. Enjoy!
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

I got a chance to play a bit of the 2nd chapter wangho. You and RF have done a great job from what I have seen, the levels are very challenging, even on the easiest settings. I found myself having to watch health and ammo closely. You also managed to get me to flinch more than once which was fun.

I just wanted to point out a couple of bugs I came across. I dont know if everyone is having these problems or if it's just me.

1) I still cant play the first episode, I crash to the desktop whenever I try to start it. The 2nd and 3rd episodes seem to work fine.

2) Seems that alot of item pickups, ammo and keys are invisible to me. I just get lucky and walk over them sometimes. i have gone back to saved games to verify this. It seems to be very random, but certain items are invisible until you pick them up. Maybe has something to do with placement?

3) In the second level of the 2nd episode, once I get into the basement area and the door closes behind me, I cant seem to find a way out. Not sure if this is a bug or not of if there is something I am missing in that room. i tried looking for secret walls or switches but no luck thus far.

Anyway, you guys did a great job! Dont get me wrong, I am not complaining, I just wanted to let you know what things I am finding and if they are a problem. I'm looking forward to playing some more tomorrow.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

If you want to run it under regular DOSBox.
  • launch the game using the RUN.exe.
    Alt-Tab out of that instance of DOSBox.
    Open the directory where you have Blood installed and find the folder "C".
    Copy the "C" folder to another location.
    Copy your Blood.cfg into this new "C" folder.
    Point DOSBox to this new folder as you would regular Blood
    launch using the "Blood -ini BPF.ini" switch
Go paint the town RED
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

I Live...AGAIN wrote:I got a chance to play a bit of the 2nd chapter wangho. You and RF have done a great job from what I have seen, the levels are very challenging, even on the easiest settings. I found myself having to watch health and ammo closely. You also managed to get me to flinch more than once which was fun.

I just wanted to point out a couple of bugs I came across. I dont know if everyone is having these problems or if it's just me.

1) I still cant play the first episode, I crash to the desktop whenever I try to start it. The 2nd and 3rd episodes seem to work fine.
You're the first that has reported a problem here. There will be a different installer posted up later on at moddb that may solve the problems.

2) Seems that alot of item pickups, ammo and keys are invisible to me. I just get lucky and walk over them sometimes. i have gone back to saved games to verify this. It seems to be very random, but certain items are invisible until you pick them up. Maybe has something to do with placement?
Firs time I've heard of this one! Again, check back for the new installer.

3) In the second level of the 2nd episode, once I get into the basement area and the door closes behind me, I cant seem to find a way out. Not sure if this is a bug or not of if there is something I am missing in that room. i tried looking for secret walls or switches but no luck thus far.
You'll have to ask RedFanatic. The last 2 episodes are all RedFanatic. I only made the 1st episode.
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

Is it working correctly for you DustyStix? No problems? Any strange reportings? Are the custome midis working?

Remember everybody, you can just open RESS.BPF with winrar and extract all the files into your blood directory and start it with DosBox if you'd rather. This will of course overwrite original tiles and some sounds. You can install the midis manually by tapping the windows key and 'R' at the same time and running these commands...C:\games\blood1.21\barf sounds.rff -a track6.midi and C:\games\blood1.21\barf sounds.rff -a bpf03.mid. Just substitute your Blood directory in the paths.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

It locked up on me a little ways into the first map and I had to go off and do something else.

I'll try it again a bit later. Looking good so far tho!
mouth
Acolyte

Post by mouth »

Just wanna say, works fine for me, thumbs up. :)

Everything works, custom midis included ;)