New engine snapshots on the development website

General discussion relating to the Transfusion project.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Elric
Cabal member

New engine snapshots on the development website

Post by Elric »

I built new engine snapshots a couple of days ago, featuring a new network protocol. I already mentioned that to the other developers through our mailing list, but since several people seem to have lag problems with the latest beta release, they may want to give this new engine build a try.
You can get it from the snapshots page of our development website (qblood-bin-*.zip files for the binaries and darkplaces-CVS-*.zip for the source code).
Willis

Master of the Mask
Lead Programmer

Post by Willis »

To any who give it a try, be aware that the new engine will not connect to an old server due to a small error.

But fear not, we have two dedicated servers up.
The one for 1.1 Beta 3 is labeled as such
The one running the new engine is labeled as 1.1 PREBETA4

Note that if you try to connect to the wrong one you will get a short bit of garbage called a packet dump and no connection.
Savage
Axe Zombie

Post by Savage »

Does anybody know what aspect of the netcode was improved? I played with prebeta4 some minutes ago with a ping of 200-210ms (I´m living in europe. ADSL connection). Player-movement is still jerky as there is a very noticeable delay between e.g. pressing jump-key and actually jumping. Same for strafing, moving forward etc. There doesn´t seem to be any predicting on the client side (no surprise here - its netquake, not quakeworld).

Are QuakeC changes necessary to benefit from the netcode changes?

Savage
Elric
Cabal member

Post by Elric »

My mistake :?

LordHavoc just told me that the new network protocol shouldn't bring any change regarding the lag. Its main feature is to eliminate the bandwith problems the previous protocol has.