Caleb's Awakening?

General discussion relating to the Transfusion project.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

da_weezle
Acolyte

Caleb's Awakening?

Post by da_weezle »

What's the status of Transfusion II? Is it still planned for the Quake 2 engine? The latest snapshot (http://blood.sourceforge.net/snapshots.php) seems to be from one and a half a year ago. Since I've been looking through some of the code from TF, my aspirations for contributing to this project has grown. Also because a year ago (when I found out about TF) my C-programming skills were quite poor (and I didn't even have a look at the code back then). So I'm thinking about offering some help on the coding part, but I'd like to know what the exact plans are for singleplayer (if it's on a hold right now or not).

Catcha later dudes (and duderettes perhaps :))!
Kazashi
Shadow Warrior

Post by Kazashi »

"Caleb's Awakening" was going to be the single player aspect of the project, however the engine change didn't go down too well and it was abandoned. The snapshot hasn't been updated since and it won't be updated any more. The single player will remain with DarkPlaces, the game code is done with QuakeC - supposed to be similar to C but with some simpler options, but don't take my word for it as I'm not a programmer. Any code experience would be welcomed as that is what we are critically short of right now.
da_weezle
Acolyte

Post by da_weezle »

That's kinda what I figured. I want to add that my QuakeC-experience is very limited, but I am a programmer so I understand the whole logic behind it. Also (while looking through the TF code) I had virtually no problems with understand what was being done.
I'll probably know a lot more about whether I can join after this week, since it's the first week of school again, and I can judge how much time off I'll be having.

Who's on coding right now btw? I assume Tim is on it, but is there anyone else?
Kazashi
Shadow Warrior

Post by Kazashi »

Who is on coding... well, right now there's not really anybody. The closest thing we have is Predator, who is looking through the bot code, but there's lots of stuff still to be done. As long as you understand the logic behind it you're a long way ahead of most of us ;)
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

Yes, I took the bot code and I'll be working on it. I really want the bots to be more of a challenge. If I achieve good results on bots I will work on other, more important coding issues.
As Kazashi said there are tons of other programming tasks to be taken, so if you want to, it would not hurt to try.
da_weezle
Acolyte

Post by da_weezle »

Did Tim leave then? Or is he on 'hold'?
I'll have a better look around the code then and see what I can do with it. Until further notice...
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Tim is around here an there, but he's kinda buisy being in the Navy and everything. So some times he's not always around. He was making noise that he'll probalby have to head out on a ship some time soon. So he might not be around for much longer. Though I'd leave it to Tim to verify when exactly.
da_weezle
Acolyte

Post by da_weezle »

Ow yeah, now it's all coming back to me. Didn't remember Tim being the navy guy.
Bert
Rat

Post by Bert »

I'm not sure if I can help with coding. I've been programming in java for 3 years and 1 year in c++, but I have no experience with QuakeC (and other than some HL modding and some small java games) no experience with game programming. Let me know if there's something I can do.
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

Well, the source is available, you can take a look at it and then tell us if you feel like working on it. There are many things that need to be done - for example weapon tweaking, we really need them to be even closer to their Blood originals.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Hi Bert, thanks for you intrest! :D If you would like to help with programming you would be more than welcome abord.

Aside from a programming aptitude, do you by chance have access to a comptuer than can run Blood nativly, such as Win98 with online Bloodbath capabilities. I'm verry interested in getting the weapons code done right and the ability to test it would be very usefull.
Bert
Rat

Post by Bert »

I'm running win98 se and I got the one unit: whole blood thing (it's not very legal *cough*), so I'm not sure if online play will work. I think I can get the orriginal CD from a friend though.
I take that TODO list is up to date?
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Not entirely, Tim had that writen a while ago. I think the code side of it is up to date though.
da_weezle
Acolyte

Post by da_weezle »

Hehe, two (potential) coders at the same time. :D

I'm probably gonna have a look at the weapons, because it's the most important thing that needs to be tweaked imo (even before it was suggested a few posts ago. Especially that TNT-throwing is poor compared to the original. Is there a compiling guide or something somewhere? I couldn't figure it out earlier this week (although I must say I didn't really put much effort in it).
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

There is the quake wiki, but it seems to be down just now. Mathieu or Tim should beable to get you started in the right direction... I know Mathieu did a lot of code with the weapons. Atleast I seem to remember it was he that I was bugging all the time about the life leach :D