question about Carnage

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

question about Carnage

Post by Guest »

I've been trying to get Carnage to work, and i don't seem to be able to.. i've tried everything i could think of (which wasn't much, as i'm new at this :? ) I used the buildxp guide to make Blood work, and it works perfectly. I have version 1.0 though, and i read that for Carnage to work you need 1.2, so I updated it, and that works fine too. But i can't seem to get Carnage to work, mainly because I really don't understand this stuff very well, but if someone would explain Carnage to me I'd really appreciate it :)
Krypto
Cultist

Post by Krypto »

Before extracting the contents to your Blood folder i recommend making a backup of your Blood Cutscenes (CSKx.smk) files if you don't want to lose them after you uninstall Carnage.

1. After extracting the contents load up command prompt, direct to your Blood folder (C:\Blood) and type carnage.

2. This should patch your Sounds.RFF, turn it into a new one and restore the old one. From now on, Carnage.rff will be used as the primary sounds source. Ignore any error messages during patching as they don't mean anything.

3. If you run Blood via the VDMS method, create a bat file by typing the following into notepad and changing the extenstion to .bat, but replace Blood with Carnage.

@echo off
CLS
C:
CD \
CD Blood
NOLFB
DOSDRV
Carnage
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

I dont think that you should uninstall decent Blood addons. Ever
Krypto
Cultist

Post by Krypto »

But ofcourse :wink: i only suggested it if he wanted to try another addon and files coincided, such as the exquisite RATM
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

I just make multiple copies of the blood folder and name them accordingly... actually, I don't name them acc. but I SHOULD. Heh.

Post by Guest »

it's still not working.. what I did before was this..
I used the guide viewtopic.php?t=1509 there to update my Blood to 1.2 (yet it's saying in the readme and stuff it's version 1.11) But it worked fine.
Then I Put Carnage on there, and as soon as I run the CARNAGE.COM, blood no longer works. But after I did everything that it said in the readfirst, I couldn't figure out how to run Carnage, but I found this and tried it, but still no luck..
DOOMLancelot wrote:I figured out how to get VDMSound to work with this and here are the steps:

1. Do every step of BuildXP for BLOOD at http://buildxp.deathmask.net/ then follow the rest of these steps.

2. Make a copy of the pre-configured VDMSound shortcut for BLOOD and rename the copy you made to Blood Carnage.

3. Right-click on Blood Carnage and click Properties.

4. On the VDMSound tab, click Change... next to the DOS command line.

5. Next to the Program box, click the three dots(...) and BLOOD should be in C:/Games/Blood/(or whatever letter your hard drive is). Go there, click on CARNAGE, and click Open. Backspace EVERYTHING in the Arguments box. Click OK. Click Apply in the Properties window. Close the window.

5. You're ready to play! Just double-click the Blood Carnage shortcut, let it run and have fun! :D
should I have done that? lol like I said I'm new at this, I'm actually just trying to figure this out for my fiance because he wants to play it, and neither one of us really understand this stuff. But every time I click the Carnage shortcut i made with that, it starts opening and closes out real quick.. I could only read the last thing it says, "error in creating .RFF file" and it just closes out.. oh, and thanks for the tip, i made backups
Ransu
Cheetah

Post by Ransu »

Try not using the 3DFX patch and just use that little guide I made. Use a normal patch. It still works fine for me. I'm using One Unit Whole Blood but I've used a plain version of Blood with Carnage before and it worked fine. All you have to do is get your's patched.

Post by Guest »

Does it have to be 1.2? because I've looked and I haven't found a patch for version 1.2 without the 3DFX..
Dimebog
The Enlightened Florist

Post by Dimebog »

Anonymous wrote:Does it have to be 1.2? because I've looked and I haven't found a patch for version 1.2 without the 3DFX..
3DFX is version 1.20 not version 1.02 - I believe that's where you got confused. 3DFX will not change anything that would stop Carnage addon from working. You cannot run Carnage with 3DFX support anyway.

Setting up Carnage in Windows is a complete pain, and since I do not offer technical support for that particular addon, I can only tell you two things - it will work with newer versions so feel free to try and run it on BLOOD v1.11 or v1.21, also use Dosbox if you can - it should save you from allot of trouble.

Post by Guest »

oh ok.. well every time I patch Blood at all, Blood stops working. I think thats where I'm having trouble. And every time I patch it I completely start over with the backup files I made. I just tried patching it with the 1.2 and not doing the 3DFX thing, and Blood stopped working. I also tried it with 1.11 and still Blood stopped working. But, when i did use the 3DFX thing with 1.2, Blood did work. And every time I run the Carnage.com , (without the 3DFX), the only thing that happens is these files (logo.smk TILES002.ART TILES007.ART TILES009.ART TILES011.ART TILES014.ART TILES015.ART) disappear
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

You might try the -quick option when running Blood. That seems to solve a few issues on an XP machine.
Dimebog
The Enlightened Florist

Post by Dimebog »

3DFX patch changes NOTHING.

Also, there is NO version 1.2.
These are all versions in existance (not counting patched retail sharewares):

You just need to know your current version, and an appropriate patch that will get it up to, say, 1.11. It will not stop BLOOD from working. If you are using VDMS, just edit your VDM shortcut to point to carnage.com instead of blood.exe, and erase the flags.

As for why carnage.com deletes your stuff randomly - it's because it is, well, poorly planned so to say. In case of a sudden crash or if your computer gets shut down unexpectedly, TCC will leave some artifacts and not work correctly the next time. The cutscenes that come with it do not work with VDMS, and the ONLY way to run Carnage is to use the .com file. If i remember correctly, there's a batch file that removes the cutscenes. You might try that - just make sure to backup your own stuff first.

So, make a fresh install, follow the Willis method again, install TCC, make a custom VLP shortcut as DOOMLancelot has described, and try it. It should all work. If not, try turning off your music and sounds from the Setup just for the sake of troubleshooting, if it doesn't help, try setting the resolution to 320x200 in the setup (again, for the sake of troubleshooting). If none of that works (but it should), try patching to 1.11. Just make sure you use the right patch (for example, if you have 1.00, do not use the one that patches from 1.02 to 1.11).

If you get sick of it all, click on the link in my signature and obtain the first episode of the finest BLOOD addon in existance - RATM. On the support page you will find all the instructions you may require, and preset VLP shortcuts, Dosbox configuration files, etc. If you desire to play it with 3DFX, get this special 3DFX patch for RATM:

http://ratm.deathmask.net/ratm3dfx.exe

Run the glVoodoo server, and use glRage.bat to play!

Post by Guest »

well I figured out why Blood wouldn't work when I patched it.. I tried a fresh install and before doing the buildxp guide, I patched it, and then proceeded and it worked fine.. so I have version 1.11 now.. But Carnage is still just deleting my files.. and I don't even have the cutscenes for Blood, I can't figure out how to get those to work either actually. But I managed to figure out what else it says when I try and open up the VDMSound shortcut I made, it says I'm missing BARF.EXE and DOS4GW.EXE .. I believe it also said something about those files when I was patching the game, it said they didn't exist.. I didn't think anything of it because it still continued to patch the game and Blood worked fine.. so I'm guessing that must be the problem, any idea why I don't have those? or if there's any way to get them?

Post by Guest »

actually, I do have DOS4GW.EXE, but I don't have BARF.EXE... I don't even know what those are lol, but is that maybe the problem?

Post by Guest »

Nevermind, that was the problem, I found BARF.EXE somewhere and it works perfect. Thanks for all your help!