Missing in Action: Sequels We'd Love to See

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

TheChosenOne
Axe Zombie

Missing in Action: Sequels We'd Love to See

Post by TheChosenOne »

Check this out and please all of you vote on this :guns:

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/755/755782p4.html
Gila
Ye Olde Bloodite

Post by Gila »

the funny thing is that "i wanna blood sequel" page has the early work in progress game screenshot! also, f*** fear engine. i vote for painkiller one.
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

John Romero made Anachronox?

Wow, what are they smoking!
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

That's just the first screen Monolith has on it's "games page" listing for Blood. Why work to hard on a article? :wink: At least they are promoting the idea of a Blood3. It's good to see the game sites are floating the idea... interestingly there are what, three monolith games they want to see sequels for? Four if you count AvP.

Anyway, with Monolith's return to the morbid and with Jason Hall making noise two years back about doing another Blood, it makes me hopeful.
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

Gila wrote:the funny thing is that "i wanna blood sequel" page has the early work in progress game screenshot! also, f*** fear engine. i vote for painkiller one.
The PainEngine is a great piece of Tech, but I would go for the Jupitor EX engine as well. And since it's Monolith's own engine I think they could do wonders with it.
-ED
Cabal member

Post by -ED »

They didn't say Romero DID anachronox. They said he "managed to crank out". that is pretty correct since he started ION Storm, invited Tom hall and promoted the game etc. More to say if you search for some history and dig into Daikatana's and Anachronox's credits - you'll find that both teams heavily helped each other to finish one and then other game. even Romero himself did some real ork, not just managing!

As to Lith's games it has ...wait, NolF, Blood, Shogo - i'd love all these to be continued...
Duke, Shadow Warrior, Anachronox, Unreal 3, Planescape, Fallout - argh. Is it a tendency? So much crap on the market and none of these games. Looks like we're in hell. Forget the Painkiller, i mean real one: new technology and load of digital sleeping pills...
scar3crow
kvlt-anaatmanah

Post by scar3crow »

Ewww FEAR engine... Im yet to see it do anything actually impressive other than particles and implement the latest hippest shaders for cellphone now (just text 2246 to 8675309!) - seriously, it felt trite to me.

Who knows, maybe it is great, but FEAR to me wasnt a good advertisement of it, all it showed was "look, weve got a rectangle primitive!" and then they hit you with particles and shaders.

Next generation isnt in shiny flashy stuff, its in development techniques, whether youre impressed by Crytek's modded Age of Mythology level editor - though it isnt bad, just... not new... or UnrealEngine3's Kismet visual scripting language... To me the next gen comes from good tools that allow you to create organic environments quickly and detail them thoroughly in a flexible manner. FEAR, what I played of it, felt like the maps were made with Slige in how generic they were, and yes I know the setting, but the maps were still just incredibly drab affairs.

Just skimmed that whole article... ...Half Life 3 got in there and an actual sequel for Quake didnt? Oi vey... They spoke of the mess of Unreal2, granted that was a very flawed game, but where it wasnt flawed, it was wonderfully done. Its the only fps where I honestly cared about the storyline - and felt myself playing in multiple styles, without feeling forced to do so.
RedFanatic
A More Tidy Caleb

Post by RedFanatic »

Well i have to admit the mappers for Fear should be shot for crimes against
mapping but the engine wasen't too bad i thought, a bit plain and closing on HL/CS style
but the Character animation was Amazing, i've see a trooper get hit with the shotgun
and do a complete summersult while firing quite frankly it was DAMN cool

also there was a moment when i suprised a guy and shot him at the same time
and he actually half turned started firing then tripped fell on his ass with his legs
in the air struuggled back to his feet and ran like hell firing over his shoulder.

And that exactly the type of enemy flexebility Blood baddies should have,
havin said all that though i do like the grittyness and weight of the Painkiller engine (it's called havok or something isn't it?) but either of those
options would really rock if it was done with good attention to detail.
scar3crow
kvlt-anaatmanah

Post by scar3crow »

Havok is the name of the physics engine licensed for Painkiller, which was also licensed for Oblivion, a ton of other games, and Half Life2 which seems content in letting everyone think that they did the physics - which is s*** if you ask me, kudos to Bethesda for making a point of crediting Havok for their contribution, even as middleware.

The model stuff sounds cool - but hardly unique in more modern engines.

Im much more interested in how quickly you can create for an engine, and create in a varied (oh snap, I just dismissed CryTek!) manner. This is why I love the Build engine, the Quake engine and ZDoom. Episodic content came at the right time, 93-97 was the heyday for it. Or is it hayday? I dont know. It was a totally sweet time for it. There.
Ra_Ra_Gazaa
Resident Phantasm

Post by Ra_Ra_Gazaa »

Funny thing is, if we had Blood 3, there would be 4 possible outcomes:

1) An increase in "It sucks more than Blood 2" and "Will there be a Blood 4" threads.

2) An increase in "It sucks in comparison to the original but not as bad as Blood 2 did" and "Will there be a Blood 4" threads.

3) An appearence of "This is the best Blood ever" and "This is NOT the best Blood ever" and "Will there be a Blood 4" threads.

4) The internet turns purple.

I'm looking forward to Blood 3.

:phantasm:
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Hmm, Blood III sounds cool, but I think I can settle for an excellent rendition of the original via the work of the Transfusion Project. ;)
-Slink
Dimebog
The Enlightened Florist

Post by Dimebog »

Slink wrote:Hmm, Blood III sounds cool, but I think I can settle for an excellent rendition of the original via the work of the Transfusion Project. ;)
-Slink
How about a GL sourceport? Image
Ra_Ra_Gazaa
Resident Phantasm

Post by Ra_Ra_Gazaa »

Dimebog wrote:
Slink wrote:Hmm, Blood III sounds cool, but I think I can settle for an excellent rendition of the original via the work of the Transfusion Project. ;)
-Slink
OFFTOPICNONSENSEBUTSTILL: Dimebog, your avatar is exceedingly... grim. Love it.

:phantasm:
Dimebog
The Enlightened Florist

Post by Dimebog »

Thank you my man.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Dimebog wrote:
Slink wrote:Hmm, Blood III sounds cool, but I think I can settle for an excellent rendition of the original via the work of the Transfusion Project.
That would be super. Now, if you could just find a copy of the source code... :-x -$|_yNxx0rz