How Caleb got his gr00ve back...

General discussion relating to the Transfusion project.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Zardoz
Fanatic

How Caleb got his gr00ve back...

Post by Zardoz »

Before I run my mouth and say something competely ignorant, all apologize up front as I've never played Transfusion beta 3.

It looks like TF might get real crouching thanks to the Q3 map format- great news! I was wondering if TF might get a little of Caleb's bounciness back as well. Once upon a time psuedocrouching (a quake C Hack left over from Hexen 2) was discussed as a possibility for TF and rejected. Could that be modified to give that bounce that occured when Caleb jumped? It can't go all the way to the floor like it does and it would have to be re-triggered to occur with every jump instead of a key stroke... but is that something that might work?

Also, Cruaich mentioned the lack of weapons movement as Caleb ran, causing everything to feel *stiff*. Could that movement be turned into a weapons animation instead of a player model movement?

Just wondering. Please keep apology above in mind.

Willis, scar3crow- thoughts?
Last edited by Zardoz on Mon Jun 19, 2006 03:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
scar3crow
kvlt-anaatmanah

Post by scar3crow »

Weapon swaying is a relatively simple thing, and some engines do it automatically.

As for the little bit of a dip he does on landing (which I would attribute to the bending of ones knees so as to distribute the shock of impact) that could be accomplished with a brief viewpoint shift and dipping of the gun, no movement of the actual client beyond the jumping aspect required.

But yeah, weapons sway is generally a motion of the v_weapon model, not the player model, and not through animation. Im curious as to if this could be done actually through the attachment code... I'll leave that pondering up to Willis.
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

scar3crow wrote: But yeah, weapons sway is generally a motion of the v_weapon model, not the player model, and not through animation. Im curious as to if this could be done actually through the attachment code... I'll leave that pondering up to Willis.
That's how nexuiz did it

though DP has automatic swaybobbing now, thanks to sajt
Zardoz
Fanatic

Post by Zardoz »

scar3crow:
that could be accomplished with a brief viewpoint shift and dipping of the gun, no movement of the actual client beyond the jumping aspect required.
I thought that was all hexen 2 crouching consisted of. That slight bobbing of the weapon at impact added to blood's organic feel. It would be great to see it in beta 4. I wish there was away to measure the degree of view change and the time elapsed.

CheapAlert:
though DP has automatic swaybobbing now, thanks to sajt
Will beta4 use the latest version of DP?
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

Of course, any new releases of a darkplaces-based game usually includes the latest build.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Well, Zardoz, I think that you have a good point, seeing as how Tfn looks quite rigid in comparison to Blood's seemingly fluid player motion. I was previously considering this topic myself. As those methods aforementioned by scar3crow imply, it would probably be simple (and effective) to achieve these visual effects. I think that this visual "feel" was integral to Blood's atmosphere, so I'm all for it (as long as you can toggle it ;) ) who else agrees?
-Slink
Peterix
Rat

Post by Peterix »

Yes, that's what is missing.
That and the bouncy dynamite physics.
Zardoz
Fanatic

and then... 3 months later

Post by Zardoz »

Slink
A toggable (is this a word?) player motion is a great idea.

I was just looking at the vids that predator put up and noticed
some weapons now have movement. This was a nice touch. I'm wondering
if the weapons movement can be altered? maybe slowed down by 50%
or so. The movement portrayed is roughly tipical of most shooters, it is meant to suggest a running movement, every step is hinted at y a swaying of the view weapon. Blood weapons movement was very slow and added to the mood of the game reflecting supernatual tendancies, giving the game a nice floaty feel.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Beautifully put, Zardoz. The word you were look for is "togglable." No that's not actually a word. :) -SLINK