Regarding the Team Members page

General discussion relating to the Transfusion project.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

scar3crow

Regarding the Team Members page

Post by scar3crow »

I know I wasnt involved on much of a material level... but it took a helluva lot of convincing and arguing, with example code, and optimistic coercion to get people to consider it a possibility of porting Blood into a Quake engine, let alone taking an interest in it. And I think for spending that month inspiring others to give it a go, and proving to them that they can do it... giving guidance and helping them to network with members of the Quake community, and convincing people in the Quake community that its a good project to support... I was a bit insulted to see that Im no longer on the team page at all, not even a mention of text near the bottom, as a temporary contributor or retired member.

It feels shallow doing this, but this thing has been grating away inside my gut like shrapnel inside the hip, and I felt the need to say something.

-scar3crow
scar3crow at gmail dot com
-ED
Cabal member

Post by -ED »

Somewhere in other thread i've already had to say pretty same thing but with different facts. i figured out it is pure inconvinience. i already boiled my fury:). just contact Elric (via forum for example) - and he'll bring you back...I hope. or it will be total mess.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

scar3crow, you were on the team page for a while there. The dude in the hocky mask, labled "the voice and the way" or some such... I think Mathieu moved you to the credits.txt file.
scar3crow

Post by scar3crow »

It was a mask formed to my face actually, not hockey, just complete obscurity (worked wonderfully that year, cause it was so close to my skin, it looked almost natural in terms of height changes relating to the flesh). However it does seem rather odd to move someone to a text file thats in a release, when you have a section on the site for inactive, retired, and such, some with just text, some with pictures. I would say this is an intrapsychic conflict of mine, but I dont like the way it leaves me feeling.

I dont have an active internet connection at home right now, due to finances (I make what I can to pay for groceries... and require the help of others to make ends meet on utilities and rent), and the only job I can get is work study. So I cant download the latest release or anything of that sort, Ive been incapable pretty much of making contact with anyone online, short of through my LiveJournal, mainly through updates in the campus computer lab that I work at, such as right now.

I just dont see a reason for the move, considering thats the only change I see. Its not like it cleaned up the page or anything, and its not like that little thumbnail with a line of text was taking up space.

Maybe Im being self centered... but Im also being vocal, and Im not seeing a rationale behind this.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Others were moved to the credits.txt as well, it wasn't just you. As it is the team page still nees some work.

About the Inactive/Retired team sections.
Tim is a little buisy in the Service just now. Darth Linux still provides FTP access for the project and .\frightfan/. did alot of work that is still in the Beta3, he's been talking about coming back to map a bit more as well. I dont really know exactly what the other two guys have done, exactly, but I'm sure Mathieu has an idea.

Wasn't it really Tim, Mathieu and Greg who started the project? Tim and Mathieu were already doing ReBuild and then decided to move onto the Quake engine when it went GPL. I know I had the same thoughts of "wouldn't it be cool if..." when the Quake/GPL announcement was made.

It was a little while befor I actuly found the project after it started, mid summer some time. So I dont know exactly how it started.
scar3crow

Post by scar3crow »

I started talking of it on the Blood Source Release Campaign forum, and at the time, had heard absolutely nothing regarding anyone even speculating in the public of doing such a project. From then I argued that it could be done (people had no idea how powerful just even QuakeC is) and in the Quake game code, so much of it is already done in a way. It has of course changed since... but I do recall being the person who brought it up first, and encouraged it strongly, showing how it can be done using Quake. I recall frightfan being very excited over it, and I thank him for that, hes incredibly cool. Timothy was very receptive and we talked some. Elric I've never really spoken with, but regardless, I heard nothing of anyone else even suggesting it. And you can still find the original Quake expo booth of Frightfan's which mentions me of having suggested, encouraged, and persuaded others to consider the project seriously. Through that booth and Frightfan, I received the title "the voice and the light".
I also originally sought permission from Monolith to create the mod (back when it was to just be a detailed total conversion moreso, before people kept wanting to hop to the next engine out there). I still have the email from them, which gave a limited permission, acknowledging they no longer really hold position of Blood.

I recall quite vividly the first few months of the project, arguing just for its consideration of existence on the Blood Source Release forums, and getting Quake'rs to support it on the Inside3d forums and through IRC in #qc
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

can I get a copy of that monolith email? I have the Infogrames letter, it'd be nice to have these for refrence.
sirlemonhead
Cultist

Post by sirlemonhead »

Are these e-mails private/confidential to the Transfusion team people or could I get to see them too? Really curious to see them.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Well, as they are addressed to specific people (Darth Linux and scar3crow) you'd have to ask them directly, as the letters are addressed directly to them; confidentiality and all that jazz. We might end up with a licence page with all the fun stuff up to clarify things. (Refering to the other other thread about the GPL'ness of our map data.)