So...... (Linux-y Stuff)

General discussion relating to the Transfusion project.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Tak

So...... (Linux-y Stuff)

Post by Tak »

Well I have been watching this project since it started (I am a habitual lurker) and am finally tied down to a decent OS. (Gentoo) I am anxious to help but don't want to take on anything TOO big. I noticed the To-Do on the main page had quite a bit more in it than the to-do on the forums. Thought maybe someone could tell me how accurate that was and point me in the direction of a better one if one exists. Also I am looking for some tools for Linux, Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Love to help anyway I can.
Kazashi
Shadow Warrior

Post by Kazashi »

The todo lists in the forums are still being built up. Rest assured that there is still a lot of stuff to be done; the list on the site is probably the most complete, but even that doesn't cover everything.

I'm not sure what tools I could tell you to use for Linux, without using Wine. There is a version of BQCC for it, if you were inclined towards coding. Texturing can be done in something like The Gimp, you might be able to use Blender for making models, don't know about maps though. Someone else will probably have a better shot at directing you to some tools.
Savage
Axe Zombie

Post by Savage »

Kazashi wrote: Texturing can be done in something like The Gimp, you might be able to use Blender for making models, don't know about maps though..
GTKRadiant is a IMHO very good map-editor. Starting with version 1.5 it can edit Quake-1 maps. GTKRadiant is free for non-commercial usage - this may conflict with GPLed maps as they may be sold...

Savage
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

How can it edit Q1 maps? I know it can read a q1 map file, but does it understand q1 wad files, with the textures? Or did you just make a .pk3 file with all textures in it?
Savage
Axe Zombie

Post by Savage »

predator wrote:How can it edit Q1 maps? I know it can read a q1 map file, but does it understand q1 wad files, with the textures? Or did you just make a .pk3 file with all textures in it?
I think GTKRadiant 1.5 (beta) understands q1 wad files. I never tried it, though.

Savage
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

Yeah, you're right. The latest version on their site supports quake now.
Thanks for the info. :)