Unity3d

General discussion relating to the Transfusion project.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Mangopork
Rat

Unity3d

Post by Mangopork »

I know... you guys aren't fans of new engine discussions around here. (I've been off/on this site since it spawned. Holy lord. Quite a while ago..yet only yesterday).

But there's this little thing called Unity3d....which is multiplatform and free. For mac/pc (and soon linux)...free.
You can prototype quickly.. People have made fps games in mere days with this. DAYS. Using javascript or C#. <3

Drag & Drop art importing <3

The world has changed quite a bit and there are a lot more resources available now that could be tapped.

Alternately: has anyone considered outsourcing?

Anyways. <3 blood either way. You guys have done a great job thus far.
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Re: Unity3d

Post by N0t_mINe »

Actually the xenoblood's (blood without a quitclaim license) are treated much better these days. Jace Hall is trying to put a legal port together using the source. So there's a lot going on right know behind the scenes with other projects. Transfusion hasn't been worked on the past few years and with out a a full team that doesn't look like it's going to change in the near future.
da_weezle
Acolyte

Post by da_weezle »

From the Unity website:
"The free full version of Unity is available for Windows or Mac OS X."

So that's basically a no-go.

This Unity product feels very legacy-heavy, but that's just from my first impression off their website.

Coding in something other than QuakeC would be a relief to be sure, though. I think the main reason we have no coders (which has been one of the main shortages in terms of contributors) is the whole QuakeC thing. No one knows it (anymore), or wants to do it. On the other hand, there are some usable engines out there where we'd be writing native code and I like the idea of that much better.
N0t_mINe
Acolyte

Post by N0t_mINe »

da_weezle
Acolyte

Post by da_weezle »

I think Blender is great for modeling, but I would never make a complete game in it. The main reason being the heavy platform dependence you introduce with it.

Also I think "coding" with this draggy/droppy UI is quickly going to turn to hell.
Mangopork
Rat

Post by Mangopork »

Excellent responses guys. Better than I expected.

Glad (Very glad) to see Jace has shown renewed interest.

Why would the fact that unity runs on windows AND mac be a no-go?

I'm utterly suprised you haven't even tried using it. Over 1 million devs and every imaginable genre has been successfully tackled with it.

Due respect, better to see examples of what has been done with it and base judgements on that rather than be picky.

Could you elaborate on what Jace is doing with the legal end of things? Are any projects other than transfusion illegal or has/will this change?

If it opens up more then this could be a good thing.

Also Blood is being sold on GOG.com now. Works great.

P.S. Blender is fine as a game engine. It just uses python. It's called blender for a reason: It does all.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Mangopork wrote:Why would the fact that unity runs on windows AND mac be a no-go?
Actually, it runs on way more than that - it also now works on Linux and it also runs on mobile platforms, not that the latter is terribly interesting to us.