Pic of the day!

General discussion relating to the Transfusion project.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Post by Guest »

Gha! That was me. Damn this foul computer!
Fiend:Kamikaze
A LUMBERJACK!

Post by Fiend:Kamikaze »

Grrr... My internet explorer is trying to destroy me. i apologize for all the posts.
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

A bot was camping in a room guarded by three life leech sentries. I was astounded.
It was just... coincidence. :cry:

Post by Guest »

predator wrote:
Savage wrote:I have made a rtlight-file for crypt.bsp (nice map - dark and evil). Whom can I send it to if anyone is interested?
Send it to -ED, as he just declared he's going to make some .rtlights files.
You'll save him some trouble. 8)
I just discovered that 1.1 beta3 already comes with a crypt.rtlights file. Nonetheless here´s my version:

http://www.speedsurf.to/maikmerten/crypt.rtlights

It looks quite different to the file included with beta3 - less blue, more colors, twice (!) the performance by removing unnecessary lights (more than 3 rtlights shining on a surface = pure evil).

Savage
Savage
Axe Zombie

Post by Savage »

That was me and here´s the correct link:

http://www.speedsurf.to/maikmerten/crypt.html

Savage
Savage
Axe Zombie

Post by Savage »

I tried to edit rtlights for e1m1. Performance, however, is horrible.

Have a look at

http://www.speedsurf.to/maikmerten/visproblem.html

As you can cleary see there are serious problems with visibility of large areas of the map - resulting in insane overdraw. Almost all rtlights are visible from nearly every position. That´s worst case. I think it should be possible to fix these problems with hint-brushes...

Savage
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

Yes, these are problems. People don't use realtime lightning, it makes the game unplayable. :cry:

Nice work anyway. :)
Willis

Master of the Mask
Lead Programmer

Post by Willis »

predator wrote:Yes, these are problems. People don't use realtime lightning, it makes the game unplayable. :cry:
Thats not entirely true.
The game plays fine for me at 20-30FPS @ 800x600, however, the fact that few maps support rtlights makes it impossible to continually play with the features on because some maps become super bright or pitch black.
Kazashi
Shadow Warrior

Post by Kazashi »

I am capable of often hitting 30fps in maps that have been relit, and my system isn't exactly top of the line (XP1800, FX5900 XT). But rtlighting hasn't been a priority thus far; sure, it looks cool, but there were other things that need working on first. Fortunately, it's not hard to get into the game and play around with the lighting yourself.

The crypt.rtlights that came with the beta was my attempt at straightening the lights out. It was a lot worse before that with doubled up lights and colour intensities over 200. Note: this isn't a jab at the mapper (Joe I think it was), but highlights how the lighting styles are so different.
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

Ok, we all have different systems. Mine is not awesome either - Athlon XP 2200+ (1.8 GHz), 512 MB DDR and GeForce 5600 XT 256 MB. With such system the game is totally unplayable for me (in RTL mode) - I did not bother to play 800x600, only 1024x768, in this res I can't play this game wit real time lightning.
-ED
Cabal member

Post by -ED »

One by one:
1. thanx for rtlights help. i'll surely start to do these babies for at least maps I have in the works now.
2. TF CAN be played pretty good in realtime. it depends from map to map (and as I see now from re-lighting), but at least bb3 was good with bots. i had a lot of fragging. also nobody said that realtime mode is finished in DP itself, right? or have i missed something?
3. e1m1. I'm not sure that beta 3 uses updated one. one who gathered stuff for beta 3 should know which version of e1m1 is in beta. i made a version without box and leaks. And i redone some of the things (q1bsp doesn't have hint brushes and stuff so i converted some solid geometry into func_walls where it was possible - less portals and smaller qbsp tree).
if we move to q3bsp that's not going to be problem. we'll have portals, hints, and other stuff. if DP handles them. anybody?
Savage
Axe Zombie

Post by Savage »

-ED wrote: 2. TF CAN be played pretty good in realtime. it depends from map to map (and as I see now from re-lighting), but at least bb3 was good with bots. i had a lot of fragging. also nobody said that realtime mode is finished in DP itself, right? or have i missed something?
Software is never finished. NEVER! ;)

(at least as long as there are developers workin on it - and Darkplaces seems quite active to me)
-ED wrote: 3. e1m1. I'm not sure that beta 3 uses updated one. one who gathered stuff for beta 3 should know which version of e1m1 is in beta. i made a version without box and leaks. And i redone some of the things (q1bsp doesn't have hint brushes and stuff so i converted some solid geometry into func_walls where it was possible - less portals and smaller qbsp tree).
if we move to q3bsp that's not going to be problem. we'll have portals, hints, and other stuff. if DP handles them. anybody?
AFAIK Darkplaces supports every q3bsp feature I´m aware of. Shaders aren´t supported at the time being - but this is neither a q3bsp feature nor needed for Transfusion...

Savage
Kazashi
Shadow Warrior

Post by Kazashi »

-ED wrote: 3. e1m1. I'm not sure that beta 3 uses updated one. one who gathered stuff for beta 3 should know which version of e1m1 is in beta. i made a version without box and leaks.
That would be my fault. It gets difficult to keep track of all the different versions of the maps, and while I do remember trying out an updated version of E1M1 I don't know what happened to it during the beta compilation. Hopefully things will be a bit better organised in future as we continue to get the communication issues corrected.

I believe the q3bsp issue has been addressed elsewhere. Suffice to say that it should work fine.
-ED
Cabal member

Post by -ED »

Hmm.

2 Kazashi: it's not a problem. Mapping topics in The Cabal seem to be active now and I think we will clean everything up very soon. It's not a fault not to posess information:). So it's kinda OK. It's mappers' fault for being silent and do not stick together. I hope it is past now...:)
frightfan
Caleb's Bootlicker

Post by frightfan »

Kazashi wrote:I said that because those shots reminded me of the overglossed wax-like facade that Tenebrae gives to the textures.....
Yeah, it looks like someone loaded a humidifier up with liquid wax and turned it on high-fan hehe.