Muzzleflashes?

General discussion relating to the Transfusion project.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

leileilol

o^_^o

Muzzleflashes?

Post by leileilol »

How are they going to be implemented? Blood had some very cool muzzleflashes. Perhaps you could try a sprite that's only viewed by the muzzle discharging player?
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

That is almost exactly the way Monolith did them. As far as I know (afaik? ;)) Blood was the first FPS to implement completely separate sprites as muzzelflashes.

There was a detailed muzzelflash which displayed on the users screen, and in multiplayer, a seperate muzzleflash was displayed to other players, emitting from your player. Get me? Look at the stupid text pic below, and see the "external" muzzle flash.
-Slink

:twisted:
|_= * - Bang!
|\
|_\____
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

I know there's a third person muzzleflash, but that would also be possible as well :P
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Well, the view of the third person muzzelflash varied depending on which angle you viewed it from. As far as I know, we could only do that effect by using multiple particle muzzelflash (a la Max Payne, or Action-Halflife,) which, by the way, looks VERY cool! ;)

This brings another topic to mind: quite a while back, people were talking about a nostalgia mode in TF. This would mean having sprites represent actors/items/etc instead of models. If we were to implement this code, it could be used for the 3rd person muzzelflash. Alas, that is another story...

8)

-Slink
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

What about a muzzleflash model, that's just two crossed planes?