The End of the Game

General discussion relating to the Transfusion project.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Elric
Cabal member

The End of the Game

Post by Elric »

My question is pretty simple: should we end development of the Transfusion game? (I'm not talking about the Transfusion Project; the forums are a good thing, and the websites should stay; I'm just talking about the actual piece of software called Transfusion).

My point is, we won't develop it beyond what it is now, at least not significantly. I am the only coder on the project, and I haven't coded a single line for it in months. Even the tireless Luke "Kazashi" Ashdown (our only modeler) seems tired! The other members aren't more active, and most of them are probably busy enjoying other games, working on other hobbies or simply living their real life. Nobody can possibly blame them for that, of course, but I think the Transfusion game deserves a better ending than this slow decay.

So, I think we should do a final release as soon as possible. We shouldn't care about features, we should only care about bugs. We haven't been able to add any interesting features in the past months so there's no reason to believe we will have anything new before the final release. In other words: forget about crouching! Even more: forget about single player, we will never have it. It's very sad I agree, but it's better to face reality than to ignore it.

By bugs, I actually mean all that can bother a player during a game, including visual bugs, missing textures, unfinished stuff in general. In that regard, I think it's better to remove a feature than to let it half-finished, hence the SP removal, again.

Maybe people will get interested later by doing a Transfusion 2 as a mod for Quake IV for instance, or a brand new game using Neither (LordHavoc's next engine - in development). But until then, let's turn this page cleanly. This game, and its players, deserves it in my opinion.
oBe
Cabal member

Post by oBe »

Now, I'm crying...
Willis

Master of the Mask
Lead Programmer

Post by Willis »

I do not think we should let it die.

This is the last bastion of Blood. If we let it die, we are letting Blood die unless by some miracle, someone of the likes of Jason Hall emits a magical light.

I've said before I want to learn to code for the game... and I know I need to take action on that. I was actually going to send you (Elric) an email last night about it but ran short on time.

I would like to get together with you sometime so we can talk about some programming related subjects.

And lets not let this be a failed transfusion. It was meant to give life! Even if to the undead.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Didn't we have this discussion last year? :?

I'm not going to stop skinning for the game so long as there are models that still need skinning.

We have to remember that this isn't a full scale game production house. Things get slow at times. Asking if we should start calling things quits right after the holidays because things seem a little slow is a bit premature. Of course things are going to be slow.

I've been thinking about our production model and I've wondered how things would work with a Wiki type setup. I'm inclined to think that a lot of people who might want to contribute to the project are scared off because they may feel that things are a little exclusive with the current developer standing a few of us have. I realize that things need a little moderation, but I rather like the old-old way of doing things where people would show up, say "hey I can do that" and then add to the mod.

A Wiki type setup would organize things for us and allow anyone who has signed up for a login the ability to contribute. I imagine that we could have it setup so that any contributed work would have to be voted on to make it into the alpha/beta/final versions to ensure quality of work. Top contributors in their media (programming/maps/models/artwork) would be given a little clout in how things would progress, extra voting power, the ability to define where they feel the project should go, etc. But agian, any one would have the ability to contribute whatever they like. Other than that it'd be able to pretty much run itself.
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

Now now, lads! Listen to Willis! He speaks truth!

We've all been busy. It's a new year.

This thread begins to break my heart. Shall we suffer the same fate as Bloodlines TC? The slow decay of the flesh always seems to take its toll on the Blood fanbase.

A bit off topic, but what we really need is a banner to call all Bloodites. We are scattered, gentlemen, over the Official Blood site, Planetblood, Transfusion and of course, the humble Postmortem.

Oh, but what am I? I am a lost level designer for a game thats time has passed. Caleb came back from the dead to fight. Why can't Blood?

Gila, Predator, get a word in here, guys!
)))000(((
Cultist

Re: The End of the Game

Post by )))000((( »

Elric wrote:My question is pretty simple: should we end development of the Transfusion game? (I'm not talking about the Transfusion Project; the forums are a good thing, and the websites should stay; I'm just talking about the actual piece of software called Transfusion).

My point is, we won't develop it beyond what it is now, at least not significantly. I am the only coder on the project, and I haven't coded a single line for it in months. Even the tireless Luke "Kazashi" Ashdown (our only modeler) seems tired! The other members aren't more active, and most of them are probably busy enjoying other games, working on other hobbies or simply living their real life. Nobody can possibly blame them for that, of course, but I think the Transfusion game deserves a better ending than this slow decay.

So, I think we should do a final release as soon as possible. We shouldn't care about features, we should only care about bugs. We haven't been able to add any interesting features in the past months so there's no reason to believe we will have anything new before the final release. In other words: forget about crouching! Even more: forget about single player, we will never have it. It's very sad I agree, but it's better to face reality than to ignore it.

By bugs, I actually mean all that can bother a player during a game, including visual bugs, missing textures, unfinished stuff in general. In that regard, I think it's better to remove a feature than to let it half-finished, hence the SP removal, again.

Maybe people will get interested later by doing a Transfusion 2 as a mod for Quake IV for instance, or a brand new game using Neither (LordHavoc's next engine - in development). But until then, let's turn this page cleanly. This game, and its players, deserves it in my opinion.
Giving Up? Giving up??!!!!!! WHat are you tattally out of ye mind!!! I lov' this game, and I... *sob*
psychosomatic
Rat

You would give in, white warrior?

Post by psychosomatic »

Please not. don't make the years of lurking worth little.

Post by Guest »

I aint giving it up until all the maps are done or a major life tragedy happens.
Bloodite
Cultist

Post by Bloodite »

^ me. Damned logins! :lol:
Elric
Cabal member

Post by Elric »

As Cruaich pointed out, we already had this discussion last year. I just thought the corpse was rotten enough this time, but apparently not... :P Anyway, I'm not going to fight on that again. I suppose if you all think I'm wrong, I probably am.

All I can say now is good luck for the project and good bye. Since the project is OK, I guess I can leave without any regret now. :wink:
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

Until there are people who want to move on we should continue our crusade.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

We'd be sorry to see you go Elric :( But you know you're always welcome back, the door is always open. Stop in and say "Hi" (Psst, ÐÐ, brush up on your French and get the squad ready.)
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

Oui oui.

Are we being invaded?
RottKing
Axe Zombie

Post by RottKing »

Oh noes :( :( :( If I had any talent I'd help you guys in a second, but since I suck at everything... We need to Storm Jason's house "persuade" him to work for us.
Number II
Fanatic

Post by Number II »

Does The Voice know about his initiates' neverdying enthusiasm of Blood?