Reviving Transfusion...somehow..

General discussion relating to the Transfusion project.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Liberation
Axe Zombie

Post by Liberation »

Ive never looked into it, I will have a look now thou.
Liberation
Axe Zombie

Post by Liberation »

Ok i can get my head around most of Quakes ClientSide ( which i take it you mean client.qc) but im struggling with nexuiz's code ( which is stored in view.qc i think) .

Personnally I think im not good enough yet to tackle net code, but it depends on what you want doing with client.qc.

I can add text intermissions, change camera views, player loadouts and a few other things so far with client.qc, i would like to make a menu system as well at some point, it would help if I new what exactly you were wanting.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

This could be related to the menus if you want to look into it; I know our HUD got messed up in the latest DarkPlaces beta. It might be a problem in the future. That might be a good place to start if you feel comfortable with it.
Corbin
Zealot

Post by Corbin »

Yo Liberation! Nice to see you here outside of our EDGE hangout man ;)

I myself have looked into QuakeC, it's not complicated, but it's not easy either. If I can find the time I'll also look it up. Lib, any tutorials that got you started with it?
Liberation
Axe Zombie

Post by Liberation »

Im using the 1.5 beta 2 from the main site, is this the right version?? since it has its own .exe. But anyway I would be happy to have a look.

Hi Corbin, you can try this for a start..

http://www.angelfire.com/ult/td/tuts.html#startmod

Im not finding it to bad for the most part, you just got to play around but i realise why some people think its messy, ive seen some odd stuff :lol:
zZaRDoZz
Acolyte

Post by zZaRDoZz »

:D

Zardoz...

...is happy.
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

Liberation speaks wisdom. :D

We have talked about this in the past but not enough IMO. Transfusion needs to narrow it's short-term goals to survive like Liberation suggests.

1)Make a short (3 or 4 level) singleplayer demo that works. Nice and tight, with as little bugs as possible. Let people play with it and get excited about TF. If nothing else, it will draw attention and maybe some more help.

2)Better netcode is a must. In it's current state, TF is a multiplayer-only game with netcode that is an abomination by today's standards. This mix equals no one playing it. Vanilla Bloodbath and CTF are a must but they must work smoothly.

3)Focus on goals 1 and 2 and see what happens. Transfusion has gotten where it is one baby-step at a time, somewhere along the way we decided to put the cart before the horse and bit off more than anyone could chew.

4)Ignore Kurt Fuhr (this could be considered the most important step) He wants nothing more than for everyone to pay attention to him.
Corbin
Zealot

Post by Corbin »

Anyways! Back on Topic.

So yeah Joe - those are pretty good options. Has anything been done on the SP part for Transfusion in the past? I recall seeing a few screens here and there a long time ago but I wasn't sure if they were mockups or not.

BTW, QuakeC is gravy. 8)
Fiend:Kamikaze
A LUMBERJACK!

Post by Fiend:Kamikaze »

Apart from SP levels, an earlier beta had some unfinished monster models in it iirc. Hellhound and Cultist, also a render of the gargoyle.
zZaRDoZz
Acolyte

Post by zZaRDoZz »

BON:
I also realize that the original Quake is very similar to Blood in terms of the gameplay and I thought the idea of converting it to the Quake engine was actually a very fitting idea...after I seen the comparisons of the gameplays here and here...
ILA:
1)Make a short (3 or 4 level) singleplayer demo that works. Nice and tight, with as little bugs as possible. Let people play with it and get excited about TF. If nothing else, it will draw attention and maybe some more help.

Yes, a good start, we need to build on this though. "Caleb does quake"- How does something like that sound? For a first step as Joe put it, the intitial release might be quake style maps, i.e. another dimension/ surreal kind of thing. These would not be places per se. Lots of blocky, vertically inclined maps, each with an average of 3 levels stacked. It would use blood weapons, character, and to the extent it could be done, physics.
If you were to use quake AI and textures, it would be a mod for quake requiring the retail exe. If you used b2 and b1 textures along with ai from other quake mods, you could make it a stand alone game.
Corbin
Zealot

Post by Corbin »

That's good. I would also emphasize the "Quake engine" part of all that, because Quake is more popular than Blood.

Has there been any thought about switching out Darkplaces? Or is that pretty much the de facto when it comes to Quake derivatives?

Finally, I think it should be rebuilt as a Quake mod first, then work the way up the ladder. Doing that will give everyone a better understanding of how Single-player works with both the engine and the game. Like Z said, we'll be able to use the already existing AI routines and build upon them as time goes on, eventually branching away from the Quake codebase.

I know a bit about bot behavior if it's any condolence (used to be a fanatic about the TMBot and Cujo bot back in the days).

Just throwing stuff out there.

EDIT: What happened to switching to Quake 2?
zZaRDoZz
Acolyte

Post by zZaRDoZz »

I'm not sure which release of TFn was last before the break with quake compatibility. beta.99 or so maybe. Remember what get's lost with darkplaces though. It isn't just about graphics improvements either. There's a huge amount of committed code, swinging doors, crouching etc. Not to mention dp's limitation removals.

corbin:
EDIT: What happened to switching to Quake 2?
Q2 evolved landed in a bunch of hot water as I recall. Quake 3 was made open source. :)....stuff. They did try q2 map format- it didn't pan out.
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

Engine switching was always a heated topic if you look through the archives, it wasn't always a welcome discussion either.

Darkplaces is more than capable of handling the singleplayer game. I dont think going backwards to being a quake mod is the right idea because TF has gone far beyond that already.

I'm not an authority on how Darkplaces has evolved in regards to network code or if LordHavoc has made any improvements in recent months so maybe someone else can provide that info.

The biggest obstacle TF has to overcome is coding. We have had several wonderfully talented coders in the past and present, but a combination of real life and the daunting task of this project has made it hard for them. Willis has posted recently about having some time coming up in a few months which was awesome news.

Post by Guest »

Fiend:Kamikaze wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Why would Kurt post on the this forum and attract as many people as he did to Transfusion if he wanted Transfusion to fail?
And now he's gone for stupidest thing ever from a carbon-based life-form. Be proud, sir, be proud. Good job taking the title away from turkeys. In rainstorms they would hold their heads up with their mouths open until they drowned. I hope your mother packed you an umbrella.
viewtopic.php?t=1124

105593 views. 63 pages. 939 replies.

This remains the most viewed thread on the Transfusion forum. A lot of people visited Transfusion while Kurt was posting here but you would prefer to deny it and attack him instead.

I can now clearly seen the future of Transfusion, and the Hypertension team will attack anyone that disagrees with them. ILA will randomly insult people and no one is permitted to defend anything.

Perhaps you should try to keep things on topic instead of insulting people.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

A little pruning done there. Again, please stay on topic, and be a little patient. I'll get around to cleaning up the banter as it's posted. It just makes a little more work for me when you guys actually respond to it.

Just a few words on an engine switch. I don't think that this is really a good idea. We really need a stable base to begin build things on, and DarkPlaces is about as robust and capable as they come.