Jace head of Transfusion?

General discussion relating to the Transfusion project.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Should Jace Hall be drafted as Lead Developer of Transfusion?

Yes, Jace Hall should be drafted as Transfusion's lead developer for a year with more time if he should request it from the remaining devs.
60%
No, everything is just fine the way it is. Let Jace get the License he desires instead of imposing one.
40%

Total votes: 5
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Jace head of Transfusion?

Post by N0t_mINe »

Transfusion, for those who didn't know, has a quit-claim license to use Blood's art assets and game resources. Jace Hall has been trying to get his own license from Atari. This poll was made to test the field for another option, Providing Jace with the power's granted in Transfusion's License.

Okay, if I haven't gotten in trouble yet, this should do it. Please note that this is an opinion poll so if you vote that vote doesn't have any actual weight with how Transfusion is run and by whom. I'm crossing my fingers that willis/ other devs don't mind.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Re: Jace head of Transfusion?

Post by Tchernobog »

I am abstaining from this one. Do not really know if it contributes much.
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

Still debating weather I'll vote or not.
da_weezle
Acolyte

Post by da_weezle »

Seems like Jace has a vision that extends beyond the scope of TFn, so I doubt he would take it.

Atari might even change their minds about the TFn agreement if the product ends up being too close to the original. From what I understand, they agreed the building of a Blood clone on an entirely different engine, with no original code involved. If they won't even allow us to use the word "Blood" in any way, what makes you think they'd ever give a go-ahead to a port from the original game? I mean, if they're going to go along with that, they might as well give it to Jace directly.
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

Awww hell, in for a dime, in for a dollar as they say. So I voted. Hurray for me.

da_weezel:
Seems like Jace has a vision that extends beyond the scope of TFn, so I doubt he would take it.
Drafting him wouldn't consider his wishes. We can't force him to do anything, but on principle he wouldn't be able to claim Atari was in the way. Remember Jace said in his last post that Atari was the holdup. If he has the quit-claim, he can't say that anymore. For all we know Jace already has permission from Atari, there have been hints in that direction. He hasn't said either way so think of this as a back up plan.

da_weezel:
Atari might even change their minds about the TFn agreement if the product ends up being too close to the original. From what I understand, they agreed the building of a Blood clone on an entirely different engine, with no original code involved.
Transfusion wasn't even a darkplaces port at that time. They were still playing with the idea of switching to quake2, So no engine commitments had been made when the license was granted. No engine was forbidden in the agreement with Atari. They couldn't use the source code because Atari couldn't give it to them, it was owned by Warner Bros. (Monolith at that time). The Blood Trademark was also Monolith's. It has since expired unless somebody else has purchased it.
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

Your post should just ask a simple yes or no.......... it's obvious that you try to impose your opinion with both answers.

Like da_weezle mentioned. Transfusion is nothing about what he claims to want to do anyway.
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

Bumped in light of the recent news regarding Atari's refusal to grant Jace a license.

As to ILA's point about bias, it's true that I'm bias. I see no useful gain in pretending otherwise. Being bias doesn't make me right of course, it just proves I have opinions on this issue.
Still it would look a little classier if I worded the second choice a little differently. I can't edit the original poll for obvious reasons so lets pretend the second choice leaves out the bit about everything being just fine the way it is. The poll would then look something like this:

Should Jace Hall be drafted as Lead Developer of Transfusion?

1.Yes, Jace Hall should be drafted as Transfusion's lead developer for a year with more time if he should request it from the remaining devs.

2. No, let Jace get the License he desires instead of imposing one that might not meet his projects requirements.

It isn't fair of me to expect voting after the conditions have changed. Besides, those who were going to vote have probably already done so. As I see it, Jace's offer was way too generous to simply not even try to reach out to him. That may have been the best and last chance the community ever gets to have a stable, easily modifiable form of multiplayer Blood. So, knowing full well there would be no replies to this bump, I feel I had to say something. The TFN license has to be about serving the fans of Blood, otherwise it is a pointless, worse than usless document.

-Z
Elric
Cabal member

Post by Elric »

I guess Jason Hall would be welcome to join the project if he would like to. But don't you think he would have told us so if it was the case?
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

Greetings Erlic. It is always good to hear from you. :)
Elric wrote:I guess Jason Hall would be welcome to join the project if he would like to. But don't you think he would have told us so if it was the case?
It sounds like my original post was too vague by the looks of it, here's a little background. I was talking with a few well known friends around these parts about Jason Hall's closed source Blood project. Everyone knew the coming bottleneck would involve things on atari's end of things, so giving Jace a way out it would certainly be a generous way for the community to respond to his generosity. If Transfusion fans/devs "conscripted" (drafted) JH into the lead dev position for TFN, It would mean (hopefully) his project would be clear as far as the blood resources were concerned. It was his email that helped start the conversation that led to the quit claim to begin with after all. Conscripting JH would have been a purely symbolic move to say the least as Jace can't be forced to do anything. If he was intent on keeping the source closed, the quit claim might be useless, but then again, if Jace was open to changing the terms of his project, Atari would be out of the way.

EDIT
too many ands, sort ofs, it's, and somes.

EDIT2 slighty more readable