Is this still alive?

General discussion relating to the Transfusion project.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Blaze Modz
Rat

Is this still alive?

Post by Blaze Modz »

I've known about Transfusion since the begining of 2014. But is it still alive? Update coming soon? :(
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Re: Is this still alive?

Post by N0t_mINe »

Save for th extremely rare maintenance event, Transfusion is silent and has been since about 2005. A skeletal community remains and to this day The transfusion project is the only modfication with a quit claim license to use Blood resources.
dosgamer000
Acolyte

Post by dosgamer000 »

N0t_mINe wrote:Save for th extremely rare maintenance event, Transfusion is silent and has been since about 2005. A skeletal community remains and to this day The transfusion project is the only modfication with a quit claim license to use Blood resources.
What would we need to get TF up and running again? Simply more people with the skills to mod? My apologies for any redundancy.
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

@dosgamer000

At an absolute minimum I'd say getting tfn operational with a modern version of dp, with both source and binary publicly available. Secondly would be to get a server up with the new binaries at least 2-3 days out of the year for some bare bone networking tests.

Nothing wrong with being skeletal, it's when you're a pile of dust is when folks start putting you in an urn, assuming they don't sweep you under the rug first.

*does the happy skeleton dance*
Blaze Modz
Rat

Post by Blaze Modz »

Thanks for the Replies! I Hope it comes back soon! :D
Evaron
Axe Zombie

Post by Evaron »

Come back soon?
It's a dead project mate, unless you wish to work on it all by yourself. :wink:
BEAST
Zealot

Post by BEAST »

It may be down, but I've been pondering an idea that might generate some interest.

The main concern is that the project has no coders, and that a significant amount of code is needed to get enemies in Dark Places to behave more like a 3D version of Blood's enemies rather than like Quake enemies. Not to mention, getting the weapons to function more like they did in Blood.

What if that wasn't necessary? What if a few creative souls just took what Transfusion has got, used resources and utilities which already in Quake without needing to make new ones, and just make something fun and clever?

I propose a small singleplayer demo composed of a few small levels, maybe the levels that have already been finished, and fill them with re-skinned or re-modeled Quake enemies made to look like Blood's enemies. I'm thinking that the Grunt would be used as a base for the Cultists/Fanatics, the Knights for the Zombies, the Rotfish for the Bone Eels, and the Fiend for the Gargoyles (you just have to make the Fiends fly). Maybe to make things more interesting, you could have new enemies which re-skin the Grunts as Old West gunslingers or Mafia gangsters. If the available maps are incomplete, then I suggest making simple maps that are in the vein of Quake's level design, but with Blood's textures.

Would this approach be more feasible for a small singleplayer release?
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

BEAST wrote:It may be down, but I've been pondering an idea that might generate some interest.

The main concern is that the project has no coders, and that a significant amount of code is needed to get enemies in Dark Places to behave more like a 3D version of Blood's enemies rather than like Quake enemies. Not to mention, getting the weapons to function more like they did in Blood.

What if that wasn't necessary? What if a few creative souls just took what Transfusion has got, used resources and utilities which already in Quake without needing to make new ones, and just make something fun and clever?

I propose a small singleplayer demo composed of a few small levels, maybe the levels that have already been finished, and fill them with re-skinned or re-modeled Quake enemies made to look like Blood's enemies. I'm thinking that the Grunt would be used as a base for the Cultists/Fanatics, the Knights for the Zombies, the Rotfish for the Bone Eels, and the Fiend for the Gargoyles (you just have to make the Fiends fly). Maybe to make things more interesting, you could have new enemies which re-skin the Grunts as Old West gunslingers or Mafia gangsters. If the available maps are incomplete, then I suggest making simple maps that are in the vein of Quake's level design, but with Blood's textures.

Would this approach be more feasible for a small singleplayer release?

There would be copywright issues with this as proposed. Quake source code is certainly open sourced, but art assets, sounds, and models are still the property of there owners. Before tfn went silent, there were some blood enemy models in working condition. don't know what happened to them.
VGames
Acolyte

Post by VGames »

Why not just turn this into a mod for quake? Then a copy of quake would be required and u get to use all the custom content from transfusion.
BEAST
Zealot

Post by BEAST »

N0t_mINe wrote: There would be copywright issues with this as proposed. Quake source code is certainly open sourced, but art assets, sounds, and models are still the property of there owners. Before tfn went silent, there were some blood enemy models in working condition. don't know what happened to them.
I'm not suggesting that we use the art assets and sounds from Quake. I only thought of use Quake's models as a template for getting the enemies to work. It's a shame that the Blood enemy models for Transfusion are not readily available to public. I would've expected the models to be available with the beta releases. Perhaps the original team members that have remained know where to access them?
VGames wrote:Why not just turn this into a mod for quake? Then a copy of quake would be required and u get to use all the custom content from transfusion.
That might work. It's worth a try. Maybe we could see if something could be done this way. Thanks, VGames. :)
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

What's the status of the moding scene within the quake community? Has it dwindled further, of have they rallied around something less innocuous than a wannabe unreal 2004 clone?
BEAST
Zealot

Post by BEAST »

N0t_mINe wrote:What's the status of the moding scene within the quake community? Has it dwindled further, of have they rallied around something less innocuous than a wannabe unreal 2004 clone?
I don't know. The only mods I'm aware of are Quake Reforged, Ultra Epsilon, and Remake Quake. The only Quake community site I'm aware of that's still active in Quake One. I recommend checking it out, though their forum members can be a little rough.

I did just encounter a level for Dark Places which may be of interest to you guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqaZqz-MM6g
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

Damn, that was a beautiful sight! I want to play that map in transfusion, sigh, I just threw away my geforce fx card. Bet that map would of run great with tfn 1.01 too.

There was an ancient HL mod using robed monks that Chris was looking at before Luke tried to model them. I wonder what ever happened to it?
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

BEAST wrote:I did just encounter a level for Dark Places which may be of interest to you guys.
Not all that faithful to the original layout, but damn cool see. :)
VGames
Acolyte

Post by VGames »

If u guys can get something going with this id be willin to help out where I can while I work on my own personal projects. I've always wanted something out of transfusion in a single player mode so I'd back this. Don't know where I can help but I'm sure I could find my place. Old games are so much easier to work on with help and guidance. And since quake modding is still around there are people to ask questions to unlike Blood 2. Now I'm not promising all my time but I'd love to help.