Translated FAQ

General discussion relating to the Transfusion project.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Fresh_meat
Cultist

Translated FAQ

Post by Fresh_meat »

Hi everyone,
I am a blood fan, but I am a newbi progammer too, no rather good to help you to develop Blood, I decide to translate the FAQ in french because I am Frech and I thought that could help people who don't speak english. This is the result :
Ce fil d'information a pour objectif de répondre aux questions fréquemment posées à propos de Tranfusion. Lors ce que des questions sont posées, soit par des postes dans ce fil, soit dénichées ailleur, elles (ou du moin je l'espert) trouverons réponces et des lors seront postées ici à la vue de tous.

Remarque : Ce projet à pour but de fournir un fil d'information propre, ce qui signifie qu'aucun commentaire superflu ne sera accepté. Les questions peuvent-être postées, mais une fois la question ajoutée à la FAQ (Foire Aux Questios) le poste sera supprimé. Par la suite, la FAQ du site principale pourra être étoffée, ou encore redirigée ici.

=============================

Pourquoi faites-vous ça ?

Transfusion à pour objectif d'être la meilleur chose aprés l'obtension de code source de Blood (voir The Blood Source Release Campagne [La Campagne de libération des sources de Blood]).

Pourquoi utilisez vous le moteur de Quake1 au lieu de celui d'Half-Life, de Quake3 ou encore celui d'autres jeux ?

En un mot : LIBERTE. Le code source du moteur de Quake1 est redu publique !
Presque toutes les autres plateforme de jeu dispose de ce que l'on appel un S.D.K (software development kit [kit de développement logiciel]) qui vous procure un accés limité (mais souvent plus que sufisant) au code source du jeu, mais aucun accés au moteur du jeu. Ce qui signifie que si nous avions choisi Half-Life par exemple, seul les personnes propriétaire du jeu auraient pu y jouer. Transfusion est disponible pour tous ceux qui le souhaite, qu'ils disposent ou non de Quake.

Ne transgressez-vous pas les lois en utilisant le contenu artistique et le designe de Blood ?

Néni :-D les droits de propriétés intellectuelle de Blood appartiennent respectivement à Monolith Productions et à Infogrames. Jason Hall, directeur général de Monolith, nous as donné son accord et nous avons même reçu de l'aide de Matt Saettler et de Nick Newhard qui dirigeaient l'équipe de développement originelle de Blood. Infogrames Inc, qui se réclament propriétaire de Blood(tm), ont accepté de nous laisser tranquillement donner le status de "non commercial" à notre à notre projet, aussi longtemps que le nom de notre projet ne se rèfert pas directement Blood(tm). C'est pourquoi ce projet s'appel "Transfusion" (vous avez peut-être entendu parlé de nous avant sous le nom de "qBlood" ou encore de "BloodBath").

Allez-vous recréer le jeu en ENTIER ?

Par la suite. La première version 1.01, et les versions beta actuelles, sont seulement focalisées sur le mode multijoueur de Blood. De cette manière nous (et vous) pouvez y jouer plus vite tout en obtenant en même temps la majoritée le majorité des fonctions du mode solo. Cependant, quand le moment sera venu, nous nous attaquerons au mode solo un épisode à la fois, incluant Plasma Pak et Cryptic Passage.

Puis-je lancer Transfusion avec une autre version du moteur de Quake ?

Avec les anciennes version de Transfusion (la serie des 1.0x), il est possible d'utiliser d'autre version du moteur de Quake, telles que GLQuake, TomazQuake, ToChris, or encore lancer le jeu en temps de mod pour Quake, tel qu'il est décrit dans le manuel :

Be aware that most Quake 1 compatible engines will require the original Quake data, despite the fact that Transfusion doesn't need them. So you may also want to have the "id1" directory included next to your Transfusion data directory.

To launch Quake using Transfusion as a mod, type the following command line: "winquake -game transfusion", if your Quake engine is named "winquake" of course. You may encounter a few minor bugs (Quake engines with a software renderer have a few visual bugs, in particular), but the gameplay should be very similar to the one we intended to create.

Les récentes version de Transfusion aprés la 1.01, la 1.1beta3 par exemple, sont conçues pour tourner seulement avec DarkPlaces, il est donc probablement trés difficile de le substituer à un autre moteur. L'équipe de Transfusion n'offre pas de support officiel de ces versions pour un autre moteur et il n'y a pas de changement de plans vis à vis d'un de ces autres moteurs.

