How to put Transfusion on the map...

General discussion relating to the Transfusion project.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

DemonPostalWrkr
Cultist

How to put Transfusion on the map...

Post by DemonPostalWrkr »

I was thinking, we should come up with a new gameplay mode. But stick Transfusions graphics, etc. If it was sucessful enough, people would probably start playing it enough and maybe someone would make a Blood 3? It would have to be a very good mod though, I dont have any ideas either..
Kazashi
Shadow Warrior

Post by Kazashi »

A couple of us have had ideas for different mods for the game, however the game needs to be worked on first before I can think of trying out my idea, and the others their ideas.
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

Exactly.

But you know, two deathmatch modes seem to be pretty obvious:

1) Cabal vs Chosen - players in one team play as Calebs and the guys in the other team play as the Cabal members - cultists that is. Of course I mean robed cultists from Blood. Cultists would have their cool taunts and player classes would be present (like each cultist color is a different class, with different weapons, speed, health and such).

2) Tchernobog hunt - all players start as Calebs and the host starts as Tchernobog. Only Tchernobog may score. The player who kills Tchernobog assumes this character and the former Tchernobog becomes Caleb. Tchernobog would have his taunts, like "Bow down to me!", and his weapons (spells). :D
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

That sounds really fun, Predator !

Should we all really be thinking about mods yet ? :wink:
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

No. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------
It is always good to have inspiration though, ...
And motivation.
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

It will take some time until TF is more or less finished. :cry:

But we can still throw some ideas here. :D

Like some kind of a mixture of UT's assault and infiltration from Soldier of Fortune 2 - the Cabal are defending their stronghold, let it be a castle or a base, and the chosen must conquer/infiltrate it and kill the Cabal leader (could be Tchernobog). Cool team mode. :lol:
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

*Slink shudders*
It is like Half-Life Teamfortress all over again... ;)
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

Or rat soccer!

Each player is a rat and there's a giant zombie head (in comparison to the rats) on the map. Two goals on either side of the map/field

Blue vs Red rats!!!! Whooooooop!!!

Now that's signature material :D
(;,;)

nigtmare soccer

Post by (;,;) »

Daedalus wrote:Or rat soccer!

Each player is a rat and there's a giant zombie head (in comparison to the rats) on the map. Two goals on either side of the map/field

there are yet more nightmarish ideas. as is generally known in quake and dark place engine - post mortem players examine circumferential the eyes of dead head. there is modification for quake where the commands of headhunters. torn off head can not respawn, but at pressure of attack simply bites. in a game BLOOD it is fully possible to kick and play this head in football. command leader skipping in the gate the first head (lying on a map) becomes a that head which it is played in a next round.
he can bite, socialize with players, possibly even rolled on a surface. (idea one unrealized Russian overhead rng. such type of game was planned in "hedgehogs-vs-beavers" in style of bulanok on reasons of Byelorussian dead progect"ezhiki in quake2") if interestingly can describe the rules of game more in detail. however, to hit upon it is not so difficult
___
I beg pardon for my English

Re: nigtmare soccer

Post by Guest »

(;,;) wrote:
Daedalus wrote:Or rat soccer!

there are yet more nightmarish ideas. as is generally known in quake and dark place engine - post mortem players examine circumferential the eyes of dead head. there is modification for quake where the commands of headhunters. torn off head can not respawn, but at pressure of attack simply bites. in a game BLOOD it is fully possible to kick and play this head in football. command leader skipping in the gate the first head (lying on a map) becomes a that head which it is played in a next round.
he can bite, socialize with players, possibly even rolled on a surface. (idea one unrealized Russian overhead rng. such type of game was planned in "hedgehogs-vs-beavers" in style of bulanok on reasons of Byelorussian dead progect"ezhiki in quake2") if interestingly can describe the rules of game more in detail. however, to hit upon it is not so difficult
lol wut.
Guestz

Post by Guestz »

How sad this retro project ends like so many. This is one of the greatest games ever wish i could continue program it.. You guys are so cool despite this. The whole blood story is peculiar: ken silvermans fate, ataris unexplainable unwillingness to release the source, dropped projects,still faithful fanbase.. :rip:
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Faithful fans make great developers, you know...

