Just how popular are/were the Blood series?

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Harry
Cultist

Just how popular are/were the Blood series?

Post by Harry »

Anyone got an estimate of the following compared to other games?
scar3crow
kvlt-anaatmanah

Post by scar3crow »

I think the presence here should be an indicator.

It should be noted that Blood is a 2.5d engine game, namely utilizing sprites. This made it "old hat" on release because it came in right as the use of polygons became much more popular, particularly in first person shooters, namely due to Quake. Basically it didnt get much liftoff due to the perceived constraints of technology and the timing of the release. Had it come out 6 months before Quake however, it might have appreciated a more fair look that was less based on technology. But that is how the game industry goes. Blood didnt get a fair look because of sprites, if Quake was released in 97 it wouldnt have gotten a fair look because of a lack of colored lighting, if Unreal had been released in 99 it wouldve been looked upon with a lesser eye for its lack of shaders.

The choices for getting noticed seems to be... have impeccable timing (Duke3d, Doom), be ahead of the curve when you come out (Unreal), or lie to people about your technology and hope no one with a voice calls you on it (Half Life2). Blood is a victim to the times, and as that victim many people missed out on some of the best gameplay the industry has ever seen.
RedFanatic
A More Tidy Caleb

Post by RedFanatic »

Sadly it seems very few actually hear about Blood anymore, pretty much everyone on this forum is it.

i don't think there are any other still populated Blood forums other than this :( thats another reason why you Transfusion dudes have to construct and make popular Transfusion so that lots of ppl will play and enjoy it and get into the whole Blood thing
Harry
Cultist

Post by Harry »

One thing I've noticed is that Blood is slightly more popular than what is "apparent", as new people keep coming in even now. Would've helped if a bunch of addons released much earlier. At least one can say that Blood's fanbase consists of a much more mature set of gamers compared to any other.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

SC, that was beautifully put. Harry, I have noticed the sme thing. People who were noobs, or have been occupied or whatever, they come in search of all things Blood, and find our site. It is good to know that there are more than we may realize.

Have you seen the Deathmask forums? The Postmortem? How about the PlanetBlood forums?

There are still many. :)

-Slink
Krypto
Cultist

Post by Krypto »

"April 8th 1997 - One month after the internet shareware version is released, downloads have climbed to over 350000, with BLOOD consistently No.1 in all the Top Downloads lists." Well i think we know what was the best game of the 90's :evillaugh: and heres the best listing of Blood Addons. http://rtcm.thecomitatus.com/knowledge- ... od-addons/