Why not Frogbot?

General discussion relating to the Transfusion project.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

AlexyeNov
Rat

Why not Frogbot?

Post by AlexyeNov »

Why you did not use as bots Frogbot ? It is the best bot for Quake1!
With full sorce code...
scar3crow
kvlt-anaatmanah

Post by scar3crow »

It is about as flexible as a brick. It has a terrible waypointing system, Everything about it is hardcoded, despite being a mod itself it is very much hardcoded, meaning it doesnt know how to generally use an item it comes across because it doesnt emulate a client properly. It is only suited for 1on1 matches. It wasnt designed to be used in other mods.

Basically, every single thing Frogbot does is a step away from being put into other mods or being good for anything other than 1on1. You use frogbots, youre going to have to recode them damn near everytime something in the gamecode changes - and write specific code for them for every single weapon just to get them to generically fire it.

Frogbot is as good at being anything other than a stock Quake 1on1 bot as an ice machine is at being a wife and kid.
da_weezle
Acolyte

Post by da_weezle »

Will someone give this guy the award for the strongest post of the year please? :D
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

1. frogbot doesn't "plug".
2. frogbot is strict on waypoints

end of story.
AlexyeNov
Rat

Post by AlexyeNov »

May be waypoint-based very skilled bot will the best a choice, than stupid and predicted FrikBotX bot? Perhaps, the smaller numbers of maps, but with more skilled opponent it is better, than to observe on, how by uncountable quantity of maps dances the idiot with pitchfork?

Sorry, but bot is very stupid, yes...
scar3crow
kvlt-anaatmanah

Post by scar3crow »

You missed the point, the Frogbot is precisely the worst kind of bot for a project like Transfusion. Frogbot is only good for stock Quake gameplay and nothing else. It is inflexible and not worth the effort. It may look good, and fight well on those maps, but thats because it only supports those maps.

Have you played FrikbotX outside of Transfusion? Because it is hardly unintelligent. FrikbotX uses a variety of behaviours and tactics, rocketjumps, leads shots, can successfully use platforms and trains and has a very modular waypointing system. Transfusion is having some problems with them, but the bot itself works wonderfully.

To prefer Frogbot over FrikbotX is like choosing Milli Vanilli over Opeth, a rehearsed scenario to the point of perfection with no flexibility or variation as opposed to a wide range of experiences.

I actively endorse that Frogbot never be considered for this project.
AlexyeNov
Rat

Post by AlexyeNov »

You can be right... In any case it would be good to allocate bots in transfusion with brains:)
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

It's a subtle effort to persuaide users to go through the effort of setting up Bloodbath with each other. :D
AlexyeNov
Rat

Post by AlexyeNov »

Yes, it so:) However good boats superfluous will not be:)
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Hey, why don't we put both bots into TF and see which one wins? HAH! No... just kidding, really. Please don't support this. :D
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted]
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Dec 14, 2006 01:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Lets make this a little more simple. Wich would you rather see in Transfusion?
  • New bots
    or
    Monsters and other SP elements
That's not to say that one wont happen because of the other, it's just priorities.

Personaly I want to see monsters, weapons code, game physics and then bots updated.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Agreed. (With Cruaich.) As though you didn't know I was going to say that! ;)
-Slink
scar3crow
kvlt-anaatmanah

Post by scar3crow »

*rips hair out, sets self on fire*

.... no it doesnt. No offense to those involved, but I watched Frikbot through its development, I was one of the testers. Good friends of mine did the waypoints for the id maps. I watched its progress through the versions and saw all of the work he put into it to make it actually function like a real player, while keeping it open for modders to make use of.

Frogbot plays Quake1 deathmatch 1on1. Thats what it does. If you want to play Quake1 deathmatch against just one opponent in Transfusion, be my guest. Because it doesnt properly emulate a client and thus wouldnt even know how to work the shotgun.

Sorry but this is a bit of pet peeve. Im protective of FBX, like I am with DarkPlaces. Might have something to do with the fact that both were developed by people I consider to be good friends.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

You have to admit the bots we have running around in Transfusion right now are pretty stupid. If it's a simple case of mayking waypoints that's fine... except that no one has done it in the 3 odd years that we've had FrikBot bundled in Transfusion. It makes me think there is a little more to it than that or no one really cares about bots in Transfusion to do anything about it.