Is this still alive?

General discussion relating to the Transfusion project.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Re: Is this still alive?

Post by N0t_mINe »

VGames wrote:If u guys can get something going with this id be willin to help out where I can while I work on my own personal projects. I've always wanted something out of transfusion in a single player mode so I'd back this. Don't know where I can help but I'm sure I could find my place. Old games are so much easier to work on with help and guidance. And since quake modding is still around there are people to ask questions to unlike Blood 2. Now I'm not promising all my time but I'd love to help.
Thank you VGames, this offer is most generous. If a single player team can be formed, I'm guessing you'd be more or less in charge, seeing as you've got the greatest skill set, not to mention experience. Maybe a list of extremely modest goals should be first priority?

btw, I'm not trying to step on toes here, I only state the above with the assumption that Willis, I LIVE...AGAIN are in semi retirement.
VGames
Acolyte

Post by VGames »

We'd definitely need all who have worked on transfusion that we can get. They will be the most important. If we can get weapons, enemies, and items done then we'd be off to a great start. Something to fill a map with. Then a mapper would be needed. If at least the first episode could be done then that would be the first objective. I'd like to go all out on textures and skins. Normal maps, specular maps the whole 9 yards. May as well push dark places to the extreme. If just the first episode could be done that would be a great start and or finish. Something to show off the great transfusion.
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

Your enthusiasm is awe inspiring!:D just some house keeping items to deal with first though.
As it stands, tfn 1.05 doesn't work with any version of dp that uses opengl 3.0 or above. tfn 1.01 is still quake compatible, so will you use either as a base? Or would you prefer to scrap them both, recycle their code, and start with a fresh version of the latest dp?
VGames
Acolyte

Post by VGames »

I'm really not sure. That's why we need the guys who worked on this before. I need their guidance and knowledge. They know the project. Let's get them on board if possible.
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

I have spammed them all sire. Here's to hoping I haven't replicated someone else's efforts.
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

BEAST wrote: I did just encounter a level for Dark Places which may be of interest to you guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqaZqz-MM6g
Wow! That map reminded me soo much of when Transfusion was Qblood. Awesome.

As far as modding, I haven't even had time to get into the Revelations levels so I doubt I could help.
Elric
Cabal member

Post by Elric »

Hi guys.

Not sure what I can do for you exactly, but since you wanted to chat a bit apparently, here am I :)

Disclaimers: I'm not very familiar with version 1.05 of Transfusion, since most of my work was on versions 1.0 and 1.01. Also, like I Live...AGAIN, I'm afraid I'll have a very limited amount of time to dedicate to whatever you choose to do.
VGames
Acolyte

Post by VGames »

Yeah I've got very limited time aswell. That's why we need more people to pick up the slack when some can't work.
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

Elric wrote:Hi guys.

Not sure what I can do for you exactly, but since you wanted to chat a bit apparently, here am I :)

Disclaimers: I'm not very familiar with version 1.05 of Transfusion, since most of my work was on versions 1.0 and 1.01. Also, like I Live...AGAIN, I'm afraid I'll have a very limited amount of time to dedicate to whatever you choose to do.
Hey Erlic! Great to see your sig and avatar again! I think we put a little too much on VGames as quakeC is a little different the the C++ he's use to. If you're open to a one time request, there's a patch from Willis floating around here that's supposed to get tfn working on opengl 3 and above video cards. getting that integrated into a new binary would be perfect for a reboot of our reboot :D
I know transfusion multi was rather hi-ping, but as a small group of bloodites, we can't settle for jumping on the same blood2 server once a year.
Now...where did that hud patch from willis get to?
VGames
Acolyte

Post by VGames »

Yeah I was thinking more about adding bump maps on my part. Actually making the textures. Does transfusion already support that since it's based on darkplaces?
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1349&p=28108#p28108

I think that's it. Let's check the links...
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

@VGames: Early 1.05 had rudimentary bumpmaps. Everything has a concrete texture for experimental purposes only. One thing that turned out to be a problem was how disagreeable 8bit textures looked with true 3d lighting. How does eduke32 deal with the original duke textures? Does it use rt lights?
Elric
Cabal member

Post by Elric »

N0t_mINe wrote:If you're open to a one time request, there's a patch from Willis floating around here that's supposed to get tfn working on opengl 3 and above video cards. getting that integrated into a new binary would be perfect for a reboot of our reboot :D
I took a look at the patch you pointed me to, but it's only updating menus and various UI elements for Transfusion (version 1.05 I suppose). No graphic code there.

That being said, you should be able to run any fairly recent version of DarkPlaces with Transfusion data. Just rename the executable "darkplaces.exe" to "transfusion.exe", or start it with option "-transfusion", so it knows you want it to run in Transfusion mode. Some UI elements and menus would need tweakings (hence Willis' patch I guess), but it should basically work. For the record, I just grabbed the latest DarkPlaces source code from its repository and ran TFn 1.05 on my Linux machine.
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

Sorry for the lack of a timely response Eric. After a recent move, my backups are a little disorganized. A few years ago I did try the renaming trick, with poor results (only the skyboxes were rendered). I'm not sure if anyone else with an opengl3 card had this issue.
VGames
Acolyte

Post by VGames »

I loaded up version 1.05 with the latest 64bit darkplaces and everything was fine after a little options menu tweaking. Game looks very rough. Singleplayer maps were there but didn't look at all done. If I get into this it's gonna require all my time that I can't give right now. We need more help.