I've noticed something...

General discussion relating to the Transfusion project.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Rekrul

I've noticed something...

Post by Rekrul »

The more hype a project gets, the less likely it is to be completed. Groups like this start out with big goals, put up a web site to tell everyone about the progress, post gameplay videos to YouTube, they get everyone all excited, and then the whole thing just fizzles out.

When I first heard about this project, I was both excited (because quite frankly, the original build engine sucks royally in today's game world) and disappointed, because I KNEW that a finished version of this would never see the light of day. Just like the Dark Forces remake for Jedi Academy will never be finished.
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

So, Mr Lurker, why didn't you tell us then that our project would never be completed? And why are you telling us now?
zZaRDoZz
Acolyte

Post by zZaRDoZz »

Rekrul:
I was both excited (because quite frankly, the original build engine sucks royally in today's game world)
Unfortunately it is the shear power of Blood's version of Build that makes it so hard to replicate with a 3d engine.

What's the sector limit on the number of geometric objects that build can draw at a single time?

Now-

What is the vector (triangles brushes etc) limit on the number of geometric objects that (name your 3d engine) can draw at a single time?

It isn't easy to create a Blood game on a 3d engine. There's a fairly large amount of unfinished material for TFn that has yet to be released do to incomplete code and stability issues (was "the great temple ever released? It was nearing completion in 06.) There's a good reason to "sit tight" as it were. Please take the following point into consideration.

Most of the people working on TFn have jobs, bills, and lives now. Some are in grad school. That means for now, lifes probably a little too hectic to spend vast amounts of time on TFn. That will change in the future however *cue ominous music*
Corbin
Zealot

Re: I've noticed something...

Post by Corbin »

Rekrul wrote:The more hype a project gets, the less likely it is to be completed. Groups like this start out with big goals, put up a web site to tell everyone about the progress, post gameplay videos to YouTube, they get everyone all excited, and then the whole thing just fizzles out.

When I first heard about this project, I was both excited (because quite frankly, the original build engine sucks royally in today's game world) and disappointed, because I KNEW that a finished version of this would never see the light of day. Just like the Dark Forces remake for Jedi Academy will never be finished.
Have you tried building a game? It's tough. You have to start somewhere. Games like this don't just get built overnight. Sometimes it takes years, and Transfusion has been in development for a long time. Like Z said, people moved on.

The important thing? They haven't stopped yet. Give them time.
zZaRDoZz wrote:There's a good reason to "sit tight" as it were. Please take the following point into consideration.
True that. A select number of reasons I can think of off-hand. ;)
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Put-up or Shutup

Post by DustyStyx »

Rekrul: Have you considered that when Transfusion started we had a good user to developer ratio. Something like 3:1; as it stand now Transfusion's user to developer ratio is 100:1. Can you imagine how things would be now if we had 100 happy developers out of the 400+ registered users on the forums? Holly $#!+ that would be frikin AMAZING!!!
I Live...AGAIN
Cabal member

Post by I Live...AGAIN »

You also have to remember that Transfusion (back then Qblood) was created out of necessity. The people of transfusion originated the movement to get the Blood source released.

At that time, there was nothing on the horizon like DosBox that would allow you to play Build games on current machines. Add to that the realization that the Blood source code would never be released and less and less people could actually play Blood, something had to be done.

I forget now if it was actually Greg or Elric or Tim who posted the original screenshot of E1M1 in the Quake engine but thats what got the whole thing started.

This entire undertaking was a tremendous task, and anyone who knows anything about creating games knew this from the beginning.

Did we finish? No
Did we live up to the hype? Probably not.
Will we finish? Who knows?
But did we fail? I say no.

Thousands of people enjoyed the work of TF and it kept the great game we all loved in our minds for years. TF also showed the possibilities of what could be done without the original source code that has fueled countless other Blood mods and projects even today.
Corbin
Zealot

Post by Corbin »

I Live...AGAIN wrote:TF also showed the possibilities of what could be done without the original source code that has fueled countless other Blood mods and projects even today.
This is very true - without Transfusion, Hypertension would have never existed, both figuratively and literally.

If I knew a little more about QuakeC and all that jazz I'd happily help move development along, but it's something I can't really begin to understand until I finish other things first.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Transfusion kept the community alive after the fall of Planet Blood. Even if the game never gets completed, that is something to be proud of. As long as transfusion exists the Blood community will remain. I certainly know the Blood Wiki would never have existed without this project.

Games projects like this can take time. As long as there are people who want it to continue, it will continue at some point, be patient. I am a strong believer of the "when it's done" philosophy with my free software projects, I certainly would not begrudge Transfusion for using it as well. So I for one can wait until it's ready.