Update to Carnage 1.11. Download now

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Blood of Nightmares
Zealot

Post by Blood of Nightmares »

wangho wrote:what makes you think all that if you havent played Bloodlines either?
Because I haven't

anyway I heared that you don't actually play as Caleb in Bloodlines anyway (That's why I'm asking for another asylum level where it does follow the Blood storyline and your actually playing as Caleb...and I have to admit that walking through a Insane Asylum is much scarier than walking through a Prision you know)

Final Note: The "Guest" above was actually me because I forgot to log in at the time....
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

Blood of Nightmares wrote:
wangho wrote:what makes you think all that if you havent played Bloodlines either?
Because I haven't

anyway I heared that you don't actually play as Caleb in Bloodlines anyway (That's why I'm asking for another asylum level where it does follow the Blood storyline and your actually playing as Caleb...and I have to admit that walking through a Insane Asylum is much scarier than walking through a Prision you know)

Final Note: The "Guest" above was actually me because I forgot to log in at the time....
download and find out all about it here...http://www.planetblood.com/bloodlines/

it's only like maybe the most creative addon for any game ever. Episode 2 (Felix Drott's stuff) is out of this world
Blood of Nightmares
Zealot

I can't download the damn thing anyway because of this
There has been an error with your request. This may be due to your browser settings. Please check your security settings and try the link again. Or, go to Tools, Internet Options in your browser and choose Delete Files button. Close all browser windows and try the link again. Should you reach this error again, please contact Customer Support.
I use Mozilla by the way

is there any place else where I can download Bloodlnes?

(I would still like to have an Insane Asylum as a Carnage level)
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

Blood of Nightmares wrote:I can't download the damn thing anyway because of this
There has been an error with your request. This may be due to your browser settings. Please check your security settings and try the link again. Or, go to Tools, Internet Options in your browser and choose Delete Files button. Close all browser windows and try the link again. Should you reach this error again, please contact Customer Support.
I use Mozilla by the way

is there any place else where I can download Bloodlnes?

(I would still like to have an Insane Asylum as a Carnage level)
that sucks, I cant get it working either as Im also using Mozilla. Give me your e-mail and Ill send it to you
Blood of Nightmares
Zealot

Check your privite message bin
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

Harry, I've played around on the first map of original Carnage, and I have a few problems getting through it. First, it's a VERY confusing map. A little too big to be clear enough that I was able to figure out ANYTHING before just noclipping through it. In particular the puzzle with the TNT crate and carts, the entire area around there had me confused. I know you said not to ignore ladders, but urgh. It took me a good long time to figure out blowing up the rock (it occured to me only when I saw the wheels on the cart turning), and longer to figure out what I had to do after turning the valve. I'm hoping this doesn't continue with the rest of Carnage, but I'll get through it and figure it out.

Also, as others have already stated, there's a little too little ammo. I'd also like to throw in, hands directly around corners with little to no warning is a HORRIBLE thing. I got choked a TON before I finally got fed up and said "that's it I am going to blow that f*** up before he has a chance." Then I ran into another one. Imagine how p*** I was. I also have a small problem with the way the atomosphere was attempted in places, in particular the room with the eyes. While I can see that they are a homemade sprite, a little more work put into the eyes would help the room a lot, as would, in my opinion, less of them, but that's just me. The sounds are very good, though, and I am curious where the plot is going.

It's a very well designed map, and clearly took you a LOT of time, but there are problems with the way it has to be played. Also, the Gill Beasts at the beginning weakening you so much is aggravating, as the rest of the map is just too hard with less life. A hellhound with, what, 16 shotgun shells? Eep.

Don't get me wrong, I'm having fun. :P
Harry
Cultist

Post by Harry »

Thanks for the feedback. Did I forget to mention that the Rain map in the update has tons of more ammo? :oops:

Also, by shifting it more behind, you can get more accustomed to the setting and difficulty. Did you play the update, Necrosis?
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

Necrosis wrote:Harry, I've played around on the first map of original Carnage, and I have a few problems getting through it. First, it's a VERY confusing map. A little too big to be clear enough that I was able to figure out ANYTHING before just noclipping through it. In particular the puzzle with the TNT crate and carts, the entire area around there had me confused. I know you said not to ignore ladders, but urgh. It took me a good long time to figure out blowing up the rock (it occured to me only when I saw the wheels on the cart turning), and longer to figure out what I had to do after turning the valve. I'm hoping this doesn't continue with the rest of Carnage, but I'll get through it and figure it out.

