What if you had made Blood 2?

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

scar3crow
kvlt-anaatmanah

Post by scar3crow »

Q3A as an engine is a decent choice due to its speed and whatnot, though it should be noted that it lacks dynamic lights (what you see following rockets and such is overbrights, notice they don't illuminate the texture on a wall covered in shadow like they would in Quake or Q2). Granted, Blood didn't have dynamic lights aside from that interesting attempt with the flaregun iirc.

Painkiller would be a poor choice and I believe that it was suggested because the game using the engine had some artistic similarities with Blood. But thats the art team, not the engine. PK's movement was a little odd for me, but I was more turned off by just how damn resistant the whole game is to modding. I cannot think of a specific engine I would like to see make a Blood2/3/whatnot.

The best sequels are the ones that don't reinvent but rather further. Look at Doom to Doom2, that was a case of "what happens when he returns to Earth? Oh..." Blood2 took way too large of a jump to the setting it uses. Blood's greatest distinct strength is its mood, and that mood is provided by its setting... Blood2 by design prevented that, and had to rely on everything else it had.

So in short, I would just try to find a suitable fast 3d engine (recommend Source and I will cut you down), and further the timeline very little to keep it in that wonderful setting. I posted my idea for a continuation of the plot in another Blood2 thread like this, but that turned into adventures with photoshop, so I don't think I will bother here.
Vuzeth
Deceptossum

Post by Vuzeth »

Why not Source it is the best choice probably. It's excellent when it comes to modding and lets you create what you want with custom menus and interface. The effects are not obsolete for todays games. I think that Blood 2 addition should be based on Source instead of that old lithtech. Through models can be much harder to work on not sure about that. Also not all PCs are able to render it smoothly enough but that should be solved soon with Vista and all that s****.
Last edited by Vuzeth on Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scar3crow
kvlt-anaatmanah

Post by scar3crow »

I am not getting into this one again, Source is a gussied up Quake engine with middleware licenses, Garry's Mod would've been great as a standalone game that interfaced with anything using Havok physics rather than just HL2 and as I said before, its the Quake engine. I'm getting a headache just thinking about the Gabe clones, enough to where I probably will not comment again in this thread.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Heh. If you could see the code... I wish I could. Anyway, Gmod has become something else, what with all addons and such. Gmod just exploits the middleware. :)

But this is :offtopic:
eVolution
Axe Zombie

Post by eVolution »

OK, I'm going to make a suggestion but don't flame me for it as I haven't played a lot of newer games that have been released within the past year or two. I'm also going to give some opinions on what I liked and didn't like, and what I'd like to see in any possible future releases.

I think a remake of Blood/Blood 2 would look great on the DOOM 3 or Quake 4 engine. The only FPS I played back when games were "cool" and "scary" were DOOM, Quake, Wolfenstein and Duke Nukem. I never could find Shadow Warrior but I hear it's great.

I've played all of DOOMs sequels, from DOOM to Final DOOM and as many other addons that offered new maps. DOOM64 was great but I found it to be rather "quiet" in terms of sound quality. I've only played DOOM 3 once on a relatives computer, and let me tell you, I've never felt "different" after playing a game like that. I really felt like all those demonic forces were actually "inside" of me after I was finished. You should get a feeling like that after every real life FPS you play.

I haven't played Quake 4 but played all sequels up to it. Return to Castle Wolfenstein is great IMO but the characters could have been developed a little more. However, I understand this was released before any new version of DOOM or Quake was announced.

I'd love to see Blood on a new engine, along with new horror music, new characters, weapons, etc. My favorite character from the original Blood was the Cultists. I love how they run around talking trash in their code language with their robes on. I would love to see them in a more darker form. The axe zombies were a bit too fast, they should have been a little slower in their movement. I hate the spiders, I could live without them in the game. The fire breathing dog was good but way too fast, and he spit out way too much fire at once. The dead hands, I hate those as well as the rats. The Phantasm was way too annoying in that it was constantly "screaming." The gargoyles were annoying as hell because they were always up in the air, and, it too was constantly making sounds.

I think Blood should have had more death defying traps, you have to have traps! That's pretty much all I can think of for now. I'll post some more later if this thread doesn't die. :)
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

I personally think that Blood 2 was a great game, but here would be a few suggestions:

1. Show more of the Cabal behind CabalCo.
2. Maybe a few more Temple, Mansion, (Blood 1 styled) levels.
3. What the hell happened to the Beasts? (Cerberus, Cheogh, and Co)
4. More explanation on the Ancient One and the Chosens resurrection.
5. I want real TNT damn it! Tommy Guns to!
6. The sub-way got a little old after a while.

To take this to Blood (Please do not flame me to death because you disagree):

1. Better music, not the dreay tracks it has (Though some were good). Maybe some more action tracks.
2. Less labyrinthine level (Levels more like The way of all Flesh and Cryptic Passage). I was morre dissapointed with the latter episods of Blood than Blood II: The Chosen.
3. More Caleb! He did not talk much :(
4. Maybe lighten up a little.

Things Blood II did well (For fair measure):
1. The levels always seemd same qaulity without in the later levels.
2. Great Music that was well picked for the various levels.
3. I love Lithtech (So many nice config files :D)
4. The enemies were pretty good, (but again more traditional enemies should have been alongside).
5. Sawed off is much better in Blood II!
6. The Chosen had a lot more plot. Who does not like Ishmael?
7. The rich varity of voices.

Things great in Blood:
1. The robed cultists (Enough said)
2. The Carnival and Train baby!
3. Cerberus looked rather cool.
4. Great TNT (Besides the proximity detonator)
5. The cut-scense were rather cool.

To list some of there problems and virtues. Lots of virtues defiantly, more than able to list 8)
zZaRDoZz
Acolyte

Post by zZaRDoZz »

Are you the same "Tchernobog" from the blood forums circa 1999?

If so your personality is totally different.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

No, I am Tchernobog of the Blood Wiki. Sorry to take that guys name, but I did not know.

I have been playing some of the secound episode and its is better than I remembered. Add this to the compliments list for Blood. :wink:
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

scar3crow wrote:Q3A as an engine is a decent choice
http://ioquake3.org/ 8)
Caleb --2nd
Zealot

Post by Caleb --2nd »

if i was one of the creators
i will make better pixels and more big enviroments,afcourse i will do more melee weapons and much more blood and cruel bosses
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

LoL what do you mean by "better pixels"? :)
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Caleb --2nd wrote:much more blood
True, Shogo seemed more gory than Blood 2 (the way it spurts out of you... :headshot: ). They could have done a better effort with that (And allow the heads to be kicked better).
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

the heads are about the size of grapefruits
zZaRDoZz
Acolyte

Post by zZaRDoZz »

i would make better pixels...
B2 blood fx use genuine 3d particles, which was unfortunate as 2d particles would have meant a lot more particles :(

the heads are about the size of grapefruits

Yes, very small grape fruits.
Caleb --2nd
Zealot

Post by Caleb --2nd »

well... that's a shame
if i was now the leader of litech monolith,i whould do blood 3: the end
or something in type
and make it to the latest f.e.a.r 3d engine
i know its sounds like s***
but this game was part of my life when i was little kid.
blood 2 mostly.