Hypertension (TFN Mod)

General discussion relating to the Transfusion project.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Corbin
Zealot

Hypertension (TFN Mod)

Post by Corbin »

Just going to keep this short - I will be working on a mini-mod for Transfusion that inherits some maps, models, and gameplay from Hypertension while it was alive. The base goal for this project is to convert some maps we had from the former mod, along with the weapon models we used (which were modified from Transfusion's) - and tweak some of the code to match old HT for a solid addition to Transfusion itself.

To summarize the legal sitaution - it's clear for takeoff as this project is now a Transfusion mod, therefore falling directly under Transfusion and its license. While you can expect this mod to retain some of the elements that made Hyper unique, it will not carry much from the former project. For now, it will be a simple DM addon until I find more time away from current priorities to dig into SP stuff.

I plan on converting a few weapon models (entirely new weapons in some cases), a few memorable HT maps with a friend, and code tweak to match old HT physics/gameplay. Expect some more details and screenshots in the coming weeks as I get things organized. ;)
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Re: Hypertension (TFN Mod)

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

Cool, look forward to seeing what you got.
Corbin
Zealot

Post by Corbin »

I need to know if I'm working with the latest Transfusion sources or if they're outdated. I just grabbed what I could from the repo. Do I compile Hyper seperately or use a switch in Transfusion's executable to point to the directory?

Also, has anyone tested out single-player, even if it is a little undercooked?
RedDaemonfox
Axe Zombie

Post by RedDaemonfox »

Are you still working on the project, Corbin? It really is a shame you abandoned Hypertension, I was looking forward to seeing some nice fan storyline.
Corbin
Zealot

Post by Corbin »

Eh, I wouldn't go nearly as far as saying abandoned, there was a very good reason I did what I did, though I am not at liberty to discuss it.

Trust me, Hyper was like a child I was forced to give away.

I haven't had time lately to poke around with the Tfn version lately, hopefully during the summertime I'll be able to squeeze some work into it.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

So you are still checking in here from time to time are you Corbin?
Corbin
Zealot

Post by Corbin »

Yeah, when I can. Haven't forgotten.
RedDaemonfox
Axe Zombie

Post by RedDaemonfox »

Well Corbin, its good to hear you haven't abandoned it. And I feel for your loss, it must've been a lot of hardwork and not a light decision, but I'll check in with TDG for updates on Scourge once in a while. Who knows, maybe one day one of us will be able to buy the rights to Blood off of Warner and Atari. Thats my intention, if I ever have the money, and what I would do was give a modified GPL for uses like Hypertension. Copyright, in a general sense, needs a makeover. But, enough OT I guess...

I will say, however, that Transfusion is pretty fun, I've made it a regular with my friends, and its a hit. Long live Blood.
Corbin
Zealot

Post by Corbin »

Thanks...yeah, it wasn't a light decision and it was a lot of work over the course of its development. I try to concentrate on the highs instead of the (multiple) lows, mostly concerning external, non-development related things. There were almost never any development lows, which made working on it rather rewarding and fun. Fiend and myself had a great dynamic that was worn down by less than enthusiastic people. Our fanbase was, and still is, very supportive and the people who did get to play it enjoyed it as much as I ever did working on it.

When we started Scourge, a lot changed internally, and we tried taking Hypertension with us but it wasn't allowed, licensing would've costed more and they felt the return wouldn't have been worth it. Instead of continuing and replacing the assets - something that a lot of people wanted - we took the time and researched technology, found id tech 2, and redesigned Hypertension (SCOURGE now). About 4 times I think in the last year, the current iteration was the one that was (finally) approved by everyone, so we moved towards that.

They just acquired our domain and host after Godaddy removed our data, wiping all the forums and SVN copies we had since we started doing this thing (though I still have the master), which was pretty distressing to say the least. So it's like we're starting fresh, and the whole 'selling out thing' with the fans finally faded away. Now that we're getting accustomed to id Tech 2, I might be able to throw a map or something Transfusion's way.
RedDaemonfox wrote:Who knows, maybe one day one of us will be able to buy the rights to Blood off of Warner and Atari. Thats my intention, if I ever have the money, and what I would do was give a modified GPL for uses like Hypertension.
If you ever bought the rights, I would immediately finish what little we had left to do on Hypertension and release it. We were *very* close, as it were.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Assuming you still intend to support Linux with it, I can send no end of good community will your way. I have some connections. ;)
Corbin
Zealot

Post by Corbin »

Always have and always will support Linux :)
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Good to know. When you have something more to show off I will be sure to notify some of my friends in the Linux gaming press.

Just keep us posted.