Muzzle flashes

General discussion relating to the Transfusion project.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Corbin
Zealot

Muzzle flashes

Post by Corbin »

I was wondering if I could ask a quick question.

The models in Transfusion (whether Unreal or Quake format), or more specifically, weapon models...did they have muzzle flashes that were generated separately or as part of the model in the firing anims? I don't mean part as in, Quake 1-geometry, but as a 2d plane that generated the firing sprite.

In Hypertension I cannot generate a muzzle flash like I would a 2d sprite. If I attempted to do something I'd have to disable weapon bobbing and then attempt to make the sprite appear behind the weapon model (or snapshot the model,add the flash, and decrease the tics in the game), which is pretty hopeless. I have a feeling that even if you guys had it, the MD2 versions didn't carry it over.

So just curious if the muzzle flashes were generated separately? If not, I was thinking of adding a 2d plane in all the MD2's that contained an alpha transparent layer, that way I could "skin" the muzzle flash in the weapon model, and just add it as part of the anim in the QC.

Or something along those lines at least. ^^

Edit: Edits were to fill more information that I left out.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Afaik, in TFn, the model format uses an "anchor point" (or whatever it's called) on the model, then the engine renders a temporary sprite, whose image and positioning is thereafter decided by code. LoL was that too cryptic?
-Slink
Corbin
Zealot

Post by Corbin »

Cool - I kinda figured that. So they already come with these anchor points? Regardless I'll check it out - thanks for the help =)