Internet Play ---> Direct connect ?

General discussion relating to the Transfusion project.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

FloLob
Rat

Internet Play ---> Direct connect ?

Post by FloLob »

I would to play my friend via Internet.
Does Tranfusion support a direct connect , without starting a "real" server ?
I have no ideas about the quake 1 engine and internet play.
Can someone briefly explain the best way to set up a 1 on 1 deathmatch via the Internet, plz.

Thx in advance.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

the easiet way to get a game going over the internet would be to find the IP address for the host computer, and then forward that IP address to the client that wants to connect to the game you are hosting.

Once the client has the IP address they can then bring down the consol (~) and type "connect *insert host ip address here*"

If the host happens to be behind a firewall or is connected to the internet through a router, be sure to do the port forwarding to the host comptuer and to get the IP address of the hub rather than the internal LAN IP address. That will probably look something like 192.168.0.2, you don't want this type of IP address as it would be useless outside of your LAN. You will want to look for something that looks more like 80.4.194.8
da_weezle
Acolyte

Post by da_weezle »

Basically any IP adress is possible. Common IP adresses for LAN usually are 198.168.x.x indeed. Also, if the IP starts with 169.x.x.x it's likely to be a IP address automatically allocated by Windows when it can't connect to anything. This last one is only applicable if you have more than one networkcards in your computer though.
FloLob
Rat

Post by FloLob »

We managed to establish a 1 on 1 connection. My friend made his server public and I was able to join using the "join game" option.

But the game is completely laggy for the client. We both live in germany, using both the same provider (with fastpath). We disabled the xp-firewall, but the game is unplayable on the client machine. We had no chance to test the game on LAN yet. I hope transfusion will perform better then.

Any ideas how to improve the internet performance ?
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

What ping are you getting and what version of transfusion are you running?
You should beable to get a decent game in with a ping as high as 100-150, with any of the recent DarkPlaces builds.

The exe for Transfusion 1.0 is an older version of DarkPlaces that had not yet incorperated QuakeWorld style netcode (wich is basicly use for Q2 and Q3 as well). If you want to continue to run Transfusion 1.0, you would probably do well in upgrading the exe to the latest DarkPlaces exe. You can get that here.

Just unzip that into you Transfusion root directory. You can then rename darkplaces.exe or just run it as is.

If your running the public Beta3, you'r probably already getting the best game as of now. LordHavoc has some ideas on improving the current netcode, but it may be a while befor it's implemented, let alone even tested.
Savage
Axe Zombie

Post by Savage »

Cruaich wrote: LordHavoc has some ideas on improving the current netcode, but it may be a while befor it's implemented, let alone even tested.
I think it´s already implemented - have a look for "PROTOCOL_DARKPLACES5" in CVS logs (about 4 days ago).

Savage
Elric
Cabal member

Post by Elric »

Savage wrote:
Cruaich wrote: LordHavoc has some ideas on improving the current netcode, but it may be a while befor it's implemented, let alone even tested.
I think it´s already implemented - have a look for "PROTOCOL_DARKPLACES5" in CVS logs (about 4 days ago).
Indeed. I should build engine snapshots today or tomorrow for those of you who want to try the new protocol (Win32 and Linux binaries + sources). We will need an additional public server though.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

ohhh, that was fast. Thanks guys. :P
Willis

Master of the Mask
Lead Programmer

Post by Willis »

"Elric"I think it´s already implemented - have a look for "PROTOCOL_DARKPLACES5" in CVS logs (about 4 days ago).
Indeed. I should build engine snapshots today or tomorrow for those of you who want to try the new protocol (Win32 and Linux binaries + sources). We will need an additional public server though.[/quote]

We don't truely need an additional server as if the client does not support PROTOCOL_DARKPLACES5, it will revert the the next most current version, but I'll start up a second server and label it 1.1prebeta4 for now.
Willis

Master of the Mask
Lead Programmer

Post by Willis »

Guess I was wrong, you get that page full of garbage like we've seen in the past.

Second server up and labeled at 1.1preBeta4
FloLob
Rat

Laggy, even when playing on LAN

Post by FloLob »

We tried Transfusion on a 2 player LAN today. It was unplayably laggy on the client machine, just like it was when playing via Internet.
Too bad ..... I hope this can be fixed someday.

We used transfusion 1.1 beta 3 and Win XP.
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

da_weezle wrote:Basically any IP adress is possible. Common IP adresses for LAN usually are 198.168.x.x indeed. Also, if the IP starts with 169.x.x.x it's likely to be a IP address automatically allocated by Windows when it can't connect to anything. This last one is only applicable if you have more than one networkcards in your computer though.
Anubis

Post by Anubis »

Ok, I am having trouble getting a connection from other computers in my house when trying to play and have yet to try having ppl connect from other locations. I think it is the way I have my network setup but I'll let you all be the judge on this one. First off I have two network cards in my computer. I xdo this because I run I website off my computer and didn't want to fight with my POS router so I can bind directly to the IP that I get from my ISP. The second I use to serve the internet to the router and that goes to the other computers in the house. The original problem I had was Transfusion kept binding to the wrong IP addy so no one anywhere could connect to me. The IP it was binding to was the one I assigned to my NIC that serves to the router. This seems to have been solved by updating to DarkPlaces but still I can't seem to have any of the computers in my house connect to me. The can see me but get a "Connection Failed" generic error. I put myself behind the router and had one of the other computers connect to me and it worked fine. I have done plenty of multiplayer games within my house hold wirth my current network setup and never had any probs so I don't know if there is a bug or if it's just a case of pebkac. If anyone can help I would be much obliged.