What I am working on (renamed)

Discuss model development here.
boss429
Cabal member

What I am working on (renamed)

Post by boss429 »

I reskinned the voodo doll because I thought the normal skin didn't look like Blood's voodo doll. It was too brown. Done in Paint Shop Pro. I'm not completely happy with it, but here it is:

http://www.freewebs.com/fixxxer575/
Last edited by boss429 on Fri Nov 18, 2005 06:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Hmm... Your work is good, but the hair seems off, and the bones need shading/depth. But it looks alright! But you have smelly dog farts. But I like you! :) Little outside joke... ever watch Family Guy? That is called a "compliment sandwich." :lol:
-Slink
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Hey don't knock PSP =]P Though I'm partial to the voodoo doll we have already. If your not happy with your skin, work on it untill you are happy with it; or if you'd like to skin something that's not been skinned yet let me know, we still have 16 models that havn't been finished yet.

body1.md3
calipers.md3
goalposts.md3
hanging8.md3
innocent_hanging.md3 *oBe
innocent_sitting.md3 *oBe
jar1.md3
lantern1.md3
leg1.md3
light1.md3
metbarrel.md3 *Cruaich
pram.md3 *Cruaich
skull1.md3
skullrag.md3 *Cruaich
tree.md3 *oBe
tree2.md3 *oBe
r_cain
The Drinking God

Post by r_cain »

Maybe we re-do it as a tiny caleb for multiplayer, or techno-dude (sorry, i neveer remember the spelling)
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Uh.. no.
r_cain
The Drinking God

Post by r_cain »

lol
boss429
Cabal member

Post by boss429 »

Slink wrote:Hmm... Your work is good, but the hair seems off, and the bones need shading/depth. But it looks alright! But you have smelly dog farts. But I like you! :) Little outside joke... ever watch Family Guy? That is called a "compliment sandwich." :lol:
-Slink
Thanks for the feedback. I didn't modify the hair at all.
Cruaich wrote:Hey don't knock PSP =]P Though I'm partial to the voodoo doll we have already. If your not happy with your skin, work on it untill you are happy with it; or if you'd like to skin something that's not been skinned yet let me know, we still have 16 models that havn't been finished yet.

body1.md3
calipers.md3
goalposts.md3
hanging8.md3
innocent_hanging.md3 *oBe
innocent_sitting.md3 *oBe
jar1.md3
lantern1.md3
leg1.md3
light1.md3
metbarrel.md3 *Cruaich
pram.md3 *Cruaich
skull1.md3
skullrag.md3 *Cruaich
tree.md3 *oBe
tree2.md3 *oBe
I'd be happy to try skinning some of those. By the way when I said "I'm not completely happy with it" I ment I wasn't happy with my skin. PSP is a great program.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

I'm going to assume you have the ability to get the model texture from the pk3 file, (you'd have to if you got the voodoo skin out) You should be able to extract any of the models listed under the models/world directory in your pk3 file. Do you have a model viewing program like jMD3? There should be a feature where you can export the UV map for the model and then use that as your 2D wiremesh layer in PSP.

I've uploaded my updated world models directory here. It should updated your copy of Transfusion to include all the world model skins done so far. If it dosen't (like the tombstones are still wiremesh) it probably means the older .tga textures are still overwriting the newer .jpg textures. If that happens you can either save the new textrures as tga files or delete out all the old textures (tga/jpg) from you models.pk3 directory.
r_cain
The Drinking God

Post by r_cain »

Ok, PSP, what is this?

Im trying to dabble with 3d-animation at the mo, maybe to put a litle in the promo. . . .
boss429
Cabal member

Post by boss429 »

Cruaich wrote:I'm going to assume you have the ability to get the model texture from the pk3 file, (you'd have to if you got the voodoo skin out) You should be able to extract any of the models listed under the models/world directory in your pk3 file. Do you have a model viewing program like jMD3? There should be a feature where you can export the UV map for the model and then use that as your 2D wiremesh layer in PSP.

I've uploaded my updated world models directory here. It should updated your copy of Transfusion to include all the world model skins done so far. If it dosen't (like the tombstones are still wiremesh) it probably means the older .tga textures are still overwriting the newer .jpg textures. If that happens you can either save the new textrures as tga files or delete out all the old textures (tga/jpg) from you models.pk3 directory.
Thanks for the model link. (I know how to use pk3s) :)
where can I find jMD3?

r_cain, PSP = Paint Shop Pro.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

jMD3 + Java1.3 bundle.

jMD3 won't work with newer versions of Java for some reason and you probably already have a newer version of Java installed. So, extract the jre1.3 folder + contents to your C:\Program Files\Java directory. You'll need to run it with the C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.3\bin\md3view.bat, wich will force jMD3 to use the v1.3 java.exe in the same directory. You'll probably want to make a shortcut to the .bat file someplace easy to get to.

To export the wire mesh, first save a blank image with the dementions you'd like to work with (ie 1024x1024) then load the model you are working on into jMD3 (File>Open Model...). Once it's loaded apply your blank texture to the model (Model>Apply Texture...) Now you can export the UV map (File>Export>Export Texture Coordinate Maps...) It will save as a jpg image. Open that in PSP, make it a layer and delete out the black bits.

jMD3 controls: left mouse = rotate, right mouse = zoom in/out, shift+left mouse = pan
boss429
Cabal member

Post by boss429 »

Ok thanks for the info! I was working on a skin for jar1 (brainjar) but the glass part of the jar needs to be tranparent/additive. How would I do this?
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

It'll do it automatically, it's really kinda strange. Load it up in game and you'll see what I mean.
boss429
Cabal member

Post by boss429 »

Cruaich wrote:It'll do it automatically, it's really kinda strange. Load it up in game and you'll see what I mean.
That sounds odd :? Actually I can't get the model to display in game. I played E4M1 and went into the brain storage room and there was no brain jar on the stand thing. What map have you got the brain jar to display on?

By the way your textures are awsome. How did you learn how to make textures?
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

I think we (Transfusion not Blood) put one in e1m1, in the crematorium room. Though that's not been in all versions of the map. Check the shelf.