Transfusion on Mac OS X

General discussion relating to the Transfusion project.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Kazashi
Shadow Warrior

Post by Kazashi »

If we can get someone to compile it, and there's some demand for it, then we could release a Mac bianry. We haven't done so previously mainly due to these two reasons. It's possible that we may include one in future releases, or available as a separate binary for download.
_chw
Rat

Post by _chw »

I'd like to help out compiling this. I installed the SDL Mac binaries from libsdl.org, downloaded the current darkplaces build, installed the Xcode developer tools to get gcc, and then tried the following two things:

a) copying the DarkPlaces.app from the darkplaces download to the transfusion 1.5beta2 directory and running it. I do get visuals, then, but no sound and when starting a game I get the message that the map cannot be loaded

b) running "/usr/bin/make sdl-release" in the darkplaces folder. THen I get the message that SDL.h is not found. I then copied all header files from the SDL installation to the darkplaces directory, but I still get this message (more details on that message available upon request).

Any pointers what I could/should do? There are screenshots of Transfusion on OS X out there, so maybe someone who did compile it could enlighten us with some details on how to do it?
Kazashi
Shadow Warrior

Post by Kazashi »

At the start of the game I assume you're manually loading a map or joining a server?

I don't know if it's applicable to OSX, but in Linux the binary has to be renamed from "darkplaces" to "transfusion" to work. Otherwise it doesn't find the right base directory and won't load the content files.
_chw
Rat

Post by _chw »

Thanks for your reply! I tried renaming the .app file, but this did not work. Since I placed the executable in the transfusion-1.05-beta2 folder, and the maps are in the basetf subfolder (and there in the pk3 file), there should not be any problems finding those maps.
Here is what I tried: I start the game, new single player game, any map, get the error that the map cannot be loaded.
When, however, I try to start a multiplayer game, start a new server, choose any of the blood 2 maps, then the map somehow can be found, but shortly thereafter transfusion crashes. This may be caused by not using the SDL version of DarkPlaces maybe? The binary from the darkplaces page is called "darkplaces-osx-agl" in the error report, and what triggers the error is the radion gl driver and GLEngine.
So any pointers on how to get darkplaces compiled in SDL mode would be greatly appreciated. Several forum users have already done that successfully, maybe they are willing to share their experiences? I will post more detailled compilation errors later today.
_chw
Rat

compilation errors

Post by _chw »

Here is the result of trying to compile sdl-release (darkplaces). I copied SDL.h in the current directory (I even copied the complete Headers directory of SDL), but no change.

$ make sdl-release

make bin-release \
DP_MAKE_TARGET=macosx DP_SOUND_API=COREAUDIO \
EXE="darkplaces-sdl" LDFLAGS_COMMON="-lm -ldl -framework SDL -framework Cocoa SDLMain.m"

========== darkplaces-sdl (release) ==========
make darkplaces-sdl \
DP_MAKE_TARGET=macosx DP_SOUND_API=COREAUDIO \
CFLAGS="-MD -Wall -Wsign-compare -Wdeclaration-after-statement -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing "\
LDFLAGS="-O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -lm -ldl -framework SDL -framework Cocoa SDLMain.m"
gcc -MD -Wall -Wsign-compare -Wdeclaration-after-statement -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -c sys_sdl.c -o sys_sdl.o
sys_sdl.c:14:17: error: SDL.h: No such file or directory
sys_sdl.c: In function 'Sys_Shutdown':
sys_sdl.c:26: warning: implicit declaration of function 'SDL_Quit'
sys_sdl.c: In function 'Sys_DoubleTime':
sys_sdl.c:75: warning: implicit declaration of function 'SDL_GetTicks'
sys_sdl.c: In function 'Sys_Sleep':
sys_sdl.c:161: warning: implicit declaration of function 'SDL_Delay'
sys_sdl.c: In function 'main':
sys_sdl.c:213: warning: implicit declaration of function 'SDL_Init'
make[2]: *** [sys_sdl.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [bin-release] Error 2
make: *** [sdl-release] Error 2
Kazashi
Shadow Warrior

Post by Kazashi »

Hmmm. Single player isn't actually implemented at this point, so the maps won't load through that part of the menu. You can manually load maps via the console, type "maplist" to get a list of what maps you have, then load with "map xxx".

I assume you tried renaming darkplaces-osx-agl to transfusion-osx-agl? Judging by the error log it can't find SDL.h at all. I'm not too sure what to do about that, except trying to find the right place to put the header file.