Post by Guest »

Slink wrote:Faithful fans make great developers, you know...
That is very true.
redcrowdesign
Rat

Post by redcrowdesign »

DemonPostalWrkr wrote:I was thinking, we should come up with a new gameplay mode. But stick Transfusions graphics, etc. If it was sucessful enough, people would probably start playing it enough and maybe someone would make a Blood 3? It would have to be a very good mod though, I dont have any ideas either..
Why don't you make better graphics? I mean add complexity to the models and levels, most modern computers can take it, I mean most people have played HL2.
My suggestion is to turn transfusion into a blood remake, being honest, if you wanna play blood 1 you go download dosbox and play blood 1, if you want transfusion to be different then make it a remake.

What I am suggesting is not to make anything different, but using the exact same graphics and make them more complex like when you are sculpting 3D by subdivision; you first create a cube, then subdivide the faces and create a more complex polyhedron and finally model a sphere, those who have worked in 3D environments will understand. Those who don't, the principle is easy:

On characters/models:
You take for instance the fat zombie and then you add a couple of polygons to the model, add some detail and make the texture more detailed adding some wrinkles and stuff like that, maybe even bump map, some specular map... etc. Nowadays quake engine can take all those things in, I mean, they made Build engine compatible with MD2 models, and possibly MD3, so I don't see why quake 1 engine, which is newer than build can't.

On Maps/levels:
The premise is same as the characters, you got your church bench for example (E1L1) and if I am not mistaken it is composed by like 3 cubes, you just subdivide those cubes and make the bench more BENCH-like, instead of cubey-build-engine-object, I mean, it would look better that way and it's totally doable. Also, adding some uneven terrain would look sweet. The buildings are like giant cubes with textures stamped on the sides, adding only a few polygons can make the difference.

On Effects:
There is no shame in going back to escentials, sprites LOOK GOOD, combine them with particles and LUME effects or glares and you get wondergul effects, I've been working on my own 2D effects for quite a few, and if you know what you are doing you get really cool stuff. Even recycling textures from blood.

And there you have it folks, there is no need to change story line, there is no need to change monsters, gameplay, nothing, just a slight change of attitude.
With new, better looking graphics the game will have a diametrally oppossing look, maybe even with photorealistic graphics, I mean, it would look so good that even I would like to invest my time and/or money on it... A game with cool graphics will attract lots of gamers and perhaps even bring attention back on developing companies to make blood 3 or even blood 1 1/2 <---what happened anyway between blood 2 and 1?!
zZaRDoZz
Acolyte

Post by zZaRDoZz »

All quotes are from redcrowdesign.
Why don't you make better graphics? I mean add complexity to the models and levels, most modern computers can take it, I mean most people have played HL2.
My suggestion is to turn transfusion into a blood remake, being honest, if you wanna play blood 1 you go download dosbox and play blood 1, if you want transfusion to be different then make it a remake
If you explore the various threads concerning Transfusion you'll discover that making TFn as "close" to Blood has always been a goal within reason. Remember the Transfusion project began life when MD2 models were still considered "decent". You'll also note the serious contemplation of changing over to an advanced version of Idtech3 in some of the more recent TFn descussions.
On characters/models:
You take for instance the fat zombie and then you add a couple of polygons to the model, add some detail and make the texture more detailed adding some wrinkles and stuff like that, maybe even bump map, some specular map... etc. Nowadays quake engine can take all those things in, I mean, they made Build engine compatible with MD2 models, and possibly MD3, so I don't see why quake 1 engine, which is newer than build can't.
Transfusion uses the Darkplaces engine, which supports the MD4 model format and some Doom3 lighting effects that you mentioned. The FAQ page is your friend ;)

On Effects:
There is no shame in going back to escentials, sprites LOOK GOOD, combine them with particles and LUME effects or glares and you get wondergul effects, I've been working on my own 2D effects for quite a few, and if you know what you are doing you get really cool stuff. Even recycling textures from blood.
Are you familiar with Icecoldduke's Dead reckoning project? It uses Idtech3 along with blood sprites.