Darkplaces mapping - where to begin?

General discussion relating to the Transfusion project.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Morkulv
Rat

Darkplaces mapping - where to begin?

Post by Morkulv »

Hello,

I recently downloaded Darkplaces, and I put the Quake 1 pak-files in the id1 folder and everything works just dandy. However, I would really like to map for the Darkplaces-engine but I can´t seem to find where I should begin. I have experience in Worldcraft/Hammer but I´ve heard that its outdated.

I also heard that GTKradiant is a good editor for Darkplaces, but I don´t know how to use that program or how to set it up. Can anyone help me with this? I would be most thankfull.

Greetings,
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Ugh, I'll have to get back to you on this one... :-/
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Slink is one of our mappers, so hopefully he can cobble something better together for you, but you could look into GTKRadiant's wikibook:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/GtkRadiant

If you don't have it already, you can download an MSI installer for Windows here:

http://zerowing.idsoftware.com/files/radiant/

Hope that helps
Morkulv
Rat

Post by Morkulv »

I´d like to give GtkRadiant a shot, if there are some good tutorials available.

However, does anyone know how to set it up for Darkplaces?

Thanks to the both of you for your quick replies.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

You might also try NetRadiant: http://dev.alientrap.org/wiki/7

Post by Guest »

Sounds good, I´m downloading it right now!
Morkulv
Rat

Post by Morkulv »

Ugh... On second thought, I think I´m gonna delete it again. Its too different from GtkRadiant since tutorials for GtkRadiant don´t apply to it at all, and tutorials for NetRadiant don´t are very rare. I´m just gonna try regular GtkRadiant instead.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

:) GTKradiant works well for Darkplaces & Transfusion level editing, but I never got very familiar with it. It's probably the best editor to use to for DP/TFn, but I always used VHE (Valve Hammer Editor) because I am VERY familiar with it. Everyone seems to think that GTKr is a much better editor than VHE is, and they seem to be correct.

:!: It is best for you to follow some tutorials, and then just play around and learn things one by one. Keystrokes and hotkeys are very good to know/use, so I strongly recommend making use of these as you learn.

:?: To set up GTKr for Darkplaces, all you really need to do is add the wads and then an entity file. Predator made a nice little tutorial for setting up GTKr for Transfusion editing. Anybody know where that tut is?
Thanks

-Slink ;)