Return to Castle Wolfensien SP code released

Want to get your hands Bloody?
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Return to Castle Wolfensien SP code released

Post by DustyStyx »

It's that time of year again, and QuakeCon is in full swing. It looks like they've seen fit to release the source code for RTCW this time round.

PlanetWolfenstein news article

Would it be possible to use the SP code to kick start the SP side of TFn?
zZaRDoZz
Acolyte

Post by zZaRDoZz »

is Darkplaces able to use anything that's not QuakeC? If not then your suggestion has deep implications.
Tchernobog
Tchernobog's Love Child

Post by Tchernobog »

Well, speaking with no personal experience with any of these engines, DarkPlaces has been heavily expanded. I would not be surprised if it has more than just QuakeC support.

The AI in RTCW was quite good, and it may not be blood-like, but it would be more than acceptable in Transfusion. Of course, I am sure I am not alone in thinking that any single player would be acceptable for Transfusion at the moment.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

I'm not sure if it does to be honest. I'm just trying to stir up conversation & get the programming thread for the most part, but I'll try and contact LH to see if it does, or if it could.

Even if it doesn't support it, you would think a programmer could port code from C++ to QC.
Corbin
Zealot

Post by Corbin »

Since DP is based off of Quake, doesn't that come with some sort of single-player support? Even then, there's probably other projects for Quake that has the single-player stuff open source.

Is it just finding someone who can program the SP-side of things that you need?
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Oh, it does. And we even have a little bit in the SVN, but it needs a lot of work.
Corbin
Zealot

Post by Corbin »

Hmmm, it's all QC right...is there a link to the latest SVN build you guys have? I'd like to see how this single player code works if possible, I can't imagine it would be too difficult if it's not far from Quake. I have been looking at a bit of QC as far as single-player in Quake goes however.

I've also thought about what it'd be like switching to Quake 2. Can convert everything to Q2 format, and it already has working SP code.

Then again, so does RTCW...wouldn't have any stuff from DP though, then again, wouldn't be very hard to port everything over to a Q3-compatible format, and it's not like you guys use the super advanced stuff DP has to offer anyway.
zZaRDoZz
Acolyte

Post by zZaRDoZz »

There's plenty of open source qc stuff out there. It's just that so little of it fits blood's persona. Translating all of tf's qc code into c++ is roughly the same level of work as adding c++ compatibility to DP. So there's no real advantage at least as far as time frame or work difficulty is concerned.
zZaRDoZz
Acolyte

Post by zZaRDoZz »

I'm beginning to think that effectinfo is the early stages of a scripting language.
http://dpwiki.slipgateconstruct.com/ind ... ral_syntax
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

IRC wrote:DustyStyx: Hi Forest, I was just curious, if some one was in the mind to merge the newly released SP code from RTCW to DP, could it be done?
DustyStyx: or rather, have DP act on it. Rather than QC I mean.
DustyStyx: or would it have to be converted to QC?
LordHavoc: umm...
LordHavoc: yeah, converted to QC
LordHavoc: adapting the engine to run their game dlls would be a major chore
DustyStyx: ah
LordHavoc: fteqw runs q3 but not rtcw (yet)
LordHavoc: but fteqw doesn't attempt to provide the same feature set on each game type
Corbin
Zealot

Post by Corbin »

I figured. Quake 2 and beyond uses DLL structures whereas Quake 1 used QC. Supposedly the more advanced DLL was easier to code for than QC.

I wonder if there's an easy way to convert between the two?
timhale
Cabal member

Another Route

Post by timhale »

One option I haven't seen come through yet is side-porting everything to the OpenGL version of Duke3D. The engine would need some tuning to handle the events custom to blood maps. The weapon / HUD / AI / misc code would need to be redone.
Aside from that, all content ever created could run and be incrementally enhanced with engine/game code revisions.

Side note: The #1 thing I want to see is a high-res pack for blood. No mod/TC/etc has really hit that yet. The Duke3D one looks nice.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

The postMortem folks are working on that with their C2G project, Tim. Dimebog was trying to get a hold of you, to ask questions about your map2map converter.