Je ne peux pas m'abaisser ! Je pouvais le faire dans le jeu original, alors pourquoi pas ici ?

L'action de s'accroupir n'est pas pour l'instant supporté par Transfusion (tout comme Quake ne le support pas non plus). Cependant, il est prévu d'intégrer le mode accroupis dans le jeu, cela fera l'objet d'une prochainne version.
scar3crow
kvlt-anaatmanah

Post by scar3crow »

Nice, thanks for the contribution =)

Im sure it will be of help to someone!
da_weezle
Acolyte

Post by da_weezle »

Merci beaucoup pour cette contribution! (is that right? :))

If you want to help coding, you are very welcome! You basically need to know your way around QuakeC, which looks a lot like the programming language C (but it is less complicated). If there's anything you need to know, just post it here as I'll be checking in regularly.
Fresh_meat
Cultist

Post by Fresh_meat »

Thanks, I will be try the Quake C (I have some C language notions so it can help :-P ). Do you know a good tutorial about Quake C ?

da_weezle => You are all right !
scar3crow
kvlt-anaatmanah

Post by scar3crow »

Fresh_meat; http://www.inside3d.com/qctut/ you can take a look here, the site hasnt been updated in a while, but its actually right now receiving a big facelift and redesign of the tutorials with new ones coming

http://www.planetquake.com/minion/tutorial%5Cmain.htm Coffee's tutorials, these cover more along the lines of basic ai and game mode stuff, different topics

also

http://wiki.quakesrc.org should be the Quake Wiki, which has a section dedicated to QuakeC. it is incomplete, but you can reference it some

also there is #qc on irc.anynet.org the same server also hosts #darkplaces (Transfusions engine) and #transfusion itself
Fresh_meat
Cultist

Post by Fresh_meat »

Ok thanks, I want to know : is the to-do list up to date ?
scar3crow
kvlt-anaatmanah

Post by scar3crow »

I personally have no idea myself, da_weezle or any of the other team members would be much more apt to tell you.
da_weezle
Acolyte

Post by da_weezle »

It might be up to date, but I don't think that the items on the list have high priority. Right now Willis is working on the code for the HUD and I'm working on monster-AI (making them move, attack etc.)

I suggest you request access to our developers-forum by asking Willis, Kazashi or Cruaich (I'm not sure who can help you on that).

Next thing you need to do is prepare your computer to work with the CVS. This means you have to create a Sourceforge.net account and let one of the admins (Kazashi or Willis) add you to our project. Then you have full access to the CVS (which we use for keeping the game-code up-to-date). Our project on Sourceforge.net:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/blood

You can already have a look at the code with a guest account (but you can't commit changes):
http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=22136

Lastly, you need acces to the FTP-server (for the most recent artwork etc). You can ask Willis for this.

We also have an IRC channel (two actually, one is dev-only), but I'm not sure what the current occupation is in there.

[off-topic]
Once again: we really need to set up a FAQ page for new developers...
[/off-topic]
oBe
Cabal member

Post by oBe »

Fresh_meat wrote:Ok thanks, I want to know : is the to-do list up to date ?
Far from
Fresh_meat
Cultist

Post by Fresh_meat »

Ok I created an account on sourceforge. I saw you want how I can help, so even if I didn't code a lot, I can testing releases on some operating system : I use Windows (98/NT5.x), Linux, MacOS, and some other like OpenBSD, FreeBSD, ...
da_weezle
Acolyte

Post by da_weezle »

You need to let Kazashi or Willis add you to the project on Sourceforge (give them your Sourceforge-username). And you'll need access to The Cabal (which is the developer's forum).
Fresh_meat
Cultist

Post by Fresh_meat »

Ok, my sourceforge loggin is fresh_meat ;-p, by and happy new year !
da_weezle
Acolyte

Post by da_weezle »

Have you had a look at the code yet? Because if you only want to test, you can get right at it.
Here it is (you'll need a CVS client):
http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=22136
or
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/b ... ood/progs/
Fresh_meat
Cultist

Post by Fresh_meat »

Yes I already try some stuff with the code but it don't seem pretty good with the old artwork (for example I have many porblems with background who display nothing)