Improved Blood on XP (discussion)

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

I'm wondering if there's a command line option that you can add to DOSDRV to enable the networking without using a VLP

When you run DOSDRV /? it returns:
Usage: DOSDRV [-i:iniFile1 [-i:iniFile2 [...]]]

I tried making a ini using the VLP entry:
[winnt.storage]
useNetware=yes

But that gave an error saying "The following section(s) could not be associated with any module"
Jethro
Fanatic

Post by Jethro »

Cruaich wrote:I tried making a ini using the VLP entry:
[winnt.storage]
useNetware=yes

But that gave an error saying "The following section(s) could not be associated with any module"
As I said, there is no section in VDMS.ini that would correspond to networking, so it must be achived by external (non-VDMSound) program. A way to look at this is

a) install VDMSLaunchpad
b) run a game with it with networking enabled
c) use utility like ProcessExplorer from Sysinternals to locate current dosdrv setup (VDMLauncher creates temporary ini, autoexec and config in users tmp directory).
d) open those files with text editor and try to locate the lines that may correspond to newtorking.

But, once again, I unfortunatly don't have time to do it myself :/
RedFanatic
A More Tidy Caleb

Post by RedFanatic »

I got it working over a LAN once just by using commit 1.4 rather than 1.3
in a cmd prompt, but then second computer i was connecting to was re-installed and it ceased to work but i thing that was just down to IPX not being active in the network settings
The_Watcher

Post by The_Watcher »

Don't mean to change the subject (and bump this old thread) but...

I'm having a bit of trouble running Blood. I did everything from Krypto's guide as far as I know, and got to the point where I could run the game. But the only thing that comes up is the "Cradle to Grave" demo-intro screen, and then I get a screwy looking screen (with what appears to be DOS prompt behind it, since typing things/hitting enter makes these white streaks on the screen).

Also, when I was in the installation process, right before I had to reboot, something came up about certain files needed to run Windows properly got replaced by unrecognized files, and asked me to insert the Win2000 Installation CD (which I don't have right now). This has me concerned, despite my comp running like it was before (the only problem being it killed my CD drive, which another reboot fixed).

I don't know, I'm thinking of trying another (safer) method to get Blood working if this doesn't work out... :roll:
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

dosbox is the safest because it's virtual

when 0.66 comes out you'll think it's the best thing ever, I guarantee it(tm)
knightmare777

blood transfusion

Post by knightmare777 »

your exceptional method works extremely well i can enjoy blood once again!!! :evillaugh: but i also noticed due to some experimintation that it also works with shadow warrior !! just change the bat file to sw instead of blood andd follow all your steps the exact same way!!! i have a small keyboard issue with the bat file when launching wanton destruction though :banghead: !!! but hey this is awsome!!!! thanx alot for this info!!!!! :shooting:
The_Watcher

Post by The_Watcher »

I tried DOSbox after this method failed, and now I can play Blood! Too bad Too bad it's slow and choppy a good bit of the time... :roll:
deuxsonic
Rat

Post by deuxsonic »

I used to run into crackly SFX when running it on XP using VDMS and found using 22khz for SFX instead of 44 fixed the problem (in case anyone else ran into this problem.) Other than that, and the fact that CD tracks only play through once and then stop, everything runs fine for me.
StIwY
Cultist

Post by StIwY »

deuxsonic wrote: the fact that CD tracks only play through once and then stop.
I have the same problem...... :shrug:
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

CD tracks should start over if you save and load a game.
Quickening
Axe Zombie

Post by Quickening »

I have tried the stickied method of getting Blood working a million times to the letter and it just ain't happening. I recently got a new PC and I just can't seem to get Blood running on it. Everytime I try the above method I get this error:

Please someone help I love this game! :cry:
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Could you be a little more specific, maybe a screen of your DOS window, (incidentally 'Alt+Print Screen' will capture just the active window) or your CPU. There are a number of ways to get Blood working to varying levels of success.

Can you run Blood in a minimal state? For instance, turn off all the sound, and keep the resolution at '320x200 (Normal Mode)' while running Blood with the -quick option? ie "C:\Blood>Blood -quick"

You might also try the DOSBox option Cheapy mentioned earlier, or the original Build on XP instructions found here: http://buildxp.deathmask.net/

Post by Guest »

Cruaich wrote:Could you be a little more specific, maybe a screen of your DOS window, (incidentally 'Alt+Print Screen' will capture just the active window) or your CPU. There are a number of ways to get Blood working to varying levels of success.

Can you run Blood in a minimal state? For instance, turn off all the sound, and keep the resolution at '320x200 (Normal Mode)' while running Blood with the -quick option? ie "C:\Blood>Blood -quick"

You might also try the DOSBox option Cheapy mentioned earlier, or the original Build on XP instructions found here: http://buildxp.deathmask.net/
Thanks. Yeah Ive tried all the usual methods but I get the same error all the time. And no Ive tried disabling the Blood sound, playing in 320x200 and nothing will work :cry:
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Hmm, are you using a 64-bit edition of Windows? (That might cause problems.)

Try this:
1. Navigate to your Blood folder and right-click on Blood.exe
2. Select "Properties" from the pop-up menu.
3. Click the "Program" tab at the top of the window. In the field marked "Cmd line:", after BLOOD.EXE, type " -quick" (without the quotes).
** Your "Cmd line" field should read something like this:
C:\BLOOD\BLOOD.EXE -QUICK
(It is possibly in a different directory/folder.)
4. Click the "Compatibility" tab. Check the box marked "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and in the pull down menu below, select "Windows 95".
5. Click the "OK" button to apply your changes and close the "Shortcut to BLOOD Properties" window.

Hopefully this is the same for whatever version of Windows you have. :)

-Slink
Quickening
Axe Zombie

Post by Quickening »

Slink wrote:Hmm, are you using a 64-bit edition of Windows? (That might cause problems.)

Try this:
1. Navigate to your Blood folder and right-click on Blood.exe
2. Select "Properties" from the pop-up menu.
3. Click the "Program" tab at the top of the window. In the field marked "Cmd line:", after BLOOD.EXE, type " -quick" (without the quotes).
** Your "Cmd line" field should read something like this:
C:\BLOOD\BLOOD.EXE -QUICK
(It is possibly in a different directory/folder.)
4. Click the "Compatibility" tab. Check the box marked "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and in the pull down menu below, select "Windows 95".
5. Click the "OK" button to apply your changes and close the "Shortcut to BLOOD Properties" window.

Hopefully this is the same for whatever version of Windows you have. :)

-Slink
Nah I don't think it's a 64 bit thing. Just regular XP Professional. Unfortunately the above didn't work. I had tried it before to. I just don't get this.