Also, as others have already stated, there's a little too little ammo. I'd also like to throw in, hands directly around corners with little to no warning is a HORRIBLE thing. I got choked a TON before I finally got fed up and said "that's it I am going to blow that f*** up before he has a chance." Then I ran into another one. Imagine how p*** I was. I also have a small problem with the way the atomosphere was attempted in places, in particular the room with the eyes. While I can see that they are a homemade sprite, a little more work put into the eyes would help the room a lot, as would, in my opinion, less of them, but that's just me. The sounds are very good, though, and I am curious where the plot is going.

It's a very well designed map, and clearly took you a LOT of time, but there are problems with the way it has to be played. Also, the Gill Beasts at the beginning weakening you so much is aggravating, as the rest of the map is just too hard with less life. A hellhound with, what, 16 shotgun shells? Eep.

Don't get me wrong, I'm having fun. :P
yeah man, if youre only on the first map, get the update by all means, Harry made a great new map for the very beginning of the addon
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

So wait, Nothing Like the Rain is still there but there's something before it in the update, plus Nothing Like the Rain has more ammo? Hm. I should probably just put that in there now. I have both, but wanted to play the first version first so I get kind of a full awareness of what you did with it and could give feedback on the whole thing, not just the update. Maybe I should actually finish Nothing Like the Rain first, though. 0_o
nrvous
Rat

Post by nrvous »

I'm using "One Unit Whole Blood", still having problem with cutscenes(worked only the first time), then I just played smk files with Rad Video Tools, got the passwords and the Carnage continued :)
Harry
Cultist

Post by Harry »

Necro, the level which was replaced was the 'Town' level, which is found only in the first beta.
oBe
Cabal member

Post by oBe »

Alright, guess it's about time for oBe's review.

Ze pro's and ze con's:
'bout the new startlevel:
+ I love jails ;)
+ this one is another one with absolutely fantastic atmosphere. I got killed by the car fifteen times in a row, before I knew what to do, but as soon as I saw the exterior I knew it was great. The streets, the broken lamp posts, the moths, the unreachable places, it all breathed mood.
+ some real nice details here and there, like the moth's shadow by the lamp posts.
- the push switch -> fight enemies got old very quick, also the enemy placement didn't make sense all the time. I can't grasp my mind around gargoyles in indoor enviroments, but I take these things maybe a tad too serious.
- you do fantastic things with colour and fog that add's a new feel to the game. However, as a purist, it doesn't always feels like Blood. There's not so much a fun-element in there, no easter eggs, no movie-enviroments, etc. But seeing I'm also a qualityaddict, I forgive you. ;)
=All in all, a fantastic new Blood level that takes the game the a new level (no pun intended)

*spoiler about the end level*

'bout the squid:
+ I love squids as well
+ moving tentacles!!
+ new, enviroment based boss
- kinda boring symmetric enviroment
- I'm not the best player around, but beating this oversized seacreature was impossible for me

Overall:
+good call on making the new level the first level, it gives a new feel to the whole
- however, one quickly realizes Carnage is still more or less the same.

=Which brings me back to the reason I didn't fancy it that much before, being the shiftings in quality. I haven't taken a really in depth look yet, for this exact reason. My fear one new level wouldn't equal a new game kinda came true.

Another thing I noticed, is the lack of level-continuancy, very few levels lead into each other, which makes me reach my final conclusion, that I'd think you'd be better off making stand alone levels, that or you need to think out a simple game plan in advance. Don't get me wrong though, I'm very pleased with the update.
Harry
Cultist

Post by Harry »

Thanks for the review, Obe.

I wish you had mentioned stuff like Easter eggs before and I would have included some.

Regarding some environments alien to Blood - that was the intention. For more traditional levels, there are plenty of other map paks to look at. But I did try to put some traditional environs in there as well.
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

Harry, which level is the Town level? I'll just skip to that and get ammo, then play the new version, but I need to know level number.

... And/or what the cheat for level skipping is while you're at it, please kthx. >>

(I didn't even know Eva Galli was the noclip until like yesterday, the only one I knew was "lara croft" and "i wanna be like kevin")
Harry
Cultist

Post by Harry »

Its the 4th level of the first ep. Mario 1 4 or Mario and manually type in 1 and 4 in the boxes. But be warned for there was a reason it was replaced.