Why not Frogbot?

General discussion relating to the Transfusion project.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

scar3crow
kvlt-anaatmanah

Post by scar3crow »

They seem to be more of waypointed incorrectly, and not being initialized correctly... I really should just get FrikaC to load it up and run around and see what he thinks is going on.

In fact I think I will ask him to do that the next time hes on.

But just because an existing bot is having problems does not mean that replacing a bot with what is for all intents and purposes a brick isnt going to help things... Its like replacing Dan Quayle with a patient in a coma on life support, sure theyre not going to say anything dumb, but thats cause theyre not going to say anything. For whatever reason FBX is acting strange, we know it is unique to Transfusion, as they play wonderfully in various mods and on a large variety of maps. Hell, a bot that I have seen first hand actually make use of func_trains to reach secrets, rocket jump intelligently and navigate tricky terrain... To see their behavior in Transfusion tells me something is wrong with the implementation.

I think there is a certain level of apathy... Definitely. But Im certainly not apathetic about the idea of removing a raw piece of filet mignon to put in an overdone hunk of crap.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Your point is made. Well made. OK? Implementation problems, we can deal with that. There are still other things to worry about right now. We still have $#!t to implement that will change requirements for bot behavior anyhow. BTW, can frikbotx make the bots crouch? ;)
-Slink
Willis

Master of the Mask
Lead Programmer

Post by Willis »

scar3crow wrote:Im protective of FBX, like I am with DarkPlaces. Might have something to do with the fact that both were developed by people I consider to be good friends.
Heh, just happens to be ironic that they have so much trouble combined.

LordHavoc has stated many times that FBX really brings out the worst in DP (because of how many changes seem to conflict with FBX).

For the better part, the poor bot performance is a combination of no waypoints and old waypoints. At one point, somebody had made a number of waypoint files for various maps for a version of FrikBot before FBX. Some of the maps have changed, I'm sure some of the bot navigation code has changed, but as Cruaich stated, nobody has taken the time to update them (at at this point, I would suggest nobody try too seriously untill we a better underway in q3bsp maps).

Then there are other issues like physics (the bots really like to jump beyond the limits of a regular player in DP, this is known, but unknown how to fix it). So the aren't perfect, but even at their worst, they are better than most all options. Not to say our QC is perfect, it could probably use some tweaks in physics as well.
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

Yes, and let me just add that about a year ago I made waypoint files for many TF maps and they didn't change a thing. Even in BB3 (Bodies), which is a very simple map, bots were still stupid. The problem with those bots in TF is more complicated - it's not just waypoints.