Transfusionites of old, please respond...

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

zZaRDoZz
Acolyte

Transfusionites of old, please respond...

Post by zZaRDoZz »

I recently debated Daedolon over at posty about blood's game code being encrypted. Daedolon is more knowledgeable on the technical aspects of build than myself to be sure. I was taken aback however when he explained to me that blood's source code was not encrypted, it was merely stowed away in an exe file when blood wasn't running.

For years I believed that blood's game code was encrypted, especially after a few conversations with Tim Hale in '01.

I see over at the rebuild site that the map format is indeed encrypted, but the page says nothing about the source code.

So is he right? Have I used the term encrypted incorrectly? What gives here?
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

blood's exe file is not enrypted. the source code cannot be obtained back from the compiled exe file. the map format is probably not exacly encrypted, but is just way too different from the "duke3d" standard one.

there's also some confusion about "game script" code and the source code. source is the whole engine, and duke3d and redneck rampage had ".con" files, which were basically scripts and definition for various basic game behaviours and parameters. from what i know, both blood and shadow warrior didn't have these ".con" files, so all that stuff that can be easily modified in duke3d (level names, enemy "ai", ammo box amounts, etc) was actually coded as a part of the whole source code.

reading the mapedit history document (it's available with the alpha version of blood) there are numerous interesting things, but basically it's this - they recieved full build engine source code and added/changed some things to their liking/needs, like the ambient sfx with two ranges of volume, different more complex triggers than in standart build engine, etc...

all the search for the blood source code is pretty pointless, and it has been for a while now, noone will released or bother to look for it anyway, not to mention that first it was owned by gti, then infogrames, atari, i don't remember which company bought out which in what order.

i actually built up a pc specially for playing blood and may other dos games that can't be played in full in dosbox for whatever reason. it's PIII-850, 512mb of ram, riva tnt2 ultra 32mb video card and authentic isa creative soundblaster 16, lol. it looks so powerless compared to modern hardware... i just never bother to plug it in nowadays, but it's sure nice to have it. and it was dirt cheap to build, too!
timhale
Cabal member

Info

Post by timhale »

What did you want to know?
zZaRDoZz
Acolyte

Post by zZaRDoZz »

Greetings Tim,

It is ancient history now. A couple of months ago I stated that the blood source code would never be released because unlike other build games blood's source code was encrypted. I thought you had said so your self many years ago. I have since been proven wrong and I'm sure I'm confusing the encryption issue with something else you said way back when.

My bad.

Oh, great to see you again too. :twisted:
timhale
Cabal member

Heya

Post by timhale »

Who is active nowadays? Is there still a chat up for TF?
zZaRDoZz
Acolyte

Post by zZaRDoZz »

I believe there's a chat room yeah, slink and dusty still post quite often. eric and willis once in a blue moon. Luke says hello from time to time
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Re: Heya

Post by Slink »

timhale wrote:Who is active nowadays? Is there still a chat up for TF?
Tim, holy crap. Long time. Howdy?
timhale
Cabal member

Hello again :)

Post by timhale »

Who runs the project these days?
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Re: Hello again :)

Post by Slink »

timhale wrote:Who runs the project these days?
Well, there's no answer to that one. DustyStix (and afaik,) Kazashi are formally withdrawn, tho both of them and I, as well as Willis all "participate". LordHavoc is still doing his thing, as Nexuiz recently released new version on Darkplaces.
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

Tim! How are you guy?
-ED
Cabal member

Post by -ED »

Hi Guys!
Looong time...
What's going on?
Tim, how are you?!
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

-ED wrote:Hi Guys!
Looong time...
What's going on?
Tim, how are you?!
Holy wow, Hi, Ed. Tim hasn't posted here since April of 2009.

How have you been?
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

Hi ED!
-ED
Cabal member

Post by -ED »

I've not being around about a year or more too.
Thanx I'm fine! Just wanted to know if anything happens here...
Is TF alive?
I play so rarely on computer now... Only Stalker...
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

No one is working on TFn much. Most recent community developments have been with Bloody Pulp Fiction, B2R, Hypertension, and Cradle 2 Grave.

Dimebog said he had an announcement about their C2G project, so you might want to wander over to Postmortem to look into that.