Plans for an Article on Transfusion

General discussion relating to the Transfusion project.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Re: Plans for an Article on Transfusion

Post by Tchernobog »

Elric wrote:The Blood wiki is pretty explicit about that, and it's accurate as far as I know. From what I understood, Chris thought he was the only remaining person in the room and so he shut the door behind him as he was leaving. And he was right: no one has worked on Transfusion since then I think. But the problem with closing the website was of course that it was also closing the forums, the only part of it that was still active. So, Willis put things back into place the next day.
That should be accurate - we were there at the time. :(
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

Sorry for the delay :D

I was finally able to answer many of your questions in the PM. I would rather not post them here as many of my answers are just my opinion and not necessarily of the team in general.

I would like to clarify that Chris took the end of TF pretty personally. He for some reason thought he had failed the community in some way because work had stopped when in reality, he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. He was one of the most dedicated members we ever had on the team.

Elric:
Thanks for answering for me, I think you were a better candidate than I for many of the questions anyway.
BEAST
Zealot

Post by BEAST »

Forgive me for taking so long to respond.

I just have this to say... I LOVE YOU BOTH, ELRIC AND I LIVE...AGAIN!!!

Thank you very much for helping me out. You cleared up a lot of things for me about the project. Once I get a functional draft of my article going, I'll send a copy to both of you, and Tchernobog too, just to make sure my article is accurate. I did write something down, but I need to incorporate your answers in to fix some errors I made.

On another note, what would you recommend that would teach everything about how Quake C works, how to write programs with it? I think I may want to learn a bit of Quake C while I'm what what I'm at.

Thank you, zealot lords with your blue robes and tesla cannons.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

BEAST wrote:Thank you, zealot lords with your blue robes and tesla cannons.
Yeah, I think I need to go and get my tesla cannon in for a tune up, it is getting a little rusty. And I definitely think I need to get my robes in for a wash - they are starting to get cultist brown. :P

As for the article, I will see what I can do, but much like you I am just a much later historian. So my vision on such things is limited, but it should be worth a read.
BEAST
Zealot

Post by BEAST »

It's been some time. Here's an update: I've rewritten my article with a more involving first person narrative, but I need some time to edit it, as well as figure out what word count I should conform my article to. Also, I need to work on my query letters to the two magazines I want to submit to: either PC GAMER or WIRED. When I'm done editing, I'll PM the article to you helpful guys, if that's alright with you. I'll give you a heads up on what I'll do next. I'm currently trying to recover from sickness, spring allergies, and ongoing nightmares of monotonous routine and nothingness.... I'll get to work!
BEAST
Zealot

Post by BEAST »

I screwed up. I've taken too long, and I still don't know if my article is good enough.

Here's the situation. The article is finished, though it is in dire need of peer review. I wanted to send the article to the few members I know, but there isn't an attach function anywhere. I wrote the article first in LotusPro, which nobody has, but I find it more user friendly than Microsoft Word. I had copied and pasted the document to Microsoft Word, but because that program is so infuriatingly screwy, my indentations and paces have been messed up. Even if I could remedy it, I can't find a way to attach that file in the PMs to the people who I want to check it out. Regrettably, I did copy and past the article onto a PM email to I Live... Again, and because it's unreadable and imperfect in that form, I haven't got a response from him. I want Tchernobog and Elric to check it out, but since I can't do an attach function in PM, and also because I included some quotes from I Live... Again from his PM, I'm stuck. I need to know if what I used from I Live... Again meets his approval before I show it to others to peer review, and I need to be able to send the article to my peer reviewers in a format which they can read. I also have long quotes, which may be very problematic for my readers.

What should I do now?

P.S. By the way, I got a B+ in my non-fiction writing class. Portfolio assemblage was the problem. Fellow classmates were compelled by my Transfusion article, even though none of them were computer game fans. At least I know that I'm on the right track, even though it doesn't have smooth reading quality of The Masters of Doom or that DNF article WIRED had awhile ago.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

People still use Lotus? To each their own, I guess. :wink:

You could just try uploading it to some file sharing service, since there is no attachment function.
BEAST
Zealot

Post by BEAST »

How about you just send me your email addresses in PM, that way I can attach the file directly to you, without it getting mucked up by strangers?

I won't abuse your email addresses. I just need them for direct peer review. I must spread the word of Transfusion soon! Get paid for it by publishers! And perhaps enlist potential programmers as a result of my article! ..... I hope!

P.S. I was late.... AGAIN! Even though this was a simple request, but then being home alone, and tending the home by one's own gets distracting.
BEAST
Zealot

Post by BEAST »

About time I updated again.

Thanks to the wise guidance and help from Tchernobog, my article may be ready to go. Thanks to all who helped me out: most especially Tchernobog, I Live... AGAIN!, and Elric. The question now is where I should submit it to: PC Gamer or WIRED.

I may have to look back upon the AP citation format to get my quotes formatted right, but generally, my current article is in great shape. Again, thanks again Tchernobog for the final touches. Now, I got to see if I can submit it in time while juggling my upcoming masters thesis proposal. :D
dosgamer000
Acolyte

Post by dosgamer000 »

BEAST wrote:About time I updated again.

Thanks to the wise guidance and help from Tchernobog, my article may be ready to go. Thanks to all who helped me out: most especially Tchernobog, I Live... AGAIN!, and Elric. The question now is where I should submit it to: PC Gamer or WIRED.

I may have to look back upon the AP citation format to get my quotes formatted right, but generally, my current article is in great shape. Again, thanks again Tchernobog for the final touches. Now, I got to see if I can submit it in time while juggling my upcoming masters thesis proposal. :D
That's good to hear! :) I'm no journalism expert but just as a shot in the dark I'd pick PC Gamer, if only because IIRC they did some stuff for Blood and other DOS FPS. But tbh you're probably better off getting a suggestion from someone who frequently reads gaming articles. Still, best wishes to you.
pat35249
Rat

Post by pat35249 »

Yeah,the Blood wiki is pretty explicit about that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Casesam
Samsung Galaxy Xcover 3 cover
Last edited by pat35249 on Mon Jun 01, 2015 07:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

pat35249 wrote:Yeah,the Blood wiki is pretty explicit about that.
It has been a while since I was familiar with this topic, so I hope you will forgive my asking what it is that we are supposed to be pretty explicit about?
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

Bot detector says bots are gaining in sophistication.