Interested...

General discussion relating to the Transfusion project.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Cyekotik
Rat

Interested...

Post by Cyekotik »

I'm interested in learning whatever skills are needed to help this mod. If you could list for me what tools and where i can find instructions, i'll do what i can with the time i have. Thanks for keeping the game alive.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Hi Cyekotik.

Thanks for your interest.
Well, obviously we've got quite a bit to do befor Transfusion can be considered a remake of Blood.

There are basicaly 4 areas in game development. Code, Maps, Modeling and general Art. Honestly I've really only done much on the art end of things, so my experience is limited to that. But in general:

Maping requires anything that will export to a Quake1 BSP and of course our specific game media. Many of the mappers seem to prefer Hammer, but there is also WorldCraft and GTKRadiant. Bloodite, Predator, Slink... any of thoes guys could help you out with getting a hold on that.

Code... well that's pretty much QuakeC, unless you want to get into Engine level programming. Willis and LordHavoc are would be your contacts on that end of things.

Modeling, anything that can export md3. MilkShape, 3DSM, Maya, Blender etc. Kazashi would be your man there.

I know that's all just basic stuff. Let us know what you feel you can do.
Kazashi
Shadow Warrior

Post by Kazashi »

Coding: this is split into two sections. Engine-side coding is modifying the underlying engine (DarkPlaces) itself, which is written in C. The author is trying to keep it compatible with Quake, but has vastly extended its feature set. Game-side coding is done with a bastardised form of C called QuakeC, which for some reason is easier to get the hang of.

Mapping: mapping is generally similar to Quake; how the world is created, how entities are placed, the programs that can be used to do so. Resources for mapping are generally set up and readily available through the SDK, although there have been changes in some areas as the game has progressed.

Modelling: I am stil (semi-)patiently waiting for the engine to support a decent skeletal model format i.e. MD5, which will be used for most animated products such as monsters, weapons, and the player/s. In the meantime the game supports Quake3's MD3 format, which will remain the format of choice for static items (things which don't animate) such as pickups and world objects. Many programs are capable of exporting to these formats either natively or through the use of plugins, whatever one ends up using is more a matter of personal preference.

General Art; this covers what's left, such as skins for models, and textures for the world. Some of the artwork still needs to be done, but generally we use the original Blood textures to good effect. There are tentative projects to recreate the textures in higher detail with such fancy extras as normalmapping and gloss, but so far nobody has really stuck around to do anything like that.

Those are the main areas of the project, there are probably plenty of other little facets or contributions which can be made. Nothing that immediately jumps out at me right now though.
Cyekotik
Rat

Thanks

Post by Cyekotik »

Thank you very much for your replies. I'm not too great at programming but am very eager to learn C sometime soon. For mapping, I've never really gotten the hang of it. For art though...I use photoshop religiously, so if theres anything I could help with I'd be happy to. Also, I have pretty much all of the original sounds ripped from the game if theres a need for them, or I can rip the ones I don't currently have.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Art eigh? :D Have you by chance done any skinning? We have qite a few world models that need attention. Also, do you have any example of your work that you'd care to share?
Cyekotik
Rat

Post by Cyekotik »

I haven't tried skinning yet, but I'm sure i could learn quickly. And heres a link to some of the art I have on the net. http://photobucket.com/albums/v209/cyekotik/
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Well, by all means, if you wish to try your hand at it, feel free. Your abstracts look very good.

You may need an MD3 viewer if you don't already have one.

Personaly I like to use the Java md3 viewer.
It's interface is fairly easy to get use to and it's quick. The only problem with this package is that it requires Java 1.3 installed on your computer. They have links to the instalation files there. As a note though, you don't actualy have to have Java 1.3 set as your default Java client. You just have to have the md3view.jar in the 1.3/bin directory, from wich you can run the program via .bat file (also in the 1.3/bin directory) with the line "java -jar md3view.jar"

However, you may do better with milkshape or LithUnwraper. Or even a full blown 3D Modeling package.

Most of our current md3 files can be found in the Beta3 basetf/models.pk3 file. There are some fully/partialy skined models there, as well as skins that are just grey UV maps.

Currently we'd like to finish up the e1m1 world models pak. The list of skined and unskined models can be found on our todo page.

Let me know if you need anything more beyond that.
Cyekotik
Rat

Post by Cyekotik »

Thanks, I'll see what I can do.