Animation question

General discussion relating to the Transfusion project.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Denny
Rat

Animation question

Post by Denny »

Hey, I haven't got the chance to play Transfusion yet - going to try it out when I get home. Anyhow, I'm curious regarding animation.

Is there any need for animation to be made?

If I read right, you guys use the MD3 format. Anyone know if there's a workflow to get it working with Maya? (exporters mostly)

I'm mostly curious as I might be able to help. I currently work as an animator on an UE3 title - I wonder if that would be of help. :shrug:
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Hi Denny, welcome to the forum.

Actually our static models are in the MD3 format. We've decided to use the UT2 PSK/PSA format for the models with animations. So you might actually have a leg up.
Denny
Rat

Post by Denny »

Care to share the technical guidelines for bones, hierarchies(names) and such? Is the animations exported at 30fps? Will an animation/model exported with ActorX for Maya8.5 work with Transfusion?

How many animations are needed right now?
predator
Lead Mapper

Post by predator »

Hello Denny, it's good to hear you want to help with the project.

We'll have to wait for our modeler Kazashi to answer your question, that's not my department. Anyway, welcome to the forum.
Denny
Rat

Post by Denny »

I guess I'll just have to wait and see then. :shrug:
Kazashi
Shadow Warrior

Post by Kazashi »

As Dusty said, we use PSK/PSA for our animated models. There are no technical guidelines as such (except maybe for individual modelling packages e.g. I always use a static ROOT bone); basically anything that can be loaded into UnrealEd should work in Transfusion. One thing I will note is that the model centres tend to be located at the feet instead of mid-body. I do my animations at about 25fps, but the speed can be adjusted and fine tuned in the game code.

I use Lightwave to create my animations, it has a plugin that's derived from ActorX, so the "official" plugin for Maya/3ds max should work fine. Just be sure to check the licensing.

Technically there are not many "animations" we need at present. We still need to build a number of models (some monsters, mostly static MD3 models) before they can be animated.
Denny
Rat

Post by Denny »

Yeah, for the PSKs the center should be at the feet like they're already standing on the ground - as it is the format used for uED I suppose the same rules applies here. :)

Christmas holidays is around the corner, when it's over I'll be sure to come back and see if I can help out with anything. :guns:
Denny
Rat

Post by Denny »

Sorry guys, I've been foolish and been trying to join up on too many projects. I have to skip helping out on this one. :shrug:
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

It's all good. Good luck on your other projects. You'll know where to find us if you change your mind.