The Definitive Transfusion Collection - Suggestions

General discussion relating to the Transfusion project.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Willis

Master of the Mask
Lead Programmer

The Definitive Transfusion Collection - Suggestions

Post by Willis »

The topic was originally brought up by Cruiach in the past and has brought quite an interest to me. Making a case for a physical Transfusion disk. I know this isn't directly related to Transfusion developement, and could probably have been posted in General Blood, but I think it is slightly more appropriate here. If there are any objections to such a topic/idea, just say so (Mathieu/Tim/Kazashi, et all).

The direction to go would seem to be a DVD type case as it has more cover space than a typical jewel cd case and is a little more sturdy and collectable.

What I need is suggestions on what you think should be included on the covers and the disc label itself.

Also, content we could legally put on a free CD/DVD to include with Transfusion.

If all goes well, I have a visual rough draft within a week or so of things I already have in mind, but I'd love to hear some of the interesting things any of you may have to add.

If you do fully reply, please answer in two catagories:
- Case/Disc Design
- Disc content (Data to be included on the disc/s)

Lets have some fun with this! :)
Elric
Cabal member

Post by Elric »

I think it's a little too soon to think about that frankly. We did a CD release (in fact an ISO release) after TF 1.01 but that was because this release was well stabilized at that time. We don't want players to have to patch the TF version we will put on this CD right after downloading it :?

Also, I'm not sure how distributing TF CDs (even free CDs) stands regarding our agreement with Infogrames. I'm thinking about the cover in particular
-ED
Cabal member

Post by -ED »

I agree with Elric. it's too early now...
regarding legality - i believe that can be solved too. if for example CD is not commercial i think we won't have any troubles. by non-commercial i understand that any 'price' will include cd production, postage and only CD-producing fee. that's the whole pointof agreement we have i guess - we can't make money with the project or sell project itself. but producing a CD is costing something anyway, right?

regarding BOX: DVD type box would be fine IMHO...
regarding content: i think there are some things we can easily put on CD, but we'll have to contact several people and companies. in any case i believe it's not a big deal. anyway i hope we can almost freely and without problem include shareware Blood if we want, some tools for level creations, ... and what can it be else? actually nothing comes to mind right now...

last word: my experience of 6 years in desighn is always at your desposal for getting print-friendly files. CMYK colors, corrections, separations, bleedings - i can help with all of that if needed, just let me know. more to say - in my spare time I can try my hand in creating my vision of covers. if we ever need that - good, if not or somebody makes anything better - good anyway...

and cover copyrights - it may end up in inability to put screenshots on cover 9however that sounds total nonsence) andof course mentioning BLOOD... or some particular mentioning...not sure
Toddd
Axe Zombie

Post by Toddd »

A CD/DVD would be possible once the Transfusion project has recreated EVERYTHING. Currently a lot of things like textures and sounds from Blood are still used.

My idea: make two .pk3s in transfusion. One for the original content and one for the textures, levels (conversions not created from scratch), sounds and stuff taken directly from Blood. So you always know what is copyrighted by Monolith and what isn't. Once everything is recreated you can make the DVD. If you GPL everything you can even sell it!!!
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

I like your thinking, sir Willis, but as has been mentioned before, it's too early!

I haven't tried Transfusion yet, as I've said, so I'm not sure if I have an opinion on this. . .

got an idea. Seeing as this is the future of Blood (after Blood has died), why not make a bloody, skeletal handprint with Transfusion written below?

I.e. a blood splat like the normal Blood 1 hand, but a skeleton's hand instead? :twisted:

What do you think? I can't give my opinion on the content of the CD.
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

Sorry about posting twice in a row, but if I was given an idea of the shape of the box, I'd be able to help more.

Will it be a dvd box? One of the usual, large computer game boxes? A jewel-case? Or something completely different?
Willis

Master of the Mask
Lead Programmer

Post by Willis »

From the form of cost effectiveness vs content, DVD cases are the best way to go.

Printed glossy boxes can get a bit expensive, but empty DVD cases are cheap and have a holder for a paper cover (protected by plastic) and room for an insert inside the case, Mostly like a DVD movie.

Also, DVD Cases hold up very well in mailing with little extra packaging, and they also aren't really TOO bulky to have laying around in your game collection.
Daedalus
The Dreaming God

Post by Daedalus »

You didn't comment on my idea!! :(
Willis

Master of the Mask
Lead Programmer

Post by Willis »

While creepily cool, a skeletal hand blood print makes the series seem too dead to me. Maybe an arm with a skeletal hand grabbing a Transfusion bag reforming into a zombie arm or something, showing the regaining of life; of course, I suck at anything relating to arts and graphics.