Caleb's Awakening?

General discussion relating to the Transfusion project.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Elric
Cabal member

Post by Elric »

Cruaich wrote:I know Mathieu did a lot of code with the weapons.
Indeed. I have done most on the 1.0x game code, and something like 1/5 of the post 1.01 game code. So I have few knowledge of the recent parts of the game code, such as monster AI. But I can certainly provide some general help.

All you should need to start messing with the code is the latest qblood-CVS snapshot on our development site. Go to our home page -> "Developer's Corner" -> "Snapshots". The source code is in "qblood-CVS-xxxxxx.zip" packages, prebuild binaries in "qblood-bin-..." packages if you don't want to compile BQCC (our QuakeC compiler) by yourself.

Once you have unpacked the source code, put the BQCC binary in the "progs" directory and run it. You should get 3 new files: "progs.dat", "bqcc.log" and "progdefs.h". You don't care about the last one. It's used for compiled the engine, and it should NEVER change. "progs.dat" is the actual game code you must put into the TF packages.

Voila! You will eventually want to use CVS directly to fetch the source code from the repository, but given it hasn't changed since quite some time, the snapshots should be good enough to start.
Toddd
Axe Zombie

Post by Toddd »

@ Predator: Transfusion uses the infamous FrikBot: http://www.inside3d.com/frikbot/fbx/

If you really can improve on that, there are a lot of games out there that might find your improvements usefull...
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

Well, I will try to squeeze as much as I can out of it. :D
da_weezle
Acolyte

Post by da_weezle »

Yesterday I did a good dig through all the code, and I can start the work now. To test the code I put the initial Caleb-health to a poor 10 hp, and I concluded... that you don't live that long that way. :P
Last edited by da_weezle on Sun Sep 05, 2004 07:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Sweet! Good work Mr. Da_Weezel. It'll be kick ass to get some good bots tooling around.
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

:D

But I hope you are working on other things, not on the bot code, right?
da_weezle
Acolyte

Post by da_weezle »

I am not working on the bot code. Wouldn't dare to interfere with that. :)
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Oops :oops: , I just got a little ahead of myself. It's Predator and the bots and da_weezel on the game code... right, that's all sorted?
da_weezle
Acolyte

Post by da_weezle »

Yep, working through the CVS guide right now. I'm just so tired from school, so i'm slow-minded right now. :?
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

Cool, it is nice to see someone starting the work on the game code. Good luck! :D
da_weezle
Acolyte

Post by da_weezle »

I hate to say this, but I haven't had any time for working on the code lately. I have lot's of courses planned in at school, which just keeps me going as it seems. Hopefully in the near future I will have more time to hack-and-slash through the code. :?
Toddd
Axe Zombie

Post by Toddd »

da_weezle wrote:I am not working on the bot code. Wouldn't dare to interfere with that. :)
Some people say that the Darkplaces engine has problems with the .way files for the Frikbots. So maybe the bots don't need that much coding...
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

Actually they need a lot of coding. :lol: