I need some help defeating the gargoyle boss

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Wow, that is terrible. As soon as player z position < stonegarg z position, gargoyle tries to fly down. Stupid.

Post by Guest »

seriously? First episode, final boss (and all the other silver gargoyles), I press z, get into the crouch position, I am never touched. This was the case for every blood version I've ever played.

Really?? the same doesn't happen for everyone?
scar3crow
kvlt-anaatmanah

Post by scar3crow »

I have been aware of such, but I never use it because it just feels... like I am not fighting, it feels cheap and I don't enjoy it.

The flying code would be the first thing I'd like to see fixed beyond a win32 port if the Blood source was released.

Cerberus is fairly potent as a boss, mostly because of the map design, the only area with cover in the arena has the wall close enough behind it, you will catch splash damage, and probably get set on fire as well. So your choices are risk splash, or be out in the open.

The Hall of Epiphany has just enough curve to it to give you good cover without much risk.

Shial is weak simply because, she is in a blind spot for herself... Since its the end of the episode, you can toss all of your remote dynamite at an angle to bounce around under her, then detonate at once for an early powerful punch, and switch to tesla alt fire or napalm cannon and down she goes. Shial really should have been a more stealthy creature that would pounce quickly for high damage with vision blurring, then evades, and rather than having her summon hordes, just have the level have some nice spider hordes.

To me, Cheogh is the best boss despite the easy exploits, simply because you have an emotional identity with him. He hates you, he took your love, you have every reason to just outright kill him - Tchernobog has that potential, but I was always a bit let down by the visual of his attacks and how he looked.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

It is cheap. It's not fun. If effective, it would take an hour (if you're skilled) with just a pitchfork, after you run out of ammo.
Vuzeth
Deceptossum

Post by Vuzeth »

I think gargoyle easy crouching&stabbing is not a bug it was designed as a trick along with cerberus. The bulk of players won't notice that easily when they bought the game played it a bit and threw it away in 1997. For dedicated players it feels kinda lame but I'd include it in Win32 Blood port anyway to make the replication more precise. You may ignore this trick and fight "fair" if you want. :)
scar3crow
kvlt-anaatmanah

Post by scar3crow »

Ghoste - I disagree, tricks are usually designed as a shortcut, not to make the boss appear incapable, but rather having a physical vulnerability, as in something that does more damage. Crouching just makes it basically impossible for Cheogh to damage you, and it takes much longer to kill him than some strafing and real weapons. Along with that, the behavior that allows for the crouching exploit seems to stem from the same behavior that gets gargoyles and phantasms endlessly spinning in areas and screaming, to great annoyance - and in the case of the gargoyle at the beginning of e2m1, he often spins downward into the water, killing himself instantly. This behavior makes the game easier in a way that breaks the atmosphere, and makes the phantasm more annoying than threatening (I often wish he would just attack me so I could kill him, rather than hear him scream over and over and over...).

If I ever had an input on a source port, I would request the flight code be fixed (yes I said fixed) and just put an option in there to use the old flight method which is largely ineffective.
bhlaab
Axe Zombie

Post by bhlaab »

The gargoyle is probably the toughest boss in the game, to be honest
Vuzeth
Deceptossum

Post by Vuzeth »

scar3crow wrote:Ghoste - I disagree, tricks are usually designed as a shortcut, not to make the boss appear incapable, but rather having a physical vulnerability, as in something that does more damage. Crouching just makes it basically impossible for Cheogh to damage you, and it takes much longer to kill him than some strafing and real weapons. Along with that, the behavior that allows for the crouching exploit seems to stem from the same behavior that gets gargoyles and phantasms endlessly spinning in areas and screaming, to great annoyance - and in the case of the gargoyle at the beginning of e2m1, he often spins downward into the water, killing himself instantly. This behavior makes the game easier in a way that breaks the atmosphere, and makes the phantasm more annoying than threatening (I often wish he would just attack me so I could kill him, rather than hear him scream over and over and over...).

If I ever had an input on a source port, I would request the flight code be fixed (yes I said fixed) and just put an option in there to use the old flight method which is largely ineffective.

Phantasms circling around is a part of atmosphere. It was much easier to make them attack directly. They are meant to be threatening and annoying. The same for drowning gargoyles or other enemies they make the blood universe more unique. Stone gargoyle trick is really silly but probably the only way to defeat Cheogh in E1 on Extra Crispy otherwise it'll be hellish hard without tesla. I agree there must be options in win32 port to chose if u want to keep stuff like that or have it fixed. ;)
scar3crow
kvlt-anaatmanah

Post by scar3crow »

Phantasms circling is cool, screaming CONSTANTLY to the point of just being this damn loud sound? Not cool. And if the area is cramped, its almost impossible to make them attack directly, try the one behind the walls on the Overlooked Hotel, he will spin above you happily forever, screaming along. This makes them non-threatening creatures.

I am fine with gargoyles dying on entering water, but the fact of it is, it doesn't happen because they dove at you too low, or you shot it and it fell for a moment, or any other reason. It happens because it gets into the same endless spin, slowly drifting downwards. It takes me out of the game because it is a moment of "their algorithm is off."

Cheogh may in fact be too strong on Extra Crispy, but I think that is a case of poor testing on Monolith's part - I think the amount of damage everything takes on Extra Crispy is silly, and bordering on not fun.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

"Extra crispy was really intended for cooperative multiplayer mode." -Monolith
scar3crow
kvlt-anaatmanah

Post by scar3crow »

Ah okay, that makes sense.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

I still play on extra crispy. :)

Sometimes you can pit the enemies against each other by letting one hit another, thus pi$sing him off. :)
eVolution
Axe Zombie

Post by eVolution »

johnchain wrote:um, if you just crouch against the stone gargoyle final boss dude...he'll never hit you.

has nobody else tried this? it works 100% kind of a weird glitch cus the normal gargoyles can hit u even when crouched
Yes, Gila mentioned it above.
gila wrote:he is very difficult to kill in the shareware episode because his only real weakness seems to be tesla cannon; you'll be meeting alot more of these fellas in later levels in other episodes but since they have tesla ammo/cannons in them, they would die quickly.

if it's too hard to nail the boss, there is a bug in his AI - just duck and he'll just circle-fly around you; that's the way i killed it the first time i played on extra crispy difficulty, just pitchforked him to death when i ran out of ammo.
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

You know, I didn't see that bit about Extra Crispy being intended for co-op. As a result, I also find it hilarious that you had people playing through the entire game without dying once on Extra Crispy a while back...
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

i think it was daedalus deathmask who set himself such challenge... i don't know whether he did it or not. and yes, the 4th and 5th are difficulties for cooperative mode... i guess it was made to make game more exciting for 5-8 players.