Mapedit question

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Tekedon

Mapedit question

Post by Tekedon »

Hi, I want to create a moving car using a path sector, I want this car to drive along a road and make certain turns. I've got a problem with the turning though. The car turns left fine, but when turning right it kind of starts to spin around instead of just turning a little bit. How do I fix this?

I have a couple of more questions...

How do I get the player to stay with the car, and not just slide off it?

Last question... (I have been wonderning this for a while.) How did they make that grave open by itself in e1m1? They must have some kind of trigger, but I havent been able to find it.

Post by Guest »

Oh.. and how do I get the car to stop when it reaches the end of the road?
RedFanatic
A More Tidy Caleb

Post by RedFanatic »

Well the player staying on is all down to the 'drag' option in the alt-f5 menu, have a good examine of the boat in e2m1 from original Blood.

or this map i'm currently working on that also has a truck Click Here

as for corners i diden't even know that was possible so i can't help sorry

To get it to stop i set it's Z-motion on-->off to slow on slow off (for a nice gradual stop) it's state on cmd off and then just busy time set with nothing ticked and i have it activated by a toggle switch with rx 7 (a special number that actives at start of map) TX the same as the sliding sectors and going on going off ticked.

that special 7 number is how they got the grave going i'll bet as well
Tekedon

Post by Tekedon »

Thanks for the help, that was really helpful :D I played around a bit with the pathsector stuff, couldn´t get it to turn correct or stop at the end of the track.. well, I guess Ï´ll have to do that car some other way. I did get the player to stay on the car though 8)

Post by Guest »

Tekedon wrote:Thanks for the help, that was really helpful :D I played around a bit with the pathsector stuff, couldn´t get it to turn correct or stop at the end of the track.. well, I guess Ï´ll have to do that car some other way. I did get the player to stay on the car though 8)
Tekedon, I was dealing with this exact same issue the other day. As for the 'corner' dealy, I think it has something to do with the direction of the sector sprites. Just change the direction in either 2d or 3d mode with < + >. As far as it stopping, what I did was made the last sprite with data values of 9 and back to 0 with a rediculously high waittime so the car would stay for the duration of the map.
Tekedon

Post by Tekedon »

I've tried changing the direction of the path sprites, the car does left turns fine.. but immediatly at the first right turn the car starts spinning like crazy. It does a full 360 leftturn until it faces right, instead of just turning slightly to the right.

Yeah I finally got the stopping working yesterday by doing what you did with the waittime, but the waittime only goes to.. 4000? or something like that. I wonder how long that is in minutes.

I also found out you can assign sounds to the car that are activated when hitting a certain path sprite. That's really useful if you for example would like the car to brake and have a "screeching" noise.

Hmm, by the way.. does anyone know how the "slide marked" thing works? (I think it was called that) Would I be able to make a moving car able to turn using that?
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

I believe you can only make it rotate towards the end a bit using slide-marked, but it will not go forward and then make a right hand turn and keep going. Use sector-path for that

Post by Guest »

Ok, thanks
Harry
Cultist

Post by Harry »

I have a question too - Ctrl+F does'nt work for keeping white fog as far as the game itself is concerned. Anyone know a workaround to this, without actually making changes in the palette?
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

Harry wrote:I have a question too - Ctrl+F does'nt work for keeping white fog as far as the game itself is concerned. Anyone know a workaround to this, without actually making changes in the palette?

That fog effect I never could work right so I ended up using smoke sprites for Nuthouse. Ive seen it used in specific sectors as well without affecting the whole map. :shrug:
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

For white fog, you must decrease the visability (CTRL-ALT-[+]/[-] I think?) And use palette effect#1 (alt-p on a visible floor/wall/object etc in 3D mode, enter 1) Hope that helps. Someone please pipe up about using the visibility effect in Mapedit. (How do you control total map visibility VS. single sector visibility/fog?) Thanks!
-Slink
wangho
Acolyte

Post by wangho »

couple of questions..

How do you make your sector path red-crosshairs invisible? I tried pressing 'i' and nothing happened. I have them above the surface.

and..

Im trying to lower a sprite so that it disappears into the ground and instead of disappearing a part of the sprite, the sprite stays fully visible and gives that weird effect when the sector is above the level of the sprite. I didn't have this problem on my other maps and now it's happening?
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Sprites will almost always be visible when pushed above ceilings or below floors, unless another sprite or wall blocks your line of sight to the sprite. This can make for some really cool effects! The 'i' key should do it. IIRC, path sectors were never fully implemented, and either do not work, or are very buggy.
RedFanatic
A More Tidy Caleb

Post by RedFanatic »

I have a problem i want a secret where you have to shoot 3 targets and
only after all 3 have been shot dose a door open, how do i manage that?
hopefully not using conbination buttons as i really can't get my head round
those
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

you have to make objects like this

where A, B, C, X, Y, Z, and BOOM are just different TX values(numbers)

target1 (sends X ON)
target2 (sends Y ON)
target3 (sends Z ON)

relay1 (receives X, sends A to unlock relay7) 1-shot
relay2 (receives Y, sends B to unlock relay8) 1-shot
relay3 (receives Z, sends C to unlock relay9) 1-shot

relay4 (receives A, sends A to turn ON relay7)
relay5 (reveives B, sends A to turn ON relay7)
relay6 (reveives C, sends A to turn ON relay7)

relay7 (receives A, sends B to turn ON relay8)
relay8 (receives B, sends C to turn ON relay9)
relay9 (receives C, sends BOOM to turn ON final_target)

final_target(receives BOOM and does sh!t.)

There has to be a simpler way, but this will do it. Simple logic. Put enough of it together and it isn't simple anymore. ;)

Obviously, most of these should be sprites, unless you want visual effects with each lock being undone. Then you could do like sectors or something. :) The sectors would have to be relay7-9, although you could do other sh!the.

-Slink