map2map converter?

Discuss aspects of converting Blood maps to DarkPlaces.
Corbin
Zealot

Post by Corbin »

Elric wrote:
Corbin wrote:Yeah, when converting Blood's maps to Build's format, sometimes it won't process the map fully (gives errors then bombs), but I have yet to try another version.
Please, if you have problems with Blud2b or if you find bugs in it, let me know.

I frequently get something like this when converting certain Blood maps to Duke's format (which I then convert to Doom, but that's not important).

Any ideas?
Elric
Cabal member

Post by Elric »

Corbin wrote:I frequently get something like this when converting certain Blood maps to Duke's format (which I then convert to Doom, but that's not important).

Any ideas?
I think I'll have the time to work on that during this week-end. I suspect it's just the "Soft validity test" that is too "hard" for this particular map, but I would like to be able to test that by myself.

The map you used is E3M4 from the official game, right? Or is it from a mod? (in this case, tell me where to download it - and/or any other maps you have problems converting)
Corbin
Zealot

Post by Corbin »

Awesome!

Yeah, the map is from the original game. There's still a few maps I've been unable to convert, I've just gotten lucky by using an older version.

Hey, one more question - not sure if this has to do with converting things to a DOOM map or not - does Blood use sector-over-sector? I notice after I convert a map (in this case, E3M1) to Duke and then to Doom, a lot of the sectors are on top of each other. Just wondering.

Thanks again man.
Elric
Cabal member

Post by Elric »

Corbin wrote:Awesome!

Yeah, the map is from the original game. There's still a few maps I've been unable to convert, I've just gotten lucky by using an older version.
I took a quick look at your problem. It definitely seems to be the validity check that is too strict. I'll test the current version of blud2b with all the official maps this week-end, fix the code, and release a new version. I just realized there is an unreleased minor fix to blud2b in the code repository that I need to release anyhow :P
Corbin wrote:Hey, one more question - not sure if this has to do with converting things to a DOOM map or not - does Blood use sector-over-sector? I notice after I convert a map (in this case, E3M1) to Duke and then to Doom, a lot of the sectors are on top of each other. Just wondering.
I'm pretty sure Blood uses sector-over-sector, indeed. That said, I'm not a Blood mapper (I barely run mapedit a couple of times in my entire life, and it was a very long time ago).
Corbin wrote:Thanks again man.
You're welcome. Thanks for your bug report :)
Corbin
Zealot

Post by Corbin »

Elric wrote:
Corbin wrote:Thanks again man.
You're welcome. Thanks for your bug report :)
Anytime, if you need help testing the new version just hit me up and I'll be glad to check it out! Always happy to help :D
Elric
Cabal member

Post by Elric »

Corbin wrote:Anytime, if you need help testing the new version just hit me up and I'll be glad to check it out! Always happy to help :D
I have fixed the code, now in version "1.0 beta". New ReBUILD code and binaries snapshots - including blud2b - are available here (timestamp: 101120). Let me know if it works OK for you.
Corbin
Zealot

Post by Corbin »

Elric wrote:
Corbin wrote:Anytime, if you need help testing the new version just hit me up and I'll be glad to check it out! Always happy to help :D
I have fixed the code, now in version "1.0 beta". New ReBUILD code and binaries snapshots - including blud2b - are available here (timestamp: 101120). Let me know if it works OK for you.
It works great! Converts everything over just fine! Thanks again for the patch!
Elric
Cabal member

Post by Elric »

Corbin wrote:It works great! Converts everything over just fine!
Great. I'll remove the "beta" tag from the version number then.
Corbin wrote:Thanks again for the patch!
Again, thanks to you for the report and the tests. :)
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Nice. :) See this post as well for previous Mapedit-Quake converter: viewtopic.php?p=26517#26517
timhale
Cabal member

Re: map2map converter?

Post by timhale »

The converter was originally written for Duke3d to Quake. Some European guys made a total conversion of Duke in DC for Quake IIRC. Map2map was the program they used for the basic stuff. At some point I asked them nicely about releasing the source, and they did.

My work with it was mainly commenting on what the functions did, as well as minor tweaks aimed towards making it easier to convert blood maps. The biggest hurdle was concave/convex angles. Build would let you make shapes that don't render well in OpenGL unless the shapes are broken into several smaller shapes. If memory serves that was where I got stuck and started learning Worldedit and other mapping programs. Never did figure out Tesselation in OpenGL.

On an off-topic note... if I knew then what I know now: Shadow Warrior, Duke Nukem, and the Build code were all released. During the Re-build time we figured out most of the structures used in the blood specific file formats. If I had to make a blood project today, I'd use a mixture of the SW/DN3D game code and run with it. Sector over sector implementation was handled best in SW, and Duke has an ok mod system. There's already a high-res release of Duke, and several OpenGL/modern networking solutions worked out.
zZaRDoZz
Acolyte

Re: map2map converter?

Post by zZaRDoZz »

Hey Tim. Good to see you popping in once in a while. The map2map converter still sees some use from time to time so it's always great to get info